Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-26-2001, 11:45 AM   #31
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Enough already......

In the 4 years that I have been riding now, I personally witnessed four major crashes. Fortunately, no one was gravely injured in any of them, but in each case, the crash was caused my pure inexperience and/or stupidity. No amount of my tax dollars aimed at research would have prevented these. Motorcyclists assume risks when they get on a motorcycle. Even if there were no roads and no traffic, just barren wilderness, people travelling on motorcycles would be injured more often and more severely than those that traveled in a car. People cannot be protected from themselves.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2001, 11:46 AM   #32
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Correction.........

"caused by pure inexperience......"
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 11:51 AM   #33
Lincoln
Founding Member

Default it would inflate into a large cocoon-like ball...

...that could just bounce it's rider around until safety is reached. Of course, there's always the possibility that it could just bounce around the highway indefinitely, getting rammed and punted from one vehicle to another. i can see some possible freeway antics by unfeeling drivers created by these safe, yet fun, safety balls..
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 11:52 AM   #34
Dennisfootpole
Registered Member

Default Re: NHTSA reports Motorcycle deaths on the rise

The helmet law definitely affected the number of riders wearing helmets in California. Before the law helmetless riders could be seen on a regular basis, now I NEVER see a rider without a helmet.
Old 09-26-2001, 12:35 PM   #35
jackbird
Founding Member

Default SmartBag -- How It Could Be Done

These days it's really cheap and easy to have made special purpose computer chips. A SmartBag chip could sense a coming impact using autofocus camera type rangefinding just in time to pop open only appropriately located airbags located all over the suit.

One has to have some degree of faith in one's equipment and one's skill to ride at all.

I started this as a joke, but the more I think about it, the more realistic it starts to sound.
jackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 12:44 PM   #36
jackbird
Founding Member

Default Bungee Balls! Freeway Fun for Everyone!

They could be used to carry passengers, just bouncing along behind the bike. My wife has an annoying habit of screaming at the top of her lungs every time we exceed 100 miles per hour. From inside the ball towed behind the bike, her habit would seem cured to me.
jackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 01:27 PM   #37
oldjapbikes
Founding Member

Default There is a risk - are you willing?

Hopefully I won't ditto too many previous posts - there is a statistical risk to everything and you must decide how much you are willing to take.

Motorcycles have obvious benefits/costs which must be taken into account. I wish that they'd teach more of this in MSF or DMV motorcycle instruction, but you really have to study the primary causes of ending up on the wrong side of statistics and then doing everything reasonable to mitigate those risks.

I have a friend who was riding along and was broadsided by a car who ran a red light. He's recovering (please pray for Nate's continued recovery, miraculous to date!). Nothing wrong on his part; so how can we learn from that? risk mitigation. Safety gear, visibility, adequate bike performance; drive like you're a target or invisible; vigilance, avoidance of target fixation, etc.

There are always going to be stupid people out there; make sure you're not one of them. As someone once said, "keeping (or protecting) men from folly turns them into fools"

oldjapbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 02:05 PM   #38
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Let's get real, guys. There is a lot of banter about car drivers, but the statistics here only show REPORTED accidents. Your average crash, in reality, is typically caused by rider error, usually in a turn. Helmets will help, but increased education is key to solving this as well. I used to work at a dealership, and about 75% of the accidents I saw were the direct result of rider error. The riders were typically injured, just not seriously enough to require an ambulance ride.

Tougher licensing will help, along with education about helmet usage, as there are a lot of misconceptions out there about them. Education has been very effective at getting people to use the front brake, so I believe it can work to get people to use helmets too.
Old 09-26-2001, 03:54 PM   #39
work2fish
Founding Member

That's a 15% increase year-to-year, but if the number of bikes on the road increased by 16%, then technically it's a decline in deaths. I suspect it's the usual causes - inexperience riders, unfamiliar bikes, car drivers not seeing us and taking left turns in front of us, some alcohol involved, and of course bigger, faster bikes that are more difficult to swerve and stop.
work2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 07:59 PM   #40
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Actually, bikes today are easier to swerve and stop. It's just that they're going faster (sometimes).