Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 05-29-2001, 12:34 PM   #1
MC
Founding Member

Default ?

Neat? PR? release? guys?! No?, really?!

Sorry to be an ass, but it had to be said.

- MC
MC is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-29-2001, 07:23 PM   #2
thatguyjohn
Founding Member

Default Re: Metzeler Riders are Happy Riders

Do they run DOT tires in Pro Thunder???
thatguyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2001, 11:37 PM   #3
BammBamm
Founding Member

Default Re: ?

What had to be said?
BammBamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 04:18 AM   #4
GSXR104
Founding Member

The AMA Rule book says that Pro Thunder Machinery must meet the requirements in "equipment standards general- and equipment standards all road race motorcycles" In the above mentioned section, it says that tires with a minimum .060" tread depth at the center of the tire are required.

Strangely enough, this also applies to Superbike, and Formula Extreme, GP etc. The only class with its own seperate guideline where you must run "groove molded" and DOT stamped tires is supersport.

Since Slicks are the norm in dry conditions for Superbike etc. All I can assume is that .060" of rubber in the middle is technically acceptable.

One could run DOT's in Pro Thunder, and If you can win on them, even better. It also depends on the relationship with the sponsors. We pay for slicks, but we get our DOT's for free.
GSXR104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 07:56 AM   #5
TCAir
Founding Member

Metzeler's suck! Their standard street tire put on Katana's, SV's, and Triumph RS's are constantly getting complaints. The biggest one is heat up time. They have great life but you can't get the damn things warm enough to stick. At the shop I worked at we actually had one of the mechanics go down because of this. (No he wasn't showing off. He is not that type of rider. He owns a BMW R100RS with the entire hard luggage set all the time, if that tells you how conservative he is.) I have had rear sliding problems out of these tires and don't recommend them to anyone.
TCAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 08:04 AM   #6
Azrifel
Founding Member

I don't care how somebody else does on a track. I just hate the ME Z3 and the ME Z1 regular street tires. They enforce a line trough corners what I hate, front tires have too less grip, especially in cold conditions. They arent to well in the wet and absolutely sh i t (like very unstable) when you go over lines and stripes on the road. They wear too fast in the middle.

The only good thing is corner grip and spin up / drift predictability. Expensive.

Tire I like: D207 (but not grippy enough), but the rest is ok. Bike FZS600, sizes: 110/70 zr17 160/60zr17.
Azrifel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 08:48 AM   #7
f1johny
Founding Member

Well all I can say is check your air pressure on those Z3's if yours are not working, cuz they are doing super well on my 98 S3 Buell.

I spent a few years racing 600 Superbike, I live in Seatlle, ride year round, and these tires are very very good. Just came back from a 400 mile ride around the Olympic Peninsula and the whole time I was so Damn glad I had gotten rid of my Dunlops.

F1JOHNY

f1johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 10:42 AM   #8
Hamrhd
Founding Member

I used to race on Metzler ME1's and their slicks and they worked well, but has anyone tried the new Pirelli Super Corsa's ? They look extremely nice and it looks like they have a street compound also (according to catalog listings) they have hardly any sidewall treads which will be nice in terms of no tread squirm but won't fair well in standing water. The Bridgestones on my 1000 Gixer aren't bad but I liked the Pilots on my 929 better. Are the Metzlers offering the Rennesports in a street conmpound ? If not I 'm gonna try those Dragon Super Corsa's. And to anyone with a new 1000 Gixer, change your oil at 300 miles ! Mine was filthy ! Better safe than sorry.
Hamrhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 11:41 AM   #9
speedGSXR99
Founding Member

I'll disregard your lack of knowledge this time. no thanks necessary. The rennsports are probably the biggest advancement in race/street tires in a long while. Whereas the Michelin PILOTs take a lap to a lap and a half to heat up, the rennsports heat up within one to two corners. BTW, the PIRELLI super corsa's are the exact same carcass badged under the metzeler name. Pirelli Owns Metzeler. The difference is just in the tread design.

Also, The "slick" sidewall is superior to the dunlop 207/208's in that is resists cupping. Water dispersion is not an issue in my opinion. What street rider would be using that much lean angle anyway in the rain.

Another Thing about these as compared to the street tires. (i.e) BT 010, D207ZR, etc. They last much longer than race tires of recent past. These tires when cold rarely slide out on me (unless coerced). I've had tire spin in 3rd gear @ partial lean angle on my Bridgestone BT-56SS, but only once in 1st gear on my metzelers.

These tires rock and will be my choice for a long time.

Dave

99 GSXR 750
speedGSXR99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 12:19 PM   #10
BammBamm
Founding Member

ME Z1's transformed my CBR1000F. Sticky, stable, and long wearing (relatively speaking). I ride in the rain, and have no complaints.
BammBamm is offline   Reply With Quote