Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 11-13-2006, 10:55 AM   #21
RonXX
Founding Member

Default Re: Photo Tickets

So what is it considered when a Meter Maid puts a parking ticket on your windshield or handlebar? Is that a proper service, like a cop handing it to you? I mean, it could easily blow away or get rained on, then the city that issued it is just going to send the next notice in the normal mail. Would you just throw all those away too?

I'd love to follow your advice, but to me it seems too good to be true.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2006, 11:15 AM   #22
ymsamhi
Registered Member

Thats a good point, I should check with my Lawyer wife about this one but it most often turns into a conversation about statutes and city regulations that makes me want to die of boredom.
ymsamhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:23 AM   #23
acecycleins
Founding Member

When issued by a traffic officer or "meter maid" the state has a witness. When fines are issued using only electronic means- the sate has no witness.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:41 AM   #24
jsherm01
Registered Member

Goodness, I always figured that if these cameras started popping up in the U.S. Bubba would exercise his constitutional right to bears arms and start shooting the cameras all to hell...
jsherm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:56 PM   #25
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

It's a more effective message if you do like the Brits - hang an old tyre 'round the camera's Four-Asterisk'n "neck", and set that mutha alight.

I hear that it has occasionally made the Bobbies give it up in particular areas.

That, or perhaps one could call upon Angle Grinder Man!
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:58 PM   #26
robbiedo
Founding Member

Default Ban The cams

If you are not happy with the cameras, vote to ban them. Get enough signatures to qualify to repeal laws in your state which authorize the use of photo traffic enforcement, or get a state constitutional amendment banning their use.

If you feel that they are a useful tool for law enforcements, and cut down significantly on traffic accidents and fatalities, then support their use.

I can see the benefit of the red light cameras. Failure to yield is a real danger. The speeding cams, not so clear of the benefit.
robbiedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 01:54 PM   #27
orcyclist
Founding Member

I am a lawyer. Tell her that this is not a criminal case. It is a civil infraction in most states. As far as I know service is still needed under any cases. By the way how the heck do they know to whom to send the ticket? My motorcycle has only a rear plate and the images of the camera I have seen ( none personally) have been from the front of the automobile. Never have seen a motorcycle photo shot, so I may be all wet on this one.

It is the prosecution's burden of proof - ask the wife about that one. The Phoenix case was more than a speeding ticket, it was a scofflaw case that is used to send a message to the masses. Continually getting tickets and not changing your behavior is, well, dumb. Did the woman think she was going to get off totally scot free. 25 speeding tix - How much of a slow learner is she? Put down the cell phone and step away from the Latte, ma'am!

Know when and where to go fast and when and where not to. Works for me. Also keep your head up and look ahead. No - FAR ahead. See those unexplained brake lights?Maybe, just maybe, it is that reflexive reaction to seeing radar or photo van. If that fails, use the brakes - hard if necessary ( you do know where all the cars around you are don't you? ( see situational awareness a la fighter pilots)

enough outa me.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:02 PM   #28
orcyclist
Founding Member

google: photoblocker
Old 11-13-2006, 03:56 PM   #29
silverkatana
Registered Member

I don't know about other states, but check out this linky for a better insight into the issue in California:

http://www.highwayrobbery.net/

Bottom line, the mail DOES NOT have to be "return receipt requested", only certified that it was mailed. There are ways of fighting the camera police, but ignoring the tickets is not one of them.
silverkatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 04:41 PM   #30
dean_1
Founding Member

Uh, yeah. Ignore the Man you can outsmart him. Okay. Here's the deal. This is a new form of revenue collection. It will become more efficient very quickly. If you're not a chronic offender you may get away with tossing them for now but don't expect it to last. If more state (not federal) laws are needed they will be passed, data bases will be developed and nobody will skate. You are dealing with state and federal governments that have the authority to confiscate your property (vehicle, cash, license) and not return it EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT CHARGED OR FOUND INNOCENT. This usually only happens if you are Vietnamese and on your way to buy a new shrimp boat with cash or if your black, not connected, and driving a car that retails for over $100,000 so it's no big deal to must of us but just remember they make the rules, they carry guns, and there is more of them than there are of us.

Oh yeah - you will never see this issue dividing the Republicans and Democrats.
dean_1 is offline   Reply With Quote