Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 05-31-2001, 03:04 AM   #31
huskerdu
Founding Member

Default Re: Combination of Motorcyclist and CycleWorld?

you're supposed to read it, not eat it.
huskerdu is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-31-2001, 04:39 AM   #32
Mnick
Founding Member

Default Re: Cycle World and Motorcyclist to Merge?

At the present I have subscriptions to

Motorcyclist

Cycle World

Rider

Road Racing World

SportBike

Fuell

Weather Report

and Motorcycle Consumer News

In the past I have also received Classic Bike,Bike,Battle 2Win,Thunder Press and Performance Bike along with the old Cycle and Cycle Guide. I must say that of all these I find Performance Bike the most entertaining but it is Motorcycle Consumer News that I keep and read over and over again. They give me good useful information about how the bike performs on the street in day to day riding. The good and the bad.
Old 05-31-2001, 05:18 AM   #33
banda
Founding Member

Default Freedom of speech offensive language

So if I have freedom of speech, I can express ideas as long as they aren't offensive?

Frankly, your underestimation of the worth of free speech is offensive to me. Under your own definition, you must not express those ideas any more.

A big thank you in advance for censoring yourself.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 05:35 AM   #34
GSparky
Founding Member

Who cares. I don't subscribe; only read them when drinking coffee at the bookstore. Most of them don't print very useful articles any more such as how to's on maintenance, improve riding skills, product reviews. They are mostly about new bikes which is interesting, but that's about as far as it goes. The only one I have kept lately was printed a year ago on suspension setup.

Cheers
GSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 06:32 AM   #35
sahara
Founding Member

I would not be surprised to hear a merger. After all, pick up one mag and the other pretty much has the same stuff. And Sport Rider... always a month behind cannot beleive they would have on the front page a comparo of 600;s or 1000's which is rehash from Motorcyclist from the prior month. I would like to see more reader specials or special project bikes the mags build in addition to normal release and comparison of new models. Or those vendors should showcase their products in a real motorcycle and let the viewers and staff rate them and than they will sell some product. I miss Cycle Guide!
sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 08:00 AM   #36
tbuse
Founding Member

They weren't talking about "Road Racing World". And I do investigate bikes I'm interested in. Unfortunately, Cycle World and Motorcyclist frequently do a less than stellar jo. Perhaps next time you will read for content before you respond.
tbuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 08:01 AM   #37
tbuse
Founding Member

"jo" should be "job". One of these days I'm going to have to learn to type with more than two fingers.
tbuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 10:25 AM   #38
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default You're right on one thing...

The brit mag guys don't do miles, and it's obvious. But they are more entertaining and I think their testing is as good as the American mags' for all practical purposes. Either way, I will rely on my own tests to make any real decision, and what I really want to know from "experts" is how durable these motorcycles really are. How long will they last? If I cough up for a new bike it better last forever. Aside from the fact that long term durability is a hard thing to test, none of the testers give this any consideration whatsoever, so I'm left to speculate about it on my own. Not everyone at the American mags do real miles either. Some of them do, (and I'm also very thankful for Kevin Cameron, btw--his column is great), but there are lots of sunday canyon riders that have nothing to do with what I do at all, and they're not even entertaining like the brits. I do more miles in a year than I find on lots of 10-20 year old used bikes I look at, and I'm hard on them. I want to know how long a sport bike will last. Why shouldn't I want the best chassis and handling I can get, with a great motor, and expect it to be a useable vehicle in the long term that will be reliable and last? Other peoples' standards for durability seem to be useless to me.

So anyway, if I'm left to reading mags for entertainment value, the brit mags are more entertaining. I still read the American mags, even more than the brit mags because it's so cheap to subscribe and I do like some aspects of them, but the humorless self-aggrandizing can wear thin quicker than the ripping-on-everything-including-me .
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 10:29 AM   #39
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Ultimately, performance bike and superbike

are just limp substitutes for Streetfighters, when I can't find it. Too bad hardly anyone sends bikes to Streetfighters to test.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 03:20 PM   #40
motorpsyche
Founding Member

Default Motorcycle Consumer News puts

Motorcycle Consumer News has set the bar for motorcycle jouralism as far as I'm concerned. The bike and product tests in that magazine are very objective and well written. Even though I'm paying more for it and it only comes in black and white, I feel it is a bargain because I can find the best information about a bike or product without being hit by an advertisement before, during, and after I read an article. Motorcyclist and Cycle World are more like catalogs than anything. I wish Motorcyle Consumer News had a full text online version (not just a partial version like they do now). I would definitely "donate" to that.
motorpsyche is offline   Reply With Quote