Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 04-25-2007, 08:48 AM   #11
bigjames
Premium Member

Default Re: More great press?

agreed...but what a burn out a soft tail can do!
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-25-2007, 08:59 AM   #12
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Yeah well I just read in the paper this morning that the number one sport for eye injuries is.......FISHING! It has surpassed basketball for the top spot.

Incredible.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:06 AM   #13
scottymac
Registered Member

Default Agreed.

I have zero empathy for those in the industry that tirelessly voice the "skill and talent" that exists within the massive minority of professional "stuntas". While it may be true that among these elite resides true ability worthy of applause, the promotion of this activity amongst the masses is negligent at best.

You may sell the stands dry of "Super Streetbike" now, but it won't matter when all of us have been legislated out of existence.

It's always been difficult just to convince newbs to do it right from the get go; get proper gear and some training, really place value on core skill sets. Learn from our mistakes. And that was before the dawn of the stunt culture as its become. Now they're going immediately from never having owned a bike to crashing in after-hours parking lots and city streets.

Nobody is going to tell me the promotion and commercialization of the stunt culture is a good thing for mototrcycling as a whole. It simply isn't.

There is no longview with the majority of these kids and this culture. They buy a bike, half-ass around as wannabe stuntas for a handful of years, raise the ire of the citizenry, then get out with a few injuries if they're lucky and move on. They spend a small chapter of the sum total of their lives around bikes and that's it. There is zero regard for the long-term damage that this sort of activity is going to mean for the rest of us.

Sounds like I'm a cranky old man, and maybe that's true, but it seems pretty obvious.

scottymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:08 AM   #14
testcase
Founding Member

Picturing that made my cojones crawl up into my liver...

--------------------------------------------------
The Wheelnerds Podcast - http://www.wheelnerds.com
testcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:16 AM   #15
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

Default Re: Bike vs. Rider

That's good thinking. The next logical step after this idea is "Ok, now that we think this, we can just legislate high speed motorcycles out of existence, problem solved."

We're always going to be thought of as dangerous fools. That's just the way it is. Pry it from my cold dead hands.
He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Kreb_Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:20 AM   #16
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

The odds are probably the same that his do-rag got in the only eye that could see straight after he finished chugging that last beer.

And the third possibility is he was reaching for his blackberry and forgot that cruise control doesn't know how to countersteer.
He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Kreb_Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:41 AM   #17
Lopoetve
Founding Member

that's YOUR problem though. Being capable of using ones intelligence (last I checked, we'd surpassed the great apes) is a symptom of being human. Either use your brain, or get off the roads. I don't really want to be riding with chimps.
Lopoetve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:46 AM   #18
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

They poke themselves in the eye with those damned bottle openers. Those things should be banned!
Old 04-25-2007, 09:51 AM   #19
schizuki
Founding Member

I don't want to be governed by laws passed as a result of your lack of self-control, thank you.

And please stay away from guns.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:52 AM   #20
ksquid
Banned

Actually I wouldn't worry about this too much.. Remember the car-racing craze after the movie the Fast and the Furious came out. You saw stories like this all the time. Great to see that sportbikes are leading the way by creating more ethnic diversity in the rider population. Cruisers never did that... It was refreshing to see the honesty and enthusiasm from these sport bike riders. Doubt they will be buying Harleys in the future.. Sorry GPTB but these kids are the future...
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote