Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 07-12-2001, 03:41 PM   #51
minime
Founding Member

Default Re: All the details..........

Then again, if there's a new Harley or Buell sportbike coming down the pipeline, you can bet that the Euro press will be begging for that one and that H-D will think twice before sending out the invites to those people...
minime is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2001, 03:42 PM   #52
minime
Founding Member

Default Re: Loose cats

But if you were not allowed access to the goods without first signing...

Double-edged sword I guess.
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2001, 04:43 PM   #53
Gabe
Registered Member

Default OH MAN!!!!

America is back on top, baby!

I think Erik Buell is a friggin' genius, and he should get a friggin' Pulitzer prize for this! That bike is drop-dead gorgeous, innovative, everything.

I think it is the little brother of a crazy-ass, 150 HP, limited production, fully-faired, $20k WSB homologation model! Mark my words.

I also predict a "SuperBlast" with 55 HP, 350 pounds wet, and top-spec suspension, maybe a super-motard bike.

Amrica is back, and will soon be thought of as the mecca of the world motorcycle industry.

You heard it from me first!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2001, 04:51 PM   #54
john
Founding Member

Default Re: Aren

Rod, do you know why "thugs" and "gangbangers" buy harleys? because they can be status icons for them, as well. And when they are pulling in over a thousand dollars a day selling freebase or whatever, they hardly count in the value dollar shopper demographic i think you were trying to put them in.

Like i have said before, i think this bike is being made to usher in a new era for harley. Average Harley owner age = 45. Will even 90% of them be riding in 20 years? probably not. Average standard/sportbike buyer? probably around 25-30. I think that younger riders couldn't give a rats ass about the freedom bullschit that harley spews out every chance it gets. So then, what does harley have to offer besides a 15-25K price tag on its big bikes? not a whole lot. what does the typical standard or sportbike have to offer for 5-10K ? Twice the power, wonderful breaks, wonderful handling, and something that doesn't weigh as much as king kong taking a field trip to mcdonald's.

So, surprise, surprise, surprise. Harley has decided to not only make a bike, but start a whole new line of bikes to start thinking about their future. Because they know that they happened to be at the right place at the right time, and in a few years they will be making 300,000 bikes a year, with buyers for maybe 150,000 if they dont come out with new products that give riders what they want.

You said yourself that harley has been successful because they have a knack for giving customers what they want, and i think you are right. I also think that what the customers want is going to be drastically different in as soon as 5-10 years. So kudos to harley for realizing this, unfortunately the harley nazis are going to say that their company sold out on them.

Also interestingly enough, on the harley forums i go on, it is not the "been riding harleys since 1962" people that are disliking this bike. It seems to me that it is the people who have recently bought into the "harley experience" in order to further what they believe is their elitist position in society. That, too me, is laughable.
Old 07-12-2001, 04:58 PM   #55
Gabe
Registered Member

Default I don't think so...

With a truly innovative, technically advanced H-D, there will be a new audience and a new culture created. Go check out some of the buell sites and you'll see what I'm talking about.

This is gonna be a good thing. They will capture new markets and improve their image. I will be proud to own a Buell or Harley someday, maybe just not right now...

Did you see the new Buell? Check it out at http://www.sporttwin.com/02buells/2002buells.htm

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2001, 05:31 PM   #56
kwh
Founding Member

Default Re: All the details..........

Actually, while more newsworthy than the HD stuff, Buell's pretty far out there in terms of 'do we care' as well. If Honda launches a GSXR1000-beater then everybody in the UK wants to know all about it ten times over. If Buell launch a new tractor-engined sports bike they get a mention on the odd news page cribbed from the press release.

Of course Harley Davidson could launch a brand new GSXR1000-beater (excuse me while I catch all these monkeys that appear to have flown right out of my @rse), but then given the perceptual mountain that HD would need to shift before anybody would even take the idea seriously, HD would need the European press more than the European press would need HD.
Old 07-12-2001, 05:35 PM   #57
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Pfah

It's a neet looking design, impressively light, probably wonderful handling. But it's still the same yawner Sportster engine, or more the scaled down one from the Blast in a V-twin version.

So you still have the single pin, uncounterbalanced "Wants to shake itself apart at idle" problem. The "Everything should be safety-wired down, and use only LEDs for lamps" issue. The "Can't spin past 7.5k rpm" limitation. And the "Air cooled, have a nice day" result.

Now if it had a nice, new, 4 valve liquid cooled engine, the thing would rock. Will Harley Davidson ever give a buell an engine capable of matching the chassis engineering?

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2001, 05:44 PM   #58
kwh
Founding Member

Default I can write the copy for Hondas next advert right now...

"They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and we at American Honda are deeply flattered by the way that a certain... other... motorcycle manufacturer has tried to copy the lead we set them with our ground-breaking VTX1800 power cruiser. But just one thing... we always thought inferior copies should be cheaper than the original?"

By the way, if Honda use that, I want a crate of beer from them .

Old 07-12-2001, 06:30 PM   #59
Haga
Founding Member

Default Re: Yahoo

Is this for real? First of all, Harley is not going to build a bike that threatens ANY Japanese "crotch rocket" in its first year or even the first 5 years of its existence(just ask Triumph). As for Yahoo's "article"... it looks like it was edited with crayon after someone's kid finished writing it. "Porscha" instead of Porsche? How about capitalizing specific nouns like "Harley" and the names of people and places(towns, states). The search engine might be popular, but this "news service" has a long way to go.
Haga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2001, 06:40 PM   #60
EnZed
Founding Member

Default Re: Yahoo

Well, all I can say is that at last HD will have a bike to sell that remotely approaches 21st Century technology, instead of a warmed-over 1950's design. Weird that they had to engage otside expertise to produce it...
EnZed is offline   Reply With Quote