Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 03-31-2007, 11:28 AM   #21
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

Default Re: First Bike Selection Thread Revisited

Did you hear though? He's taking the course and will get his license, he'll be fine.

There was a guy in my wife's MSF course who already owned a gixxer thou and just wanted to legal-up. My wife was a far better rider than he just from practicing on our neighborhood streets with her ninja 250. He passed the class though, so it's off to wheelie land.
He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Kreb_Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-31-2007, 11:30 AM   #22
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

People can die just as easily on a small bike as they can on a large bike.

A small bike can still go 70. Plenty of speed to kill yourself with.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 11:56 AM   #23
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

They are easier to handle out of scary situations though, but I'm still not a fan of tiered licensing.

He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Kreb_Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:02 PM   #24
imported_g_k
Registered Member

Here's another point of view: just accept the fact that events like this are part of life, and will continue to happen. I don't know if the guy was actually experienced or not, but people will continue to do stupid things, regardless of the opinions of others. Maybe in this case someone else caused the accident, but what can be done to prevent it? Nothing much, IMHO. We can (barely) control ourselves - why agonize over trying to control others? Tiered licensing? A great idea, as is banning cell phone usage while driving, but neither are going to happen here.

Just my 2 cents - you may disagree.
imported_g_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 01:05 PM   #25
seruzawa
The Toad

The problem is that far too many people disagree with you and are obsessed with controlling other individuals. Apparently a lot of people think that every bad condition can be prevented by legislation. Unfortunately your local, State and Federal politicians are too often control freaks as well.

No matter how many laws are passed people are still going to hurt and kill themselves.

Stupidity is a terminal condition for which there is no known cure.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:06 PM   #26
sanfrdnsun
Registered Member

Default Cell phones

Where exactly are you referring too when you say, "here" ? California, Connecticut, New Jersey, and New York all have state laws prohibiting cell phone usage while driving. Many other states have partial laws that address the issue in some fashion.
sanfrdnsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 01:07 PM   #27
seruzawa
The Toad

You'll be hard pressed to find ANY news article that isn't rife with errors and omitted information. So we just have to go with the best guess from what we have.

Still, how much you wanna bet that this guy isn't a newbie?
Old 03-31-2007, 01:11 PM   #28
seruzawa
The Toad

A lot of riders get killed while riding 40mph for that matter. I got centerpunched by some idiot in '72 while I was tooling down Sepulveda at an easy 40.

And when these discussions about tiered licensing occur usually a large number talk like an SV650 is a good beginners' bike. It's interesting that an SV650 has more power than ANY bike I could have bought when I started riding in 1963.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:24 PM   #29
fumanchu
Founding Member

it all comes down to brass tacks. someone above posted that their friend died in a 15mph motorcycle accident (which is definitely a tragedy, especially considering how innocuous that kickstand situation also could have turned out to be)... now, that was intended to refute an argument against tiered licensing, but it moreso supported the contention that motorcycling is inherently a fairly dangerous mode of transportation, and one that possibly represents an undue and avoidable tax upon our health care system. don't get me wrong, i am a motorcyclist as well as a native-born texan, which means that i will not go gently into that good night of federal regulation - but one can't stop the wheels of progress, and corporate rights to turn a profit seem to have come to take precedence over the old american idea of personal freedoms.

case in point: all too often, uninsured motorcyclists are being delivered into my ER (or cyclists whose policies don't or won't cover the extensive treatments needed to return them to society), and i do my best to undo their worst. they receive the same emergency treatment as anyone else would - intubation kits, blood infusions, defib machines, yards of sutures, bandages, computer tomographic scans, pure oxygen, steel femur splints, morphine, antibiotics... it all costs quite a bit of money in the end, and in these situations this either gets picked up by the state, or gets placed upon the shoulders of the next-of-kin, who then are forced to seek state welfare support to deal with their sudden state of hospital bill-induced bankruptcy.

what in tarnation is my point? the business of america is business, and if there is a way to trim the fat federally and privately without affecting the vast majority of the population, then it will eventually come to bear.

it would be unfortunate for our sport, but in the same way that very few miss the unlicensed back-country single-piston turboprop pole-racing of the 1920's (where often an acme sportsman would crash-land into someone's house or business), we might be experiencing the waning golden years of two-wheeled freedom.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:13 PM   #30
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

I found several mentions of the crash scattered throughout the web: they all say the same thing as this article, almost exactly.

The address of the crash scene is shown as being on the Northbound lane of a section of US 1(semi-divided 4-lane), at the intersection of one sidestreet to the East (Riviera). It's a place where a person could get up quite a speed (but I suspect the limit is 45mph or less).

You can't really tell from a digital Map, but it looks like a clear, fairly straight stretch of highway. It is possible someone may have pulled-out in from the sidestreet and he panicked, lost control, and hit the nearby pole. That would lend credence to the opinion he was a beginning rider.

But, without further details one can only make up a Story.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote