Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 12-11-2006, 08:51 AM   #31
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: WA State Motorcycle Safety Report

All kidding aside, it's interesting that statistic wasn't included even though the study did note that helmet law went into affect in 1990. Im assuming that since Washington has a helmet law and statistics werent stated ,the amount of unhelmeted fatalities was statistically insignificant ,if not 0.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2006, 08:57 AM   #32
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Yep, all those dead guys had helmets on. Maybe the AMA was correct in the first place when they stated that education and training were needed to lower death rates, and NOT helmets. Now Washington State is singing the same tune. Ironic?
Old 12-11-2006, 09:51 AM   #33
Neal
Founding Member

Yep. I have no doubt that a helmet may save my life if I crash ; but I KNOW being a proficient rider will reduce the likelihood of me crashing. When my son started riding,I made sure he had a good full face helmet and told him I'd kick him off my insurance if he didnt wear it (he was attending AMI when Fla dropped their helmet law). But MOST IMPORTANTLY,I stressed good riding techniques and track days. Luckily he rode and raced dirt bikes since he was 10 and is a natural rider. I advise anyone with kids to get them out on the dirt early if you think they may ever want to ride on street. MAKE SURE they know how to ride,hope they use some decent judgement and hope they wear a helmet...but MAKE SURE they have adequate skills.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:57 AM   #34
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"but MAKE SURE they have adequate skills."

I'll take that 10 out of ten times for safety. Stupidity will find its way around any piece of safety equipment ever made. Wearing a helmet is good. Knowing how to ride it infinitely better.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:38 AM   #35
bmcd308
Registered Member

Default Re: Lane Error

What the hell is a lane error and how can I avoid making one?
bmcd308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:49 AM   #36
Gluge
Registered Member

uh am I missing something where's the fatalites/mile vs year chart? I see no evidence based on that that the death rate is rising.

Where is the chart showing that they had the highest death rate in recent history?? I just see a chart showing total fatalites...
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:51 AM   #37
KLRer
Founding Member

I was a little surprised to see that alcohol was involved in 40 percent of fatalities in Washington state. And they didnt even mention other drugs. Its just suicidal to mix alcohol and motorcycling imo. Just like alcohol and flying a small plane don't mix or alcohol and golf or alcohol and any activity that requires timing, balance and/or mental acuity. I wouldnt have a couple beers and then try to walk across Niagra Falls on a tightrope either.
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:12 AM   #38
Tigercub
Founding Member

"As a society we did not do a great job reducing drunk driving."

Because it's impossible to enforce. BAC levels for drunk driving are set ridiculously low in the off chance that they catch the moron who can't even drive sober. And even then it's almost always after the accident.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:13 AM   #39
seruzawa
The Toad

Wrong! Wear a helmet and ride a sportbike. Then you can never crash. Why, just look at how the youngsters did so much better on the WA crash stats.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:19 AM   #40
Tigercub
Founding Member

Default Re: Lane Error

A lane error is when you make your own lane instead of using the one provided by the government.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote