Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-09-2001, 02:52 PM   #41
vfr800yellow
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda

Ya dude, I've already watched a guy bite some serious gravel, because of his BMW R1150RT "Linked Brakes"! Who half-ass copied who!? The only thing I see is a moveable windscreen that makes it resemble a Beemer. To me the front cowling reeks VFR. Headlight is somewhere between the VFR and the Goldwing. And the bags look like the X-Wing - and that the part they SHOULD have copied the Beemer on. It appears to be an awesome bike: An ST with just a good set of updates. The reason I think it's taken so long is you can't find really any fault in the ST1100 except that it's a little vanilla.
vfr800yellow is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2001, 03:00 PM   #42
vfr800yellow
Founding Member

And another DAMNED thing. "the more i think about this notion, the more it yanks my chain" BMW has been trying to copy the ST with the RT since, what, '96!? The ST has been around since '89 - '90?! If BMW want my money, the need to rip the twin out of the RT and slap that flat 4 in it. Then you're talking business. A toned down K1200LT. I digress!
Old 09-09-2001, 03:20 PM   #43
starvingstudent
Founding Member

What about a K1200RS with hard bags? That sounds like what you're looking for. Making an RS, RT, and LT all with the same motor would be overkill for the market--that's why there's no R1150LT or K1200RT.

As for who came first with aesthetic designs (whether you're talking sport-tourers or cruisers or whatever), WHO CARES. You're riding a motorcycle, not studying art history.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2001, 11:28 PM   #44
FlyingDutchman
Founding Member

Default Re: Is this the new Honda ST1300?

"it would make a roadster with much lower maintenance"

Yeah but not on a Guzzi!!!!

I've owned a LeMans for 8 years and cannot attest to low repairs.....

For 4 years I'm on a VFR and had didly squat to repair.

My brother's ST1100 of 8 years old is parked outside (my birthday present to him - bike cover- appear to be a waste of money...), ridden all year except of snow, has ZERO repairs, just wear & tear like disk pads...

I drove the new V11 LeMans a few weeks ago. The front fairing is not as pig ugly as it appears on photo's, the engine revs much faster and the brakes are superb. Would I buy one (if I could)? Nope.

YMMV

Flying Dutchman
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 03:04 AM   #45
cruiz-euro
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda copies BMW oh yeah baby

It is obvious that ST1300 is a BMW copy. Both of them have boxer twins apart from the Honda. Also the engines are of identical size i.e. in the 1000 – 1500 cc bracket.

Furthermore they will both have power and torque curves. Albeit Honda will have much more of both in their desperate effort to hide the fact that the ST1300 is nothing more than a blatant copy of the beemer.

cruiz-euro

cruiz-euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 03:09 AM   #46
vfr800yellow
Founding Member

I was just making a point at the dig from the first post. I actually love both. I love ST's I love Beemers, and own a VFR800. I just love to ride.
Old 09-10-2001, 03:18 AM   #47
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default I agree, slightly different reasons...

YES that is one ugly motorcycle. Too bad, since the ST1100 was one of Honda's more attractive bikes. OTOH I feel sport-touring bikes should fill a gap somewhere between sportbikes (which are absurdly uncomfortable to "tour" on especially for anybody remotely approaching 6' tall) and "two-wheeled Buicks" i.e. full-dress two-up touring rigs. Looks to me like a sportbike suffering from both morbid obesity and infantile personality disorder, but then we don't know how it performs yet which can make up for a lot in appearance. It doesn't *look* anywhere near as comfy as a Concours except I'm sure the engine will be less buzzy. The Connie is still interesting enough in the twisties after all these year to satisfy most "sport tourers" and if it's not then there's the Sprint ST. Both have attractive prices, especially the Connie. But IF the new Honda comes in around the same price as the ST1100 with a lot more punch, then it'll surely be a hit in spite of its "cartoonish" styling as you put it --a good adjective.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 03:42 AM   #48
banda
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda copies BMW oh yeah baby

You're overlooking the obvious. Both the RT and the ST are single track vehicles with two wheels, configured with one in front of the other.

Honda should be ashamed of themselves for perpetrating such a blatant rip off.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 03:52 AM   #49
kbeemer
Founding Member

Get Real!! BMW has had an R-RT model bike out since 1978. Maybe you forgot first Factory full faired bike in production!! R100RT the current R1150RT is just the evolution of that model and is certainly not a Honda Rip off!! Is it any wonder that these bikes look close? I think not, they are both aimed at the exact same nitch in the market I find it no big suprise since what works for BMW works for Honda or any other Manufacturer.
kbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 04:02 AM   #50
HP
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda copies BMW

Do you own the 1150RT?
HP is offline   Reply With Quote