Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 08-17-2001, 08:54 AM   #31
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Re: Is Harley

Harley built a plant near Kansas City several years ago and all Sportsters have been assembled there for quite awhile now. The V-Rod is also made in KC. They have no brand-new plants, but do plan to increase production somewhat with the eventual goal that no dealer will have to wait more than a year to procure any particular model for a customer. An enviable position to be in.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-17-2001, 09:09 AM   #32
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Unless I missed something glancing at the 10Q...

there was nothing "clearly" indicating there is a "real problem with unsold Buells." Indeed, the only Buell dealer I know was completely sold out of some 2001 models by June and would love to have more! And there's a reason he couldn't get them. There definitely *was* a problem with Buells (too many recalls and quality control problems) and the parent company forced them to slash production in an effort to improve that seems to have been very successful. THAT is the primary reason sales have dropped significantly. Though many consider them oddball novelties, Buells have a following almost as loyal as Harleys, just not in the huge numbers.
Old 08-17-2001, 09:10 AM   #33
banda
Founding Member

Default Slow Buell sales drive up inventory

Read the 10Q.

Shipments are up for the Harley Davidson branded motorcycles, and down for the Buell branded bikes. Since dealer orders are what drives shipments, and inventory of finished goods is largely dependent on the difference between projected sales volume and the number of actual orders, it seems clear that slow Buell sales are mostly responsible for HD's higher inventory.

Could it be that Buell hasn't introduced anything new (except the B'Last) for years, and they have overestimated the loyalty of performance enthusiasts?
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 09:20 AM   #34
cruiz-euro
Founding Member

Default LimeSqueezr: Did you not notice HD´s butt got waxed

>The VTX is one model, a muscle cruiser, which

>competes against only one Harley model

Yeah LimeSqueezr, but this HD´s "only one model" consists pretty much the entire H-D heavy lineup.

And as I mentioned, VTX does not beat the big HDs, but does that in an utterly devastating manner. Let me pull out my beloved dyno charts. Oh yes, here they are:

VTX has more torque *on the idle* than HD´s latest fuel injected 88 ci at any RPM. In fact VTX´s minimum point of torque curve surpasses handily the absolute maximum torque of the HD.

No flag waving, no moist eyed talk of heritage roots and grandpa´s ole sportster.

So the 100% fundamentalists will continue to buy the HD whatever the output is. But in the vast continuum of the pretty-much-HD-liking-people all the way to a-little-bit-HD-liking-people like myself this has been noted. If you want grunt its the VTX who dunnit. Totally devastating.

I think its about the time to check out if you could find some curve on the fender proving that VTX is a mere copy, LimeSqueezr.

cruiz-euro

cruiz-euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 09:53 AM   #35
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Re: LimeSqueezr: Did you not notice HD´s butt got waxed

JOOC do you *ride* your motorcycle (assuming you even have one) or do you just trailer it down to the nearest coin-op dyno and watch it spin the dials?
Old 08-17-2001, 10:23 AM   #36
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Neither, HDI made them cut production...

due to too many recalls/QC problems. 2001's are much better. Try to find a Buell dealer that has large numbers of them deeply discounted. You won't. Any *significant* increase in unsold inventory would have to involve Harley product, IAL Sportsters which have been produced night & day to ease supply disruption as the Kansas City plant shifts part of its resources over to the VRod. It would be doubtful if Buell could accomplish that all by themselves even if they did experience a slowdown in sales.
Old 08-17-2001, 10:38 AM   #37
cruiz-euro
Founding Member

Default do all the engines sound the same

lemon, I hope this will not become a habit but I have to contradict you here too.

Valk does not sound like Subaru. You may not have noticed it but the sound of the four and six cylinder engines is entirely different (difference seems not to be large enough for all, obviously)

cruiz-euro
cruiz-euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 10:44 AM   #38
hdpetey
Founding Member

Dus are great bikes, but they probably deserve the same criticism Harley gets from some people of being over-priced. But if it's too expensive you're too poor!

MN huh? Twin Cities HD (South) has to be the worst dealerships in the HD chain. My brother, foolishly, did not listen to me and bought a Fat Boy from those clowns. He had to repair their poor work after every scheduled service so eventutally he just started doing all the scheduled maintenance himself. I almost crapped my pants one year listening to one of their salesclowns spew a bunch of crap to a newbie. They could have sold this guy a Big Twin for over $40k by the time they got done with him.
hdpetey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 10:45 AM   #39
tbuse
Founding Member

This isn't my area of expertise, but did anyone check to see if that "excess inventory" was the 2002 models and the V-Rod, both of which won't ship until Sept. and 4th qtr respectively?
tbuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 10:49 AM   #40
JC4SOHC4
Founding Member

Default Re: Is Harley/ Potato!!!

I just RODE back from Sturgis. Man, you have never seen so many RUBS and trailer queens in your life! 5 Harley guys/gals held up several hundred bikes because of a rain shower. Slowed to 20 MPH! Harley knows they have the name & marketing. Fortunately for them there are thousands of posers out there lookin to have a 20K doodad. They don't care that my 26 year old CB 750K6 will tromp them in a 1/4 mile. Good lookin bikes but let's face it: Harleys are the Mr. Potato Heads of bikes. Take your TC 88 and stick on whatever forks, tires, frame etc. I might buy an Electraglide standard at MSRP cause it's about the closest Harley to being worth what you pay. But I'll test the VTX before and that'll spoil my HD dream. You wanna pose or ride! Fortunately I do know and ride with a number of motorcycle enthusiasts who do ride Hogs but see a bike as a personal choice not as a mandatory brand/fashion statement.

Joliet Jess
JC4SOHC4 is offline   Reply With Quote