Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-26-2001, 07:00 AM   #21
Grover
Founding Member

Default Re: Just the facts,

I've always wondered about that myself and never made the public opinion connection. Thanks for the 411. Here's a suggestion, why not use the flip-up full face helmets that I've seen around lately? Full protection, officers face is visible if he gets off the bike and flips up the visor/jaw-line part of the helment... Just a thought.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2001, 07:19 AM   #22
12er
Founding Member

From what Ive heard they have been using them in Europe for years. Ive also wondered the same thing though, the protection is there, use it.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 07:57 AM   #23
tbuse
Founding Member

Default Re: NHTSA reports Motorcycle deaths on the rise

At Bike Week 2000, Daytona had a record number of fatalities. I believe the number was around 16. After making helmets optional, Bike Week 2001 had 6 fatalities, including one where a rider was run over by two semis. Was the difference the helmet law? I don't think it was. I think it was a very aggressive campaign by the local authorities to try and get the automobile drivers to pay attention. Still, four of the six fatalities this year were cased by bone head drivers running over bikes. Contrary to what the all knowing doctors who run the NHTSA think, education of riders and motorists will have the biggest effect on lowering traffic deaths.
tbuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 08:00 AM   #24
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default What problem?

At what point do motorcycle crash numbers reach the point when they may be considered "not a problem" anymore?

People ride, people crash. No amount of research will change that. If you still want to donate money to the federal governement to conduct research about why people riding motorcycles crash them, however, feel free.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 09:26 AM   #25
stevegrab
Founding Member

Default Re: preuming they're interested

You hit on a key point, "presuming they're interested". Many young riders (25 & under) are just into it because they think it will attract women, or to do cool stunts like their heroes (StarBoyz, Las Vegas Extreme, etc). They don't care to hear about safety, take an MSF course or wear appropriate gear. In many towns they just go out on Friday/Saturday nights and hang out at the bars, doing stupid .

Its a shame they don't get some training first. Then have some more experieneced riders take them out and practice riding. After they may continue their foolish stunts, but at least they'd have some experience.

Of course the drinking and riding has got to go.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 09:28 AM   #26
granny
Founding Member

I doubt that the repeal of helmet laws had no effect. While I agree that no helmet can protect against all possible forms of head/neck trauma, there are frequently occuring injury scenarios in which helmets help. Get training, wear protective gear, realize that you are invisible (or worse yet, a tasty target), trust no one and ride safely.
granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 09:33 AM   #27
stevegrab
Founding Member

And one of those points of education for riders should be wearing helmets. All riders, cruisers, sportbikes, Gold Wings, whatever.

Keep in mind that the passing (or repealing) of a helmet law does not necessarily impact the number of riders wearing helmets.

Just like raising or lowering the speed limit does not mean people go faster or slower. (I know you think as soon as the speed limit is raised people speed up. But I know of a stretch of interstate near me where it went up to 65 but for months many people were still going 60 or less, because there was agressive enforcement of the 55 limit before, and that's the speed the became accustomed to driving.)
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 10:33 AM   #28
bigskybum
Founding Member

the Hurt Report was possibly the last time any real facts were compiled, and that work was done in 1981. it is surely time for an update. the hurt report emphasized inexperience, lack of training, and drugs or alcohol as major factors in motorcycle accidents. most of us can deal with those factors with a bit of time and maturity.

another factor identified in the Hurt Report, one i continue to fear is "conspicuity." it's hard to deal with the cager who never sees you. as has often been said, "ride like the cagers are aiming for you."
bigskybum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 10:50 AM   #29
HyperBusa
Founding Member

I don't know the true root cause of increased deaths, but if I hear about one more dealer selling some 18 yr old kid a Gixxer1000 or Busa as their first bike I'm going to scream.
HyperBusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 11:43 AM   #30
Dennisfootpole
Registered Member

Default Re: As soon as you leave seat,pegs,handlebars it

So how does the smart technology work? How would it know you are "about" to hit something painful?

I'm a little skeptical, given that airbags in cars have killed so many people. I can picture my airsuit suddenly inflating as I get off the bike in front of a grocery store.