Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 01-21-2007, 02:03 PM   #1
FX1200
Registered Member

Default Re: Bikers and Auto Drivers Split On Lane Sharing.

In SoCal, where the weather permits year round riding, a motorcycles full potential can be used if commuting is it's primary use as is my case.

I ride 100 miles round trip daily on a Buell XB and find myself frequently having to split lanes because of heavy traffic buildup with the vehicle flow resembling a accordion. The sudden stops can be deadly to a unprotected 2 wheeler as the distracted driver behind may react too late to avoid slamming into the rider.

I have been lane splitting for over 40 years and any close encounters of the worst kind have been rare, it requires 100% focus on what everyone is doing and being prepared for sloppy driving.

If lane splitting is disallowed in CA I will most likely commute in a car as the only real advantage a motorcycle has is it's maneuverability; the fuel mileage, maintenance cost or comfort do not put a motorcycle at any great advantage over a automobile.
FX1200 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-21-2007, 02:08 PM   #2
mii54ws
Founding Member

My problem with "lane sharing" aka "lane splitting" is I DEMAND gages to give me a full lane width when I'm traveling on any given highway. I don't want to allow them to pass me by just moving over a little and force me to stay in the right wheel track. Then how can I not recipricate by not forcing them to "share their lane"?? And if a gage changes lanes and causes an accident by not seeing a motorcycle "sharing lanes", WHO IS AT FAULT? Well, bet it will simply depend on how good the motorcyclist's lawyer is, or the mood the judge is in, depending on severity of injuries (to the motorcyclist, that is).
mii54ws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 02:46 PM   #3
ksquid
Banned

"If lane splitting is disallowed in CA I will most likely commute in a CA".. I am surprised you say that..since don't motorcycles have use of the HOV lane? Or is the HOV lane becoming clogged like 405 up here in Seattle/Bellevue WA does during rush hour?
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 03:31 PM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

I figure in the initial cost of the vehicle as well as routine costs. I've never spent more than $2500 for a bike I use to commute. The $15K difference between the cost of a bike and a decent car more than makes up for the high cost of bike tires.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:35 PM   #5
FX1200
Registered Member

The HOV lanes are clogged in SoCal during peak traffic periods.

FX1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 03:36 PM   #6
RonXX
Founding Member

Has anyone gotten a ticket anywhere for going between lanes at a stop light? I do it all the time now, and I don't think I'll be able to stop when I move out of California.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 03:42 PM   #7
pplassm
Founding Member

Lane splitting(sharing) legal in Germany? I tried it while I was stationed there, and got a lot of cager rage directed at me!

Old 01-21-2007, 03:43 PM   #8
pplassm
Founding Member

I can find lots of decent cars (Well, decent by MY standards!) for $2500!
Old 01-21-2007, 06:40 PM   #9
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

I try to keep the lane splitting to a minimum when the traffic is moving at all, because people in cars (myself included) make snap decisions about what lane they want to be in, and a motorcycle can disappear all to easily into a blind spot. When things come to a halt, I just motor slowly up to the front of the line. Pissing cagers off, in this situation, is just icing on the cake.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 06:51 PM   #10
drsmithy
Registered Member

It's interesting to note that the only place in the entire WORLD where lane sharing is illegal is in our 49 states -- not including California.

Splitting isn't legal in Australia (which makes the article's mention of it a bit strange).

Everyone does it, of course, but since it's not expressly allowed, technically the rider is guilty of an illegal passing maneuver (or illegal usage of a bike lane, etc). However, I think you only really have to worry if a) the copper is an arsehole (although admittedly that covers most of them) or b) you're doing something stupid (like zipping up between stopped traffic at 60km/h or riding between cars on the freeway at 110km/h).

There have been a few attempts to create specific legislation making lane splitting illegal, but I don't think any of them have actually been passed - but, ultimately, it's impossible to do it without breaking some other road rule.
drsmithy is offline   Reply With Quote