Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 05-30-2001, 09:25 AM   #11
sqidbait
Founding Member

Default Re: I like Motorcyclist

Some Brit mags are immature, but

Bike and Ride are both pretty good.

Ride is in my top 3 favorite mags ( with the

others being MCN and Rider ).

-- Michael

sqidbait is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-30-2001, 09:41 AM   #12
ArtOfTheMotorcycle
Founding Member

Default Hate to spoil the fun with facts, but...

Both sides have denied that there is any plan for a merger or buyout, as you could have learned by doing a bit more research. The Emap USA (Motorcyclist, Dirt Rider, Sport Rider,Motorcycle Cruiser, and a lot more titles) operation still may be sold (lowly editors aren't made privy to corporate plans, but I read the biz press too), but not to the French company that owns Hachette (Cycle World, etc.).

And, the Emap USA (formerly Petersen) Motorcycle Group is more profitable than ever. Although some other titles in other areas apparently are having troubles with revenue, the sale seems to have more to do with the debt Emap acquired when it overpaid for the company a couple of years ago than with the US group's actual performance.

Art Friedman

(commenting privately and not as a company representative)
ArtOfTheMotorcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 10:03 AM   #13
Shaft
Founding Member

Default Re: Cycle World and Motorcyclist to Merge?

I hope not... Cycle World SUCKS!
Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 10:25 AM   #14
Turn8
Founding Member

Default Re: I like Motorcyclist

Superbike, FastBikes, Performance Bikes, Ride, Bike
Turn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 10:30 AM   #15
zamboni
Founding Member

Default Re: Hate to spoil the fun with facts, but...

Wow, a celebrity in our midst...

Glad to see that some respectable people hang out here.
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 11:20 AM   #16
gappy
Founding Member

Motorcylist and Cycle World are not that different from each other. They read too much as corporate brochures. Few articles on maintenance and sport-touring (kudos to Motorcyclist fore recent improvements in this area), and extremely superficial motorcycle tests. I wouldn't see it as a major loss if one of them closed doors of if they merged. Except for MCN, one of the finest motorcycle magazines on the planet, american magazines are forgettable. To add scorn to insult, english magazines seem to cater to immature teen-agers who don't see naked women but on magazines. When I compare this to italian mags like "Motociclismo" and "In Moto" I want to cry...

gappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 12:14 PM   #17
metal
Founding Member

First of all, it's grammar, not grammer. Secondly, perhaps you can get off your ass and go look at the bike in question to see both sides. Thirdly, all of you here complaining about American mags, yeah, if you opt for mainstream crap, then they suck, but if I can trouble you once more to abandon the couch and get a copy of Roadracing World, you might have something better to "entertain" you. Incidentally, they have the most incredible technical articles I've ever come across in any sort of hobby-related publication.
metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 12:14 PM   #18
BammBamm
Founding Member

Both Cycle World, and Motorcyclist suck. Like eating oatmeal without milk and sugar. A merger will create a swill of feces. These are politically correct magazines seemingly for old geezers that ride Enfields, and still claim that BSA's, old Triumphs, and sidevalve Harley's are the way to go.

There is nothing wrong with a sense of humor, or hooliganism as displayed regularly in Superbike, Performance Bikes, and other interesting magazines that don't cater to the lawyers(no stunts or race shots), or manufacturers(all the bikes are great). The only good thing about American mags is the price, which reflects who is really paying the bills... the advertisers.

I'm getting old, but still enjoy the sense of humor and outrageousness in the British mags, almost all EMAP mags by the way, as it lets me laugh without having to be a prat myself.

The best magazine I have read is Bike. Something for everyone.
BammBamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 12:48 PM   #19
minime
Founding Member

Default Re: Hate to spoil the fun with facts, but...

Yes, Mr. Friedman is a bit of a celebrity, one who has probably forgotten more about motorcycles than most of us will ever know. He's had the helm at Motorcyclist Magazine before current Editor, Mitch Boehm, and is now in The Man at Motorcycle Cruiser Magazine.

He is correct in that both sides continue to deny any sort of plan for merger or buyout (that's found in the news links, of course) but, that comes as no surprise as rumors about that sort of thing have to be kept quiet since shareholders are an easily-spooked bunch (among other reasons).
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 12:50 PM   #20
starvingstudent
Founding Member

That's nice. _Bike_ (for when I want to read amusing stuff by insane Britbikers) and _Rider_ (for when I want real-world evaluations of practical bikes and gear, and nice tour descriptions) are still far superior to any of the above.

SS
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote