Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 03-28-2001, 12:41 PM   #1
stevegrab
Founding Member

Default Re: Competition Accessories Confirms Slight to Drive Cars

Hmm, Roland Sands, I know he's a good racer, but has he done much competing on Superbikes? Last I read he was racing in the AMA 250GP Series. Would be nice to see them use some fresh talent, but I'll bet they get somebody with previous Superbike experience, preferrably on a Ducati.

PS Say it isn't so, another first post?
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-28-2001, 12:56 PM   #2
minime
Founding Member

I just mentioned Roland because he has such natural talent. He never trains, he doesn't have factory backing, he just has a bike that he pulls out a few times a year, enters a race, and ends up on the podium. Even in the British series he did last year for the Vimto Honda guys, he'd never been on that bike before, never seen those tracks, and finished top three in every race he finished. Even at Daytona this year, he passed winner Team Yamaha's Rich Oliver in almost every corner, but Rich had the motor to get back by him on the straights, leaving Roland to finish second.

Roland would probably do real well on the Ducati with a solid team behind him and a bit of training. If I were in Comp Acc's shoes, he'd definately get a call to at least come out and try the bike. He's young, talented and willing to learn.
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 01:07 PM   #3
stevegrab
Founding Member

Excellent, I didn't realize he did that well so often on less than the ideal equipment.

Is Tom Kipp still racing? Did I forget, was he Russell's teammate at HMC Ducati? I thought he rode for V&H Duc team last year.
Old 03-28-2001, 03:41 PM   #4
Roadster
Founding Member

I think it's a very mature attitude for Comp. Acc.

I could never figure out why teams would dedicate resources to a second or third rider who didn't have a chance in hell of getting into the top 10. When they have two great riders that is another story.
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 05:39 AM   #5
panthercity
Founding Member

What about Mike Hale????

(Uh, pardon me, but you are "professional" journalists, it's ensure, not insure. )
panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 06:13 AM   #6
hamatsu
Founding Member

Default Ground Control to Major stevegrab

Tom Kipp went to the UK with Roland and rode that dog-ass VTR SP-1 (RC51) in the remaining British Superbike Championship races last year with the Vimto Demon team. Roland, in my book, kicks ass ! HMC Ducati teammate ? Does Steve Rapp ring a bell ? Yes, Steve and Johnny K rode for V&H last year. I'm thinking, at this point, you don't keep up with racing do you ? Just a hunch...
hamatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 07:42 AM   #7
BONGTOKER
Founding Member

Default Re: Ground Control to Major stevegrab

Why doesn't Honda put any force behind there RC51 in the British superbike series?
BONGTOKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 08:28 AM   #8
stevegrab
Founding Member

No I keep on racing, in fact I probably follow too many series which is why I couldn't remember that it was Rapp and Johnboy last year.

Dog-ass RC51, same bike that won the World Superbike Championship? Talk about now following racing.
Old 03-30-2001, 03:53 AM   #9
hamatsu
Founding Member

Yeah, that would be the dog-ass in the British Superbike series. WSB is another story all together. If Haga hadn't pissed chemicals in a cup and Ducati would have recruited Bayliss sooner it would have been a different story in WSB, I think. Here in AMA, Nicky did the business on the RC-51. The point was that in British Supers, the VTR-SP1 was a dog. Sorry to pee in your cornflakes.
hamatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2001, 05:17 AM   #10
stevegrab
Founding Member

Geez, take a chill man. Regardless of who did what (pissing in cups, not recruiting people soon enough, etc). that is racing. The RC-51 still did very well for its very first season racing. I can't see how it could be dog ass slow. But then I don't follow the British Superbike series since I live in US and don't see much coverage here (no, I don't have Speedvision).

Maybe it was also a dog because they didn't have anybody good to ride it.