Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-27-2001, 03:21 AM   #41
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: What about BAB

Thanks for the reference to the Friedman article. Somehow, despite being sidelined with shoulder surgery, I missed it. Yes, he does a good job of explaining the statistics.

Pete P.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-27-2001, 05:10 AM   #42
jackbird
Founding Member

Default My rebuilt titanium reinforced shoulder works great.

Top local doc did his best work ever. It's stronger than the other side by a lot. Hope your prognosis is similar and you're riding again soon.
jackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 06:22 AM   #43
bimota
Founding Member

There are significant things you can do to improve your personal safety. Buy a top quality CE approved suit, not one with just CE approved armor or no armor at all. Buy a top of the line full face helmet. Get gloves to match. Never ride anywhere without race boots. Is it expensive? You bet. Is it a pain in the a$$ sometimes? For sure. Does it look cool on a cruiser? No. But you asked for better protection; not cheap, easy, or stylish. It's basically what people wear to race. And if you're addicted to speed, you should be wearing the same gear.
bimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 10:07 AM   #44
stevegrab
Founding Member

Default Re: NHTSA reports Motorcycle deaths on the rise

Sure, it does in most places. I was just pointing out that the change in the law doesn't suddenly mean everybody is doing it.

I was surprised while riding in CA visiting family last year, to see all the cruiser riders wearing helmets. I live in OH, and many here (mostly cruisers, but also Wingers, and sportbikes) don't wear helmets. All the people I ride with do.

Strange how you can tell you're in a state with a helmet law. While riding in WV this summer, I saw a guy on a chopper, big ape-hangers, he was wearing jeans, boots, and a leather vest (no shirt) open. But he had on a cheap little skull cap helmet. I thought, "Oh yeah, they have a helmet law here." The site was hilarious.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 08:16 PM   #45
UWE999
Founding Member

Default Re: NHTSA reports Motorcycle deaths on the rise

>> along with education about helmet usage, as there are a lot of misconceptions out there about them ...

Not only are a lot of people not wearing any helmets - in States with helmets laws a lot of people are wearing so-called "novelty" helmets - small plastic helmets with no protection at all - similar to riding without a helmet - and there are new Kevlar helmets out there that offer better protection - they are DOT approved and cost $100 - $150 - very affordable!!!

BIG UWE
http://www.CruiserCustomizing.com/uwe999
UWE999 is offline   Reply With Quote