Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 03-19-2001, 09:46 AM   #1
ducatirdr
Founding Member

Default Re: Ortega Highway Motorcyclist Attack Update

Any on-line location of the drawings?
ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-19-2001, 09:49 AM   #2
Poser
Founding Member

Subculture called 'canyon racers?' Is there such a thing? The people who attacked the police officer should be hung by their toes, but it sounds a little like the sheriff may be lumping riders together as if we are part of some kind of criminal gang.

I hope the officer is OK, that the perpetrators get caught, and that the sheriff and public at large understand that one jerk does not make for a criminal subculture.
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 10:06 AM   #3
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Is it just me, or is this a perpetuation of stereotyping bikers? Canyon racers my @$$. Those guys were motorcycle thieves.
Old 03-19-2001, 10:16 AM   #4
SuperHawkGuy
Founding Member

Ok so I see alot of news about the two sportbike riders that assaulted (injuered)a police officer in California.

But where are all the news articles and public outrage about the police officer that deliberately ran a motorcyclist off the road in TN. and killed him.

I see alot of hypocritical hoopla about how motorcyclists are always stereotyped but you know what the media is the main culprit doing the stereotyping, and I feel especially strongly about this since it seems this DOG GONE! motorcycle news website right here seems to be perpertrating this same type of stereotyping.
SuperHawkGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 10:38 AM   #5
hindle
Founding Member

Just curious but what were the of the incident in TN. Was the motorcyclist running from the police?

Not saying it's ok for the police to run bikes off the road simply because they refuse to pull over. I'm just curious as to what really happened there? Was it an accident or did the police officer intend to run him off?

I've seen film of riders running from the police then slaming the brakes on so hard and fast the police can't stop in time and end up running into the rider. In this scenerio I really can't feel for the rider because he was 100% in the wrong. Provide a URL if there is one or any info on what took place.
hindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 11:23 AM   #6
VFRDude
Founding Member

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/25470.shtml

This link is to the news story about the Tennessee incident -- officer involved had two prior similar incidents on his record.

It seems its much easier for the public and the general press to lump all motorcyclists into a few easy categories, assuming all sportbikers are "canyon racer sub-culture" freaks, or all Harley-riders are "Hell's Angels" outlaws. We as motorcyclists know better, but "they" aren't going to take the time to understand the difference. And the police sure aren't going to help either as its easier for them to garner public support against motorcycles this way...

I hope the CA officer recovers quickly, and the TN officer gets put in jail where he belongs.

VFRDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 12:16 PM   #7
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default As long as we're on the subject....

HP patrol officers may be part of a sub-culture called "jack-booted thugs" who like to extort further departmental funding from taxpaying motorcyclists.......

These two criminal guys are (more than likely) part of a sub-culture called "theives" who like to steal cars and motorcycles from their rightful owners.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 12:51 PM   #8
stevegrab
Founding Member

That's a terrible story, I hope they give that cop some appropriate punishment. Isn't this the same area of TN (near Blount county) where Terry Barnhard (sp?) was killed by that TN Senator? I sincerely hope that justice prevails this time.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 12:53 PM   #9
Beethoven
Founding Member

Having just read the report in the paper it sure would seem that the officer deliberately pulled in front of the motorcycle (it's on tape no less). I hope the bastard gets life - murder is murder whether you use a knife, a gun or a car. The fact that this thug is hiding behind a badge makes it even worse as he is supposed to be somebody people can trust to see the results of his actions. I would hope that his fellow officers do what little they can to put this guy away.
Beethoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 12:54 PM   #10
Haga
Founding Member

Here, here to all the above posts... we won't even mention the TN politician who killed a motorcyclist and then got the stretch of road he killed the guy on named after his own murdering behind... or all the flat out BS that goes on in Deal's Gap(also in TN). I hope this CA cop is doing ok... does anyone know where we can send cards or emails?

PS- How intelligent ABC is to put together that canyon racers race in canyons. I'd agree with the notion that thieves are the subculture being dealt with though.
Haga is offline   Reply With Quote