Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 05-30-2001, 06:58 PM   #11
Donster
Founding Member

Default Re: Metzeler Riders are Happy Riders

Metzeler's were just as bad as my 204's on my thunderace, it just kept sliding around. The 207s were better, but my pilot's have got to be the best one's yet. After 70,000kms in 3 years the metzeler wore out the fastest, i didn't even make through our short 6 month season (about 12000kms) all the other one's lasted about 16000kms...just my 3.3 cents (canadian, that should be about 2 cents US,)
Donster is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-30-2001, 08:39 PM   #12
GSXR104
Founding Member

Anyone know if the U.S. distributors are getting the New Michelin DOT's that they used in World Supersport last month?
GSXR104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 07:59 AM   #13
Poser
Founding Member

Everything is slippery on big paint stripes in the road, especially when wet. When the road is cold and wet, NOTHING warms up, so all tires stay cold. The Metzlers do slide around, but what doesn't? They are still completely predictable. You know where you are sliding to on Metzlers. That is the difference between having sphincter tightening fun and having a medical bill. I ride all winter in Seattle, so wet handling makes a big difference to me.

In traffic, the Metzlers are stable at all angles, so when some cager does something odd, you can react predictably. They make the bike handle "heavier" because you don't fall into a corner so much as more eliptical profile tires, but they are balanced at any point along the radius, making them managable and predictable in just about any situation.

That is my humble, less than completely squidly, daily riding opinion.
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 12:56 PM   #14
Azrifel
Founding Member

I know that every tire is slippery on the paint stripes and I can live with that, but the difference with the D207 is that on the ME's the bike gets very unstable because of the height difference*. It tends to get out of balance and wants to get into tankslapping.

* the stripes around here are a couple of mm high

Good point about the handling, that's exactly what I mean. I like to fall into a corner so that's why I don't like the ME's.

About the warm-up time and road temperature... I compared them in the same conditions. But I feel that the ME's just don't have as much grip as other tires when cold.

I am told that the BT-010 and Pilot Sport are very good in every aspect, so I'll try one of those in the future.

Azrifel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 12:58 PM   #15
Azrifel
Founding Member

Check it very day and adjust the pressure to the conditions.

Old 05-31-2001, 01:07 PM   #16
Azrifel
Founding Member

every day
Old 05-31-2001, 01:12 PM   #17
Azrifel
Founding Member

www.motorcyclenews.com will have a test with a great number of sport street tires soon. Its on UK roads, so maybe a good item for MO to test them in the US too?

I quote:

"There are 35 sets of tyres involved and they will be run on six very different bikes to give a great range of feedback: Honda CBR600 Sport, Yamaha Fazer 1000, Suzuki GSX-R1000, Ducati 996, Yamaha FJR1300 and Buell X1 Lightning"

Don't know when its available, but they are testing now.
Old 06-14-2001, 08:02 PM   #18
Knightrider
Founding Member

Thats great since I am looking for new tyres. Hope you get a chance to check them out in the wet, I would be real interested in those results.
Knightrider is offline   Reply With Quote