Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 07-13-2001, 07:42 AM   #71
Haga
Founding Member

Default Re: Yahoo

How about a story on this new Buell? I must admit they've found some interesting ways to design some things. Equal weight with an R1, but a 75mm shorter wheel base. Also, a 21 degree steering head angle... sounds more than a little bit dangerous in the hands of Buell riders I've met. They're also going to have the frame act as a fuel tank of sorts(I thought frames on lightly faired bikes always got hot and spark when sliding down the road?) and have the oil stored in the swingarm. Supposed to center the weight to offset the wheelbase/steering head angle no doubt. It sure would be interesting to see some photos or a 3 page story on it like at some other websites.

BTW... put the new Vrod on a dyno and see if it peaks at 142 ft./lbs. of torque like a VTX... cruiser guys are more into torque than ponies I'm told...
Haga is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-13-2001, 09:00 AM   #72
john
Founding Member

Default Re: Aren

True enough Rod, i apologize for misquoting you. Also, i didn't mean to imply that harleys have nothing to offer besides a large price tag. I realize i wasn't very clear, but i meant that people 15 and 20 years younger than the average harley buyer; people closer to my age, are blind to anything but the numbers. I believe that the current sportbike trend of a bike being best because it is .234 lbs lighter and has .004 more hp is going to carry over to the cruiser arena. A big part of this is because the japanese have started throwing big dollars at being number one in the "power cruiser" segment, with which this harley competes. And indeed, Harley will be number one quite handily, i believe.

As far as parts availablity goes......i know the honda and yamaha shops by me never have a single thing in stock, while the harley dealership has had everything we have needed, when we needed it. A BIG observation i have made is that stock harleys dont break. However, when owners start modifying them, they reach the outer limits quite quickly sometimes. Things like chrome pulleys not providing grip for the lug bolts holding it to the rear wheel (i know, i was riding it at the time). You would think reputable shops would know what metals are ok to use together under load (i wont mention the shop that didn't check).

I ride a 01 bandit 1200s, and it does everything i need it to, whether it is 800 mile days or hauling balls through the twisties. My dad has a 98 super glide that is modded to hell, almost nothing stock, and a 00 road king, also quite modded. We really cant do too much serious riding together, he just doesn't get the ground clearance i do, but he sure can hustle the road king around. Since he refuses to buy anything other than harley, maybe i can persuade him to trade over to the v-rod, for something a bit more sporting, without losing what appeals to him about harleys. Maybe this is a trade in many other harley and non-harley owners will be thinking about, as well.
Old 07-13-2001, 01:56 PM   #73
BlainetheMono
Founding Member

Default Break down Faster???

More Reliable?? I'll remember to tell that to the Harley rider I helped out 2 weeks ago. With just over 100 miles on his brand new Harley, he pulled over to take a piss. When he went to restart it, the red oil light came on. The key on the oil shaft sheared off and he was left stranded. As a NICE motorcycle rider I help all bikers in trouble. He didnt even pitch me about my 18 year old, 50,000 mile, "ricer", Honda 900F either....Imagine that???

Reliable INDEED!!!!!
BlainetheMono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 11:11 AM   #74
tbuse
Founding Member

Default Re: Yahoo

From your discription of your "friend's" problems with his Harley, it appears that your "friend" did little or no maintenance. Letting a bike run so lean for so long it melted something? Or did you work on it?
tbuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 11:16 AM   #75
tbuse
Founding Member

Default Re: Break down Faster???

One bike broke down & all Harley's are thus unreliable? I guess because I stopped on my Shovel to help a guy broke down on a Japanese bike, I should conclude that all Japanese bikes are unreliable? There are some bikes, of all makes, that just break. My experience from a heck of a lot of riding is that the owner's maintenance habits have a lot to do with reliability.
Old 07-17-2001, 11:45 AM   #76
tbuse
Founding Member

Default Re: Give

Whoa, bitter aren't we? I currently ride a Triumph, but have owned a number of Harleys. I got more garbage from riders of Japanese bikes than I ever heard Harley riders give out. You want to get respect, you have to give it.