Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 12-18-2006, 06:30 AM   #1
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Safety Foundation Files Lawsuit Against Oregon State University

"Keep in mind the Team Oregon approach is becoming very popular and was recommended by the state of WA Governor's Task Force "

Irrelevant. It's still theft of intellectual property.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-18-2006, 06:34 AM   #2
dylanmo
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Safety Foundation Files Lawsuit Against Oregon State University

And what exactly is Team Oregon's approach? TFA makes it sound like "Stephen Garets", if in fact that is his real name, just ripped off MSF.
dylanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 06:46 AM   #3
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

How does this help Evel Kneivel get Whorin' an' Drinkin' money?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:13 AM   #4
Gritboy
Founding Member

True. At the very least they owe MSF and apology, some money and possibly a tagline that says we borrowed half this sh*t from the fine folks at the MSF.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:16 AM   #5
Gritboy
Founding Member

How you say!? Easy... the made a video using him as archetype of the crazy motorcyclist who likes to jump over traffic! There's gotta be some sue-money in there for him to use up drinkin' and whorin'.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 08:02 AM   #6
DBw9
Founding Member

The linked article is exactly the same as the press release on the MSF website. i.e. you're only getting one side of the story.

Motorcycle Consumer News did a couple articles on the current MSF training and the apparent attempt by MSF to monopolize training across the country. The same folks who are in leadership at MIC (Motorcycle Industry Council) also head up MSF. Hmmm, and MSF is truly independent and solely looking out for safety of riders??? Not to say that plenty of riders haven't benefited from MSF training, it's just good to understand the relationships.

There have been complaints about the newer Basic Rider Course copyrighted by MSF, thus some states may be developing their own training based on the old course (which I don't believe was copyrighted - not sure??).

BTW - since when is stopping a bike or negotiating a curve properly considered intellectual property. The case could be interesting.

Surely some other MOFO has quick access to MCN articles and can give us some more background.
DBw9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 08:45 AM   #7
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

It's copyrighted automatically. Anytime you publish something original, you have a copyright on it - whether you REGISTER that copyright or not is up to you.

Contents ©2006 The_AirHawk; All Rights Reserved.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 08:47 AM   #8
staff
Registered Member

Default How's the weather in conclusions?

I hope your jump was pleasant.

The story has no word from the U of Oregon, nor does it talk about what was allegedly appropriated. All we're going on is what the MSF's attorneys wrote in their lawsuit.

In fact, This entire story is just a press release from the MSF, and it's disturbing to me that a google search for more info on this turns up the exact same press release everywhere.

What's the real story? I don't know, but I'll bet it isn't in this press release.
staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:42 AM   #9
DaveFla
Founding Member

"Motorcycle Consumer News did a couple articles on the current MSF training and the apparent attempt by MSF to monopolize training across the country."

It's this history which leads me as well to wonder if this may be nothing more than a p*ssing match. Time will tell, I suppose.

DaveFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 10:07 AM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

Are there any copywrite attorney's out there? I'm not sure but I don't think you can sue someone for merely offering a similar training program to yours. If you could then every automobile driving school would be suing each other. Are they trying to say, for example, that no one can teach countersteering but them? Are we soon to see Freddie Spencer and Keith Code suing each other because they necessarily teach many of the same things? Do I have to send a royalty to the Boy Scouts because I taught my kids woodcraft and survival skills?