Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 12-21-2006, 05:17 PM   #11
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Default Re: Proposed Salt Lake City Helmet Law Not Just For Bicyclists?

I thought that it turns out helmets don't do near as much good on bycycles as motorcycles because of the lower speeds involved. Can't remember where I read that.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-21-2006, 05:33 PM   #12
schizuki
Founding Member

"Mind your own business. There's not one of you that I couldn't find some dangerous behavior to ban that you behave in yourselves. So just STFU."

Like riding motorcycles, for instance.

Somehow I think the risk differential (and health costs) between riding and not riding is far greater than the differential between helmeted riding and non-helmeted riding.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:37 PM   #13
griz
Registered Member

We have that law here in Western Australia. Just like any bad law its gets ignored by most people, and there not enough cops to enforce it anyway!
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 12:46 AM   #14
SuperBill
Founding Member

I suspect that itÂ’s only a matter of time before the "safety-first" 40 and under crowd (of which the Kook is so proudly a member) figures out that donning a helmet while bicycling, motorcycling, skiing, skating, etc. is only nibbling around the edges of the safety issue. The real issue is the underlying unsafe activity. As a non-skateboarder, I stand zero risk of injury while riding a skateboard, a risk that is infinitely less than the risk assumed by the skateboard rider, irrespective of the amount of safety gear worn by the rider. Unfortunately, I still retain a small amount of skateboard injury risk because I could be struck by an inattentive skateboarder. HmmmÂ…Â…. Maybe us non-skateboarders should attempt to minimize our passive risk by outlawing a risky activity in which we do not participate. No downside to me and we could save the skateboarders from themselves and eliminate an unnecessary risk to innocent passersby as well.

There are many of us that rail at the loss of liberty even when we are not directly affected by that loss. We understand what America is all about. Unfortunately, we are losing ground to the safety geeks. Ultimately, our sport will be banned by those seeking to protect us from ourselves. I hope to be dead by then.

(By the way, Kook, Sonny Bono would have died in that skiing accident even if he had been wearing a helmet. But donÂ’t let that take away from that warm fuzzy feeling you get when you helmet-up before launching yourself down a snow-covered hill.)

SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 01:09 AM   #15
pplassm
Founding Member

Who is it that said, "When given a choice between security and freedom, the masses will choose security every time."?

Or something to that effect.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:52 AM   #16
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Freedom my ass.. "

He's right. F&ck freedom. Pretty much says it all.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:42 AM   #17
SRMark
Founding Member

I learned to wear a helmet on the little bus so I wear one when I ride both my bicycle and mo'cycle. I really like the idea of putting lots of information in the hands of the masses and trusting them to make wise choices. I don't wear a helmet when I drive my car. Probably should but I do have the freedom of choice. God damn it, we all die anyway. Let's have a chance to live before we do and please don't make me live the way you think I should. I think I need to go sit on the little bus now.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:08 AM   #18
maladg
Registered Member

The europeanization of America continues to chug along right on schedule.

You ain't seen nothing yet. Once the Security Moms (NOT gender specific - I garrrrrooooottteeee you) are done with us....

Rest assured - they WILL win. Unless we have some biblical grade trouble. And who will the "safety & security for all nannys turn? 3 guesses and the first two don't count.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:27 AM   #19
SRMark
Founding Member

Pretty soon it will be illegal to sneeze, shake hands, pass gas, blow your nose or wear your underwear for more than 7 days in a row.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:49 AM   #20
yellowduc_1
Founding Member

Schizuki don't misunderstand my position. I'm with you on the benefits of protective gear. I think you are a idiot if you ride without it but the question is where you draw the line on Big Mother holding your hand. It can be dangerous to your health just getting up in the morning. I propose a govt. program that will pay me about 100k a year to sleep till noon or there about.
yellowduc_1 is offline   Reply With Quote