Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 05-30-2001, 01:52 PM   #21
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Cycle World Motorcyclist Sport Rider

The one print mag I've found that doesn't excessively cater to advertisers is _Rider_. Their July issue is full of BMW ads, but still harshly criticizes the new EVO brake system and other Beemer ideosyncracies in their review of the R1150R. It makes me much more inclined to believe them when they praise a bike, because they don't do it to every bike ever made.

SS
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-30-2001, 02:22 PM   #22
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Rider is cool.

They're a bit thin on content, but they're cool enough to put a guy crossing the desert on a CX500 with a milk crate on the back on the cover of the magazine.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 03:32 PM   #23
sqidbait
Founding Member

Default Re: Cycle World and Motorcyclist to Merge?

Except for Peter Egan and Kevin Cameron. They're the only reason I subscribe.

-- Michael
sqidbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 05:51 PM   #24
sculptor666
Founding Member

all motorcycle magazines should be under one roof and have the title Wheelie Magazine... except for Rider. Get over the squid stuff, i'm tired of reading how great every bike in the world wheelies. do i have a point? Rider is the saving grace of motorcycle publications... but i subscribe to cycle world, motorcyclist and rider. c'mon... $12/2years.. who could say no?
sculptor666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 07:59 PM   #25
bmaxw
Founding Member

EMAP could ask for donations, but that old line "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me" would come into play!
bmaxw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 08:33 PM   #26
superbikefan
Founding Member

I agree to a point.. those two writers, while they are the only worthwhile feature of Cycle World, have their off months too. Egan tends to get into the "golly, no one needs to do this, but here I go again restoring an old Triumph again" mode, and at times Cameron's technical topics get so obscure and obtuse they're pointless and hard to finish. As a 30 years of experience motorcycle magazine junkie, I agree both U.S. mags are almost worthless buyer's guides at best at this point. I remember when U.S. bike mags were so good they were worth keeping and returning to as a reference- specifically Cycle under Cook Nielsen of course, and Motorcyclist/Sport Rider during the Nick Ienatsch/Lance Holst years. Check out some of these if you come across them at swap meets today and you'll realize how far the current ones have gone to selling out completely. I love all the British mags and read them at Barnes and Noble/Borders, but they only amuse temporarily and never seem to have enough useful or meaningful content to buy or keep for future reading.
superbikefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 09:37 PM   #27
kenugly
Founding Member

Dumbed down!!!! Christ the pommy mags are absolute crap. They test them by riding around big roundabouts and scrapping their elbows to get those good cover shots. They sell videos with their magazines and on them all they show is the testers cleaning the bikes fer christ sake. I have seen the guys from performance bikes testing their bikes and the way they do it does not give the reader (ie you) a really good indication of what the bikes are all about. I think they should all be exposed for the crap they are and for the false influence they have on the market. From my perspective (down here in NZ) it seems to me that the american mags are great, the Aussie mag Motorcycle news is good and the only thing decent to come out of england are the classic magazines. By the way I have over (at last count) 1500 magazines sitting in my shelves. The best one is Cycle World, purely for the fact that the guys riding the bikes actually do miles!!!. And the other really good thing about the mags from the states is that you guys all have a preoccupation with horsepower!!!. (this is good) Although I am not to sure on the importance placed on this lights to lights dragging thing, and 1/4 mile times (as its not really relevant to day to day riding) that magazines from USA keep mentioning. I guess it must be a local custom thing. Try the Aussie mag motorcycle news..it good honest down to earth bike journalism. I also guess that the www has had a huge impact on the magazine. One problem here you can't take your PC to the toilet for a quiet read, so on that count magazines will always win.
kenugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 12:21 AM   #28
RGV500
Founding Member

I agree that Road Racingworld sets the benchmark but they are heavily focused on racing (which is good) which means that road oriented info is a bit thin.
RGV500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 02:01 AM   #29
hutch
Founding Member

yeah
hutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 03:03 AM   #30
huskerdu
Founding Member

Agreed. Most of these mags spend 80% of their time going on about what great hooligans their staff are and don't really tell you about the true performance of the bikes. I don't need to see ugly guys dressed in drag and photos of their wife's tits.

BIKE magazine is the only non-US mag that I find useful and that's not to say that the US mags are all that great. Most of them are starting to suck too.
huskerdu is offline   Reply With Quote