Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 07-04-2001, 08:03 AM   #71
Not_Anonymous_Squid
Founding Member

Default Re: motorcycle accidents are rocketing ?

Are they? I must agree that it seems like that but do the actual statistics match up?

My main point was the different causes of accidents in the UK v US.
Not_Anonymous_Squid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2001, 08:24 AM   #72
Capt_Kawi
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Related Deaths Rise Again

In my province, the government has introduced a "graduated" system of sorts. If you do your riding test on anything less than 550cc, you must retest at a later date for anything greater than 550cc.

What has happened is people have been buying bikes larger than they may have otherwise so they don't have to retest. I know of a couple that initially would have purchased an EX500 or a GS500 but didn't want to retest and so they bought an F4 and R6 respectively. Not really beginner bikes!

(Kawi's long gone)
Capt_Kawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2001, 08:34 AM   #73
VFRDude
Founding Member

Wow, what a great conversation thread. I've read all the comments posted so far and find there is a bit a truth in almost every one of them -- pull them all together and what do we get?

* Irresponsible young squids on sportbikes without adequate training or skills but with the right amount of testosterone to try/do just about anything.

* Rich urban bikers either new or returning to the sport without adequate training or skills.

* Cruiser crowd convinced that alcohol and two wheels are a good mix -- and there's a lot of other bikers with a similar mentality.

* MSF training is inadequate. For example, my wife took the course and passed, but I won't let her ride on the street; fortunately she realizes she isn't skilled enough yet. I recently bought an old XR80 for her to practice riding on the dirt before we attempt to get her riding on the street.

* Little or no requirements for training to get a license, no requirements to have a license to register a motorcycle... makes you wonder. The idea of greater incentives from our insurance companies for training seems an excellent idea -- I wonder why they haven't embraced that idea themselves.

* Safety gear lessens the risk of serious injury in an accident. How hard is that to figure out?

* Lost in all this is the stupidity of the average car driver; the press release as posted here makes no mention of the number of accidents and fatalities caused by cars. (see the Hurt Report) I say this with an incident fresh on my mind from last night, as a moron in his new BMW pulled out in front of me despite looking right at me when he did so.

* How hard is it to get your driver's license renewed? With no recurrent testing of driver knowledge of traffic laws or their ability to function behind the wheel, we get significant breakdown that impacts other cars as well as motorcycles.

Kudos to the people participating in the discussion -- you're the type of riders we need more of, as you are interested and concerned about our sport and want to know more than just the latest horsepower figures...
VFRDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2001, 08:38 AM   #74
Not_Anonymous_Squid
Founding Member

Default Re: Insurance

What better way to regulate bike safety than Insurance ? Uk insurance companies ask details about everything about you and give a precise quote based on the calculated risk. Age, experience, sex, marital status, profession, annual milleage, previous 5 years claims history, motoring convictions, security devices, advanced training courses, secure parking, No Claims Discount (up to 50%) are all taken into account as well as precise details about the bike.

So the same bike may get a quote from 400 - 4000 pounds. So you won't see many people under 30 riding GSXR1000 or R1's.

Harsh, maybe, but very fair. Why should I pay extra premiums to cover the behaviour of idiots?
Old 07-04-2001, 08:40 AM   #75
Not_Anonymous_Squid
Founding Member

Default Re: Tough luck, he should of wore a helmet and leathers.

No helmet =Suicide.
Old 07-04-2001, 10:14 AM   #76
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

Here's a thought for all of us to consider - particularly when we think we're pretty good riders.

A zillion years ago when I got my cager license, I passed it with about 99% for what it's worth.

About 10 years later when I got my mc license I had to do another road test along with the 'skills test'. (As an aside, not everyone has to do the road test to get their bike license due to inconsistencies in the privatized testing programme... another problem to talk about on another day.)

Anyways, when I took my road test on a bike, I FAILED it!!! I couldn't believe it - me, an 'awesome' driver and it was due to violating the rules of the road (somewhat obscure rules but that's not the point here) NOT because I couldn't handle the bike.

Now maybe I'm just thick but every once in a while when I'm riding, I test myself... what do you do in uncontrolled intersections etc, etc.

Just a thought.
Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2001, 01:39 PM   #77
x86kila
Founding Member

First of all according to the article,

"Twenty-five percent of all fatally injured motorcycle drivers in 1999 didn't have valid licenses to operate their motorcycles."

"Forty-two percent of deaths in single-vehicle motorcycle crashes in 1999 involved drivers with blood alcohol concentrations at or above 0.10 percent."

These are the 2 primary reasons why there were 57 deaths per 100,000 in comparish 17 in 100,000 in cars.

If people weren't driving drunk there would be 23 less people! That brings it down 34 people, and if people had license that would that down to 26.

I also feel this number can be reduced too, since certain states don't make it madatory to wear helmets (Texas Being One Them) and I would speculate many have not taken any safety course. (They should have included this in the statistics).

Take all this into consideration not to mention the rise of motorcycle sales have increased, I don't think the numbers are bad, this is honestly Operator Mistakes. The numbers would look great if people did the following things: Don't drink and drive, wear helmets, take a safety course, and for the 25% percent of you, get a damn license for the love of God. Geez.

-Jaffer
x86kila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 03:51 AM   #78
cajunbandito
Founding Member

Here are my observations:

Statistics can be very deceiving. Someone has already said: there are more motorcycles so there are more motorcycle accidents. Also, I didn't really notice anything in the data which specifically said that more motorcyclists are at fault.

It will not do any good to increase licensing requirements if people can get on a bike without a license so easily.

I don't think horse power has much to do with it. If you get hit by a cage, it won't really matter what you are sitting on.

If you are drunk: experience, training, bike capability are all pretty irrelevant.

I think that we all know what really makes riding a motorcycle dangerous: CAGES!! A friend of mine once told me, everyone should have to ride a motorcycle for a couple of months before they are allowed to drive a car. I guess that is kind of extreme.....but wouldn't it be cool? This guy went on to say that if nothing else, darwinism would take effect and we would get rid of a bunch of stupid people. I suppose that's too harsh.

ps. why does this damn thing say Anonymous Squid? I'm registered!!

cajunbandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2001, 05:30 AM   #79
glf5810
Founding Member

I also think with the increasing number of SUVs out on the road, more bikers are not being seen and hence could be part of the reason for the rising death rate.
glf5810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2001, 12:33 PM   #80
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default I'll tell you what you get----

An increased chance of dying. Motorcycling will never be safe. Cars are inherently safer than riding a motorcycle. Once again, it seems that there is an element in the motorcycling community that seems to think that because we assume more risk by riding, the rest of the world should me made to cater to our (apparently not-too-well thought out) decision. If you want to be safe on the road, BUY A CAR. 95% of motorcycles in the United States are pleasure vehicles. You didn't need to buy it. STOP COMPLAINING.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote