Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 07-12-2001, 01:25 PM   #41
ChrisWvfr
Founding Member

Default Give 'em what they want

Nice bike, this new Harley. Looks like they got the style right, strong motor, and performance should be up there with other cruisers from across the Pacific. Only problem is that this bike is a Harley Davidson and along with being a HD, this bike will bring with it renewed arguments from the Harley riding community. Magazine and Internet publications will be flooded with anti-Japanese sentiment. Aging Baby-Boomers with a fetish for leather and expensive motorcycles will take to the streets with renewed vigor and refuse to wave to the rest of us as we pass by on our inferior machines. The sick sense of HD pride will seep through the communities of suburban America as citizens flock to dealerships and throw down insane coin to show their neighbors what it means to have "American Pride". Their motorcycles will continue to belch out "potato, potato" as they ride through town revealing the heart of the movement; motorcycle exclusionism.

ChrisWvfr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2001, 01:43 PM   #42
ArtOfTheMotorcycle
Founding Member

Default MCN Busted Embargo

MCN was at the intro & ride last month along with the rest of us journos and signed the same agreement promising not publish or post anything until July 13.

H-D is reportedly very upset. They want to be the ones to show their dealers something this important first and put their own spin on it. I don't expect any MCN types to be invited to future H-D intros. Or maybe H-D will make us post a bond as others have done in the past.

Art Friedman
ArtOfTheMotorcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2001, 01:49 PM   #43
dwindhorst
Founding Member

Default Re: New 2002 Buell Firebolt XB9R

Uh -- wow. Where's the line start?
dwindhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2001, 02:10 PM   #44
minime
Founding Member

Default Re: Trying may be the operative word

Grrrrr...
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2001, 02:18 PM   #45
dwindhorst
Founding Member

Default Re: sneaky Limey bastards...

So, obviously the MCN crew will be happy as a bulldog in kidney pie

that they forced the issue and made MO look bad for being ethical.

They're just pissed that their champion biker bodgers lost out to some Iowa

farmboys on "Junkyard Wars."
dwindhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2001, 02:54 PM   #46
fr21555
Founding Member

Default Re: Yahoo

It's just more cannon fodder for the Ninja-humping, flip-flop wearing Buzz-boys to deride H-D one more time. I agree with some here about their assertions that H-D is ripping the Big Four. This time, I think they're right;Yamaha/Kawasaki/Suzuki/Honda have been building "metric cruisers" for years, with increasing amounts of cosmetic design cues taken from Harley-Davidson. At least now the speculation as to when H-D was going to bend to the EPA's and the EU's cries for a "quieter" motor can end. Now, every American can truly spend too much money; on a $20,000 version of an $8000 Jap bike with looks to match. Pass the pot-metal, boys, get out your 10mm socket wrenches, we're going to the garage!
fr21555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2001, 03:00 PM   #47
desertbilly
Founding Member

Default Loose cats

Maybe they concluded they might as well release the web pages and go public now that the cat was out of the bag. I doubt they're happy about the situation if they were planning on releasing at an upcoming dealer meeting.

The Internet sure makes journalism a lot more interesting.
desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2001, 03:11 PM   #48
minime
Founding Member

Default Re: Loose cats

All I'll say is that when everybody from The Motor Company gets back to Milwaukee, there are going to be some things discussed. One of the head H-D people didn't even know that their stuff went live on the web as it's still before the embargo!

And as for MCN forcing the issue, they did not, actually. there were two mainstream German magazines that released the story before MCN and MCN's posting was in response to that.

They still weren't first, they won't be the last, and they irepairably pissed of a lot of people (not just H-D) in the process.

I stand by our decision to wait until the embargo is lifted. While some readers may jump on us for being "slow" or "too nice," doing so ensures that we get what we want in the future, and that's more than those other sites can say. And don't for a second think that other manufacturers (and magazines) aren't watching to see what MO does.

Personal aside: It's no fun being the _good_ guy!
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2001, 03:16 PM   #49
kwh
Founding Member

Default Re: All the details..........

I'll go for it being a screw-up rather than a deliberate busting of an embargo. Harleys just aren't newsworthy in the UK, so busting an embargo to mention a new one just isn't worth the effort. Plus the website hardly ever publishes something like that in full before it has appeared in the weekly newspaper 'MCN' that it shares much of its editorial with. Most likely if it had been deliberate it would have been posted as a teaser to the next issue of MCN. I'm just guessing that the story was written, not published in Wednesday's MCN because of the embargo (and it wasn't) but that the webmaster assumed it /had/ been published and being unaware of the embargo, bunged it up online erroneously.

On a related point, HD may be furious with EMAP/MCN but if the entire British motorcycle press (excluding one custom mag I can think of) never got to go to another Harley Davidson model launch ever again, and HDMC pulled all their meagre advertising in the UK as well, I doubt the publishers or the journos would cry much about it. Nobody much gives a sh1t about HD or their product in this country. Now if they rubbed Honda up the wrong way and didn't get an invite to the launch of the new Fireblade, that they would care about deeply...
Old 07-12-2001, 03:24 PM   #50
kwh
Founding Member

Default Re: Loose cats

As a sometime freelance computer journo, I've always understood that an embargo can and should only hold unless and until the same information comes into the public domain by other means. I'd never agree to an embargo or sign an NDA that prevented me from writing about stuff that the world and his wife already knew about.