Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 01-02-2007, 04:34 AM   #61
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: Iowa Records More Motorcycle Accident Deaths, GPTB Increase May Be To Blame

"Went Shooting with The Wife to break-in a new toy."

Details!

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2007, 04:35 AM   #62
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Default Re: Iowa Records More Motorcycle Accident Deaths, GPTB Increase May Be To Blame

Yeah, but Darwin was still wrong - if Survival of the Fittest was true, the Moto-crash rate would be nearly nonexistant, as there wouldn't be any I.D.10-Ts left. Yet, still they come.............
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:43 AM   #63
macmanjim
Founding Member

I call them RUBs. Rich Urban Bikers, and they usually are FWPs, or Fair Weather Pussies. poseur is another relevant word...No, I am from NY, but have lived in Iowa for 4 years now...An adjustment at times.

2009 R1200RT

My Motorrad
macmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:43 AM   #64
schizuki
Founding Member

"Does anyone seriously doubt that feeble-minded, low-skilled cruiser pilots are overrepresented in accident statistics?"

You could make the same statement about idiot low-skilled inexperienced squids on bikes far too powerful for their skillz. Show me some actual studies with relevant data.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:48 AM   #65
macmanjim
Founding Member

Default Re: Free will on MO

Free will is not so much an illusion as something that has not been attained by most people. I prefer Ayn Rand...

--

"Any alleged "right" of one man, which necessitates the violation

of the rights of another, is not and cannot be a right. No man

can have a right to impose an unchosen obligation, an unrewarded

duty or an involuntary servitude on another man. There can be no

such thing as "the right to enslave". -- Ayn Rand

or

--

At first, man was enslaved by the gods. But he broke their

chains. Then he was enslaved by the kings. But he broke their

chains. He was enslaved by his birth, by his kin, by his race.

But he broke their chains. He declared to all his brothers that a

man has rights which neither god nor king nor other men can take

away from him, no matter what their number, for his is the right

of man, and there is no right on earth above this right. And he

stood on the threshold of the freedom for which the blood of the

centuries behind him had been spilled.

Ayn Rand

2009 R1200RT

My Motorrad
Old 01-02-2007, 04:51 AM   #66
macmanjim
Founding Member

You are thinking of Missouri....

2009 R1200RT

My Motorrad
Old 01-02-2007, 05:18 AM   #67
SRMark
Founding Member

I'm 52, ride an exer-cycle for an hour a day, walk 6 to 8 miles on the weekends and try to maintain some semblance of upper body strength. When I was 20 I was pursuing a career in baseball and was kinda in great physical shape. So, my physical condition is not as great as it was, but it ain't bad.

I wear bifocals, take blood thinners and have two stents in my heart. The majority of the cartilage has been removed from my knees (pitching takes a toll). I probably do have less bone density than I did when I was in my 20s. So, my body is wearing out but it is not worn out.

In terms of sharpness, I think I'm just a wee bit wiser than that 20 year old, testosterone riddled, immortal lad I used to be. True, my reaction times are not as great and my visual acuity is lacking but I do recognize a great deal more in terms of road hazards than I did when I was 20. Plus, I know that I'm mortal now and have adjusted my riding style to accommodate that realization.

I only stopped riding for about 5 years in my late 20s and picked it up again in the early 30s so my skill levels didn't drop that much. I rode bikes that were light and peaky, handled well for the day and stopped poorly by todayÂ’s standards. The bikes I ride now tend to be heavier but easier to paddle around the garage. They have larger engines, make more horsepower, are much easier to start and run much more reliably. I still do ride a few bikes from the 70s so I see, on a regular basis, just how far todayÂ’s technology has come. I rarely ride liter supper sports, as they overwhelm my sensibilities.

I can understand how 40-50 somethings, returning to the fold after 20 or more years away from the sport, might have some difficulty adjusting to current motorcycling. I believe this is especially true for those who ride cruiser or touring bikes that weigh over 700 lbs. Those legs, arms and backs are much weaker than they used to be. When that bike starts to tip, it either hits the ground or tears muscles apart.

May I suggest that Mr. Falb try to recognize the diversity of individual rider weaknesses and how those contribute to motorcycle accident. There is no mention of other causes of motorcycle mishaps either. All us 50-70 somethings of diminished capacities, driving around in monster cages, tend to hit a lot of stuff, motorcyclists included. His gross oversimplification of the situation is not appropriate for a man in his position.

SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:52 AM   #68
ikonoklass
Founding Member

I WOULD make the same statement about squids, and I'd be right again.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:27 AM   #69
seruzawa
The Toad

Aren't most of the vehicles on the roads there built by John Deere anyhow?
Old 01-02-2007, 06:34 AM   #70
seruzawa
The Toad

Shooting results last weekend?

Well, I discovered that using 40 gr of IMR4895 behind 350gr hollowpoints in the new Marlin 1895 (.45-70) give an average of 1840fps vs 1725fps from the 300gr Winchester factory loads. Plus they shoot substantially softer.