Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 03-28-2001, 03:58 PM   #41
bugsplatter
Founding Member

Default Lets you, me, and MO settle this...

Cars,

I think you are on to a great idea, MO gets us the bikes and we get to try to prove our point.

The physics realy comes down to coefficient of friction and force vectors. The coefficient of friction between pavement and rubber changes dramatically with the addition of water. Thus stopping distances are much longer in the wet.

As far as stoppies being bad technique its simply not true, watch GPs or World supers and you will see guys with the rear wheel off the ground every lap. Its not technique but the design of the bikes. They used to do it even more as I can remember watching Schwantz and Rainey do it and I was amazed. The races in 1990 91, especially Assen were amazing and probably what got me into fast bikes instead of fast cars.

So hey, I am with you on the whole idea of settling this with a couple bikes, if only MO could provide them.... my bike is neither an R1 or a valk.

So MO you listening to us? Cars and I want to settle this, how about it? Or am I better of buying a lotto ticket?
bugsplatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-29-2001, 08:38 AM   #42
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Re: Lets you, me, and MO settle this...

Ok I'm game.

I don't think stoppies are necessarilly bad technique, but keep in mind GP riders aren't trying to come to a complete stop, and have much stickier tires. But I've never ridden an R1, and I could see that being true with the Valk--but I'd have to try it to be sure of course. Send those bikes over. As far as the water goes, the same is true for a car. The car driver just doesn't risk falling over if it slides. Most riders are afraid to slide. It's going to have to come down to the real world test here.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 04:16 PM   #43
bugsplatter
Founding Member

Default Re: Lets you, me, and MO settle this...

I guess MO doesn't want to get involved, and I paid my "donation" and everything. Here we are trying to help generate content, Oh well, I guess the world already has too many underemployed moto-journalist wanabe types.
bugsplatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 08:15 PM   #44
Latro
Founding Member

Default Re: That is true, but

I had no idea that they would let anyone this stupid ride a motorcycle. geez budy wake up.

On second thought go to sleep and stay there.
Latro is offline   Reply With Quote