Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 03-16-2001, 09:17 AM   #1
MartialStax
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati Profits Rise

Hooray for Ducati. Now let's hope the looming recession doesn't slow them down.
MartialStax is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2001, 09:21 AM   #2
elitegroup
Founding Member

Slightly better, but not much more than the ez riders column. I'm not a big Ducati fan, but I like to see them bring competition to the japanese ruled market. So if the profits are up I guess thats a good thing for all of us. I don't own any shares in the Ducati company so I'm curious as to why this site is posting financial news? I still don't see any reason to donate yet guys helps me out here.......
elitegroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 09:26 AM   #3
JasonVS
Founding Member

Yeah, Great. Their stock price has gone from 30 in April of 2000 to $16.85 today. Woohoo!
JasonVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 11:13 AM   #4
granny
Founding Member

Ducati may be making money but in my opinion, the company has lost it's heart and soul with the departure of Massimo Bordi who was run out by not being promoted. In response to this news, Barry Sheene stated, "I hear that Bordi has left Ducati, that's the last one gone now, some one please turn out the lights".

Bordi was one of the last engineers (and actual motorcycle enthusiast) in the executive ranks of Ducati. Bordi was responsible for the basic engine design that Foggy used to win so many WSBK races/championships. It strikes me that Ducati is tending toward the Harley Davidson business model of "all show, no go" or as we say in Texas, "all hat and no cattle".
granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 12:41 PM   #5
stevegrab
Founding Member

I'm not trying to flame here.....

But if you expect that everything (or even a majority) they do is going to interest you, you're in the wrong place. I've come to realize how good MO is. But they are much more like Cycle World magazine, catering to all interest (sport bikes, touring, cruisers, dirtbikest, etc,). There are more targeted magazines (web sites too) for specific interests.

PS As I keep getting reminded, the news is not their main focus. The bike/product reviews are.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 03:16 PM   #6
fr21555
Founding Member

Mama mia! Dat's a-gooda news, passa me da cannolis, you bafangule!
fr21555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 03:34 PM   #7
Mutt
Founding Member

I kinda feel the same way. Corporate America always seems to focus on the flash and glitter instead of the actual product. Ducati needs to do more R&D or else it'll end up just like Harley-Davidson. Twenty year-old technology for a high price, and you get to part of club Ducatisti. I like Ducatis, but I hope TPG doesn't try to rely on Massimo's creation forever. They lost their soul when he left. They better find a new one, fast!
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 06:47 AM   #8
mpk
Founding Member

No knock on Bordi, but all this stuff about the soul leaving with him is nonsense.

Whatever he did right, and whatever you say about his being an engineer and enthusiast, he and the Castiglionis couldn't manage to make a decent regulator or ensure consistent parts availability. They left TPG with lots of quality control problems, which, one by one, the new ownership seems to be addressing.

TPG has made great strides in these regards, and they continue to improve things. They're not all flashy by any means. Look at the ST2/4 line. Since their introduction, they've gotten better alternators, sane sidestands, and several substantive real-world tweaks that have nothing to do with flash.

The Monster S4 is the real deal, as is the new testastretta superbike engine, which continues Ducati's history of significant refinement rather than reinvention.

So get over it.

mpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 08:47 AM   #9
Haga
Founding Member

All this and the #1 Ducati dealership in the nation still closed down this past fall/winter.
Haga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 07:06 PM   #10
granny
Founding Member

No, Ducati not only can be like Harley, it will be like Harley and soon. Now that Bordi is gone, Ducati is no longer an engineering organization, it is only a marketing organization (just like Harley-Davidson). Harley sells so much product because there are so many baby-boomers with disposable income that want antique machines to live out the "easy rider" and "born to be wild" fantasies they missed out on as teenagers. Harley is riding that wave. It's that simple.

Bordi was the guy that was responsible for the increase in quality and quantity of shipping product. Success is about selling product and Bordi (among others) made Ducati's recent years of success possible.

granny is offline   Reply With Quote