Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 12-11-2006, 11:41 AM   #41
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: WA State Motorcycle Safety Report

You GPTB a..hole you!!! here me and longride were trying to be serious and non-inflammatory(hard for a fire fighter and an ordnance guy) and you gotta go and ruin it!!!!KPAUL may be right about you(then again he may be wrong)
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2006, 11:43 AM   #42
Tigercub
Founding Member

Here's how I read the statistics.

Motorcycle registrations in Washington have increase 75% in the past 10 years. Fatalities have increased the same 75% in the same period of time. Severe trauma cases have nearly tripled in the past 10 years. The reasons are the same old obviouse ones, drunk driving, inexperience etc.

My conclusion: Global Warming has brought milder weather to the state of Washington making it more enjoyable to ride a motorcycle.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:47 AM   #43
Neal
Founding Member

Youre right of course. All safety data Ive seen uses the term "rate" but the data is usually just number of fatalities. I guess yoiu could say the rate is fatalities/registration ,which according to this data is increasing, but this could be misleading if the new registrants dont ride their bikes much. The only statistically significant rate data wiuld be fatalities /mile but this data would be difficult to get(i.e.::real research and statistical analysis ) and therefore outside the scope of most of these studies.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:51 AM   #44
Neal
Founding Member

Based on your conclusion,I make the following recommendation: Make all motorcycles registered in Washington run on diesel or electricity,therefore reducing the enjoyment(with current technology).
Old 12-11-2006, 01:09 PM   #45
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

I ride ~375 miles weekly, year 'round. Only exceptions are when the snow is actually flying, and the roads are iced-up. As I don't have a spare set of wheels and tires with some Cheng Shen's and ice spikes -- I don't ride in that crap............
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:12 PM   #46
Jvliv
Registered Member

Interesting conclusion. I commute 60 miles each way, mostly on I-5. Fortunately, I have never had an accident, but I feel my exposure is pretty high. One day, I felt that people driving Volvos had it in for motorcyclists. Three of them tried to take my lane away. This happens often. Usually I don't get upset by this, realizing that the driver just didn't see me. I find that drivers are usually quite embarassed when that occurs. It seems that you can develop a sense of who is going to move over on you just by watching how they drive. It is encouraging that the extra money that Governer Gregoire wants to collect from me will go to motorcycle safety training. There were two accidents this summer that I am aware of, where the car driver failed to yield the right of way, and a motorcyclist was killed. I wonder how those were written up in the police Report.
Jvliv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:14 PM   #47
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Think of all the extension cords strung all over hell and begone...........

And, what do you do when you reach the end of the 50mile+ cord reel, and it pulls it out of the wall socket?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:29 PM   #48
schizuki
Founding Member

"the study did note that helmet law went into affect in 1990. "

Well, yes, but you see, there is a "lag" between the time a helmet law is enacted and the time that the fatalities decrease. It's Stats 101.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:37 PM   #49
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

I read some place that the King of Sweden had to go chop trees down for a while. Now THAT's what I call Justice for all.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:42 PM   #50
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

What struck me about the whole thing was: this is what they came up with after extensive study? 'Most accidents occur in the summer, and some of them involve improper lane usage? What the hell does that mean? Lane splitting? Passing over a double yellow line? Two pages. Probably cost several million bucks.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote