Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 01-13-2007, 05:29 AM   #11
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Engine Displacement

Notice that it sounds very close to an actual Daytona 675. If I had to guess, I'd say the bike in the video is revving to around 13,000rpm. That's well-above what you'd get from a 955 or 1050 motor, so I assume this is a 675-based engine. However, it might have received the dreaded "tuned for torque" treatment -or if we're lucky; the rider is short-shifting- It's also possible that the new exhaust alters the sound. No matter how you slice it: I WANT ONE!

Thanks to my irrational love for the sound of triples (and 6s and 12s,) we always made sure capture Triumphs on video when we tested them. Listen to these three videos and decide for yourself:

MO 955i Sprint ST

MO Daytona 675 -in the middle of the video-

Spy Video

-Sean

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2007, 05:48 AM   #12
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Engine Displacement

I think you're right, Sean. Although MCN was implying that this was a disguised prototype of the rumored D955i replacement, I think it's the 675 S3. It only makes sense. It does sound like the 675 and if the word from the un-named Triumph spokesperson is to be believed, the bike is coming out soon. Based on the official Triumph line about the big Daytona, this would be a complete reversal in policy.

There have been rumors of the naked 675 since last year, Triumph people have all but admitted that one is coming and some pundits expected the bike to be launched this year, which didn't happen.

I'd love to see the replacement for the big Daytona but this isn't it. However, I'm happy to see the naked 675 emerge, too.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 05:50 AM   #13
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Nekkid 675 Spy Shots?

The still was captured from a video, hence the poor quality and composition. MCN claims that a Triumph engineer made the photographer taking stills erase them all.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 05:58 AM   #14
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Default Re: Dastardly plot warning!

And this will differ from our current reality in WHAT way?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:04 AM   #15
Murphy123
Registered Member

I have to agree with Sean the sound of a triple is inspiring. Naked are making a modest come back in the USA. They would sell better if the industry would try harder! Look at the 05-06 Kawasaki Z750, very nice bike, but it looked blah! Now go to Kawasaki's UK site and look at the 2007 Z750 Much cooler, but is Kawasaki bringing it to the USA Nooo, why? Because the ugly one didnÂ’t sell...?? Makes no sense. I should care less what the latest RR is capable of, so that leaves me, where? A choice of two - three bikes? (Well, 2 that I could get parts for, sorry Italy!) And they would have 5-year-old technology and be tuned for boredom!

Gee, I wonder why Americans never buy non-RRÂ’s, unless they buy HarleyÂ’s (donÂ’t get me started!)

Apparently, it is a requirement that to work in marketing in the Motorcycle industry in the USA that you have an extra Chromosome (I apologize in advance for insulting my downs syndrome friends).

Triumph will introduce a speed triple 675, and an updated 1050 early this year in a surprise late intro. I hope that Honda and Kawasaki do the same with their 2007 Z750 and Hornet. Offer a fly screen, and they would sell.

Keep Riding!

Murphy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:05 AM   #16
staff
Registered Member

Default I all I know is this:

The exhaust note from the video is hauntingly similar to the exhaust note from the 675. Listen to both videos. Here's the video we did here:

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompa...s_Shootout.mov

The 1050 motor doesn't have that same note, and riddle me this, batman; why would Triumph re-do their Speed Triple to look so similar to the last one, except with a different swingarm? It makes no sense.

-Gabe
staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:06 AM   #17
tomk2
Founding Member

Default Re: Dastardly plot warning!

"... buy Fatbobs and $10K worth of HD boutique accessories. They'll then get tattoos and spend their spare time terrorizing their neighbors with open drag pipes and pork rib barbeques."

Why do they need transmitters? I thought that change occured naturally when you got old & your testosterone levels dropped?
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:12 AM   #18
staff
Registered Member

Default You is Crazy, Jim!

But we all know that...look, Triumph only has to sell 2-3 thousand of these in the US for it to be successful, and you think they can't do that? I'll bet they could sell 2-3 thousand just to us MOrons! I know I want one, and I think we'll see it here before the end of 2007.

Gabe
staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:20 AM   #19
acecycleins
Founding Member

Default Re: I all I know is this:

With the advent of the new "Baby Speed" on the horizon, Triumph will now be working on the Faired- version of the RIII. When released the 675 Speed bike will be as hot as the D675 is. Hope that Triumph keeps the price in the $7500 range. Otherwise, it will be a tough sell.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:24 AM   #20
tomk2
Founding Member

Yup, Monsters sell pretty well in the US... but Ducati offers nicely sorted bikes, not parts bin specials. If Triumph doesn't go all budget on the suspension, etc a naked 675 will do well here.

I think a Versys/WeeStrom killer mini-Tiger would be a possibiity too
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote