Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-13-2001, 09:45 AM   #61
ZRXRy
Founding Member

Default Re: Kawi ZZR 1200 was: Is this the new Honda ST1300?

One big problem with the Trophy 1200 and the ZZR 1200 - chain drive. Not a big problem for some, perhaps, but I know a lot of guys who consider it a major issue, a deal-breaker. For guys who rack up 500-1000 mile days on occasion, in all weather, chain drive sucks the big one. OTOH, I think that new ZZR, especially if they make some hard luggage available (how will it fit around those bat-wings on the rear end, though?), would be a hell of a ride.
ZRXRy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-13-2001, 01:16 PM   #62
Borg-Biker
Founding Member

Default The ST isn't ugly! Far from it.

I don't find this ST ugly at all. The old one -although a great bike- styling wise was very carlike; in other words:boring. This looks nice, sporty but not too sporty. If you want more sport, the new VFR800 will be sporty and WILL have optional sidebags AND a trunk! It looks VERY nice. I think the ST will fit nicely between Luxo- GL and Sport-VFR.
Borg-Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2001, 01:23 PM   #63
Borg-Biker
Founding Member

Default Re: Kawi ZZR 1200 was: Is this the new Honda ST1300?

Ouch. That ZZR fairing has GOT to go! It looks like they were inspired by the newer Katanas, which aren't very pretty either. So it's a ZX11 with an uglier fairing. No- I don't care how refined or powerfull it is, I would have to be able to look at it in my garage!
Old 09-13-2001, 01:40 PM   #64
Borg-Biker
Founding Member

Default Ok so all of BMW's bike with fairings copied Honda.

That makes about as much sense as your point.

Ok. Out of the two bikes, they both have boxer engines except the Honda? What am I missing? They are the identical size ? No no no no. Your arguments are weak.

If ANYTHING, the Honda is a copy of the FJR. It looks just as much like it as the BMW. You are obviously biased, and therefore I can't take you seriously.Oh, but wait- the ST's engine is a longitudinal V, so they must be copying Moto Guzzi. Sheesh.

The Honda, while no Ducati in the styling Dept., HAS some style. BMW motorcycles are great. But their styling looks like it was designed by the engineers, which means passionless. I looked at the pictures, and the ST shares nothing more than a GENERAL silouette and mission of providing a great sport touring bike for those who still like corners and power. Get on with life.
Old 09-13-2001, 05:31 PM   #65
mj
Founding Member

Default Re: Is this the new Honda ST1300?

For the average person the linked brakes are just great, especially in an emergency situation. All this talk about modulating the brakes with a little more or less front or rear brake is nothing but drivel.

Wake up, this ia a touring bike, built for a passenger and luggage. If you want to modulate your own brakes tour on a gsxr 1000 !!!

mj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2001, 09:10 PM   #66
HughH
Founding Member

Let's not forget the greatest sport tourer ever made. The Yamaha GTS-1000

You can still pick one up for under $8000 if you look.

HughH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 01:55 AM   #67
FelixtheCat
Founding Member

According to UK site www.insidebikes.com, Honda showcased their 2002 models in paris recently. There's an article on a new FireBlade, VFR 800, Pan European, VTR1000 SP-2 and a Hornet with a 918cc Fireblade engine. The picture of the Pan looks pretty similar to what you have here
FelixtheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 02:05 AM   #68
FelixtheCat
Founding Member

Actually, there's a whole lot more details to be found in yet another UK site on Honda's 2002 models @ www.motorcyclenews.com
FelixtheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 06:54 AM   #69
TorqNut
Founding Member

Default New VFR

http://motorcycledaily.com/10sept01honda2002.html
TorqNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 08:29 AM   #70
Philbiker
Founding Member

Default Not really a problem.

Modern O-Ring chains are very easy to deal with for touring. I've put many 500+ mile days on my GPZ1100 and the only chain problem I've had was caused by dealership negligence and was near me. I got 29K miles out of my OEM chain/sprockets and the replacements are doing great. A centerstand and a chain is fine for sport touring.

And I think that a shaft is a "dealbreaker" for just as many people as a chain is. I know people who are serious about SPORT touring want chains. But a sport tourer with a chain MUST have a centerstand.
Philbiker is offline   Reply With Quote