Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 01-30-2007, 10:18 AM   #11
Gritboy
Founding Member

Default Re: Oregon Bill Would Keep Kids Under 12 Off ATVs.

Next they'll say baseball, skateboarding, rafting, swimming and dodgeball are too "risky" for kids under 12. What'll they be left to do... stay indoors and play videogames, have underage sex, meet stalkers in internet chatrooms, or get obese eating pizza rolls because they have no "childhood" to enjoy.

Gotta love a country that prides itself on freedom, yet doesn't trust us enough to actually let us live it. I'd love for all legislators to be crack addicts who don't have enough time to care what we do because they're off fiending for their next fix.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-30-2007, 10:35 AM   #12
LightninRVF750
Registered Member

Default Big Brother / little quadraplegics

As a Libertarian, an obnoxious strident one at that, I abhor and fight against government intervention in our personal lives, and especially in our parenting.

On the other hand, I understand and share the motivation for those who would pass such laws. Having worked trauma rooms for nearly all my adult life, I have seen dozens, truly dozens, of young scrawny necks snapped and lives irrevocably changed from quadraplegia caused by the roll-over of ATV's. It's not as bad now as it was in the '80's with the 3-Wheelers, but it is shocking how common this injury is... in San Diego during the winter when Glamis and the dunes are swarming, it is truly a rare weekend that passes in the ED without Life Flight bringing in one of these sad sad cases. Big heads with big leveraging helmets on them and little pencil necks without much muscle mean that even a very low speed rollover can leave them in a chair for life.

So while I don't want Big Brother telling y'all you have to, I BEG those of you with kids to teach them well, watch them closely, hope that they're not the reckless idiot I was at that age, and if you're so inclined a little prayer couldn't hurt either.

I know, the point of this post was to inspire the Big Brother vs. Bikers battle, not to get a lecture from the V4 loser jerk on safe riding and parenting, this is irrelevant, obnoxious, idiotic etc.

So flame me, ridicule me, tell me you'd like to stick a V4 up my Honda-loving backside with a Duc boot; tell me not to tell you how to raise your kids, tell me it could never happen to you or yours, I don't care.

I'll say it again.

Teach them well, and watch them like a mama hawk, I don't want to meet them in my Trauma Room.
LightninRVF750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:55 AM   #13
500Rider
Registered Member

here is canada there has been talk of making helmets mandatory for kids riding toboggans. No mention of whether it is safe to ride an atv.
500Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:41 AM   #14
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

If it only saves one life, it's worth it.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:02 PM   #15
byeway
Registered Member

If we did everything that would "save one life" we would give up automobiles first thing, then just about everything else in life after that.

Living is dangerous. If it would save one life, give it up.

byeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:10 PM   #16
seruzawa
The Toad

Amen, brother. It's for the children, after all.

But if they are really serious about protecting kids they would ban things that kill and maim far more kids than ATVs do:

Swimming pools, bicycles, soccer, football, automobiles, bath tubs, parents.......

It always seems to be someone ELSE's activity that the fascisti want to ban.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:19 PM   #17
nolaandy
Founding Member

Not only can we not depend on responsible parenting, there have been many cases (and more on the way, I'm sure) where a young child is killed or injured and the "caring" parents sue the maker of the vehicle. I suspect, cynic that I am, that the manufacturers had some hand in supporting this bill. Self-preservation.

I was raised racing bicycles, riding street bikes, and building hot rods. I was also raised with a healthy dose of safety rules and instruction. I know many folks who bought their kids off-road vehicles whose entire instruction was how to start the darned thing.
nolaandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:26 PM   #18
Dueducs
Founding Member

Some of our most talented riders started at a very early age. When you literally grow up riding dirt bikes and ATVs, you usually become a much more natural rider who can demonstrate vehicular control that is tough to match.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:30 PM   #19
schizuki
Founding Member

"I wanna ride, I wanna ride, I wanna ride..."

"Well, you can't, so shut up and play with your Nerf."

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:34 PM   #20
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

We need licensing and registration for having children.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote