Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Paranoid News Clips (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/paranoid-news-clips/)
-   -   Overzealous D.C. Police (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/paranoid-news-clips/4536-overzealous-d-c-police.html)

greencm 05-31-2007 08:56 AM

Re: Overzealous D.C. Police

"If the motorcyclist is ever identified, however, he / she will LIKELY face several charges of either vehicular manslaughter or higher. Prison is MOST likely."

This shouldn't be the outcome... The guy riding the motorcycle is only guilty of speeding, reckless driving (possibly), and resisting arrest/fleeing a police vehicle. He should not be responsible for the officer's actions - only his own actions - and the officer should be held accountable for his actions.

SRMark 05-31-2007 09:12 AM

I watched several newscasts of this last night. What a horrible pile of carnage for what amounts to one speeding ticket. Wave the red cape in front of the bull and you might get stuck by his horns. But, the matador, in this case, is in the ring with a whole bunch of others.

schizuki 05-31-2007 09:20 AM

Exactly.

mscuddy 05-31-2007 09:50 AM

Well let's hope the motorcycle wasn't doing a WHELLIE, since that might invoke the death penalty.

cls 05-31-2007 10:12 AM

Pretty simple, really: When the risk of continuing the chase outweighs the risk of the perp.'s actions w/o the chase, the chase stops. Period.

On the other hand, "Fleeing and attempting to elude" should be a mandatory felony. No excuses.

Better cops and training costs more money. Nobody wants to pay for that.

Helicopters and additional units to "radio ahead" to are often non-existent or not available (Even if they are, an effective road block for a bike is hard to come by so quickly. Stop sticks included.). They also cost money. Same problem as above.

I don't have all the details, obviously, but it sounds like the cops shouldn't have chased this one. The guy also shouldn't have run. I suspect they (we) will all pay for it.

johnnyb 05-31-2007 10:30 AM

3 Strikes needs to be applied to traffic too. 3 tickets and life in prison no parole!

joediver 05-31-2007 10:40 AM

Not the DC Metro PD, it was Prince County's finest...

BrowningBAR 05-31-2007 10:43 AM

Or shipped off to Venezuela...

sarnali2 05-31-2007 10:50 AM

Ya' hear that Krebs? they're gonna' string you up pal.....it's the long drop with a sudden stop for you my friend, better head for the hills by gar!!!!

R65guy 05-31-2007 10:51 AM

P.G. County, not D.C. Police

Please note that the accident occurred in Prince George's County, MD, not Washington, D.C. The P.G. police cause enough trouble for themselves without blaming the D.C. police for the problem.