Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Paranoid News Clips (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/paranoid-news-clips/)
-   -   Motorcycle Accident Victim Disputes Police Report. (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/paranoid-news-clips/4008-motorcycle-accident-victim-disputes-police-report.html)

clively 10-19-2006 12:04 PM

Re: Motorcycle Accident Victim Disputes Police Report.

I watched the video and from the damage on the bike, it is possible the police version of what happened could occur. I saw a Ducati at the local track day go down in a slide with damage similar to this. It, however, was going excessively fast and the rider was wearing full racing attire and was not hurt. I could not see any marks on the roadway or paint transfer on the mc to say what happened though. There is almost always some type of evidence at the scene unless it is fresh blacktop and it hides the tire marks. In this case the victim should go back to the last place he knows everything was ok and look for any type of odd tire markings. The collision probably happened a long time ago since he is out of the hospital and moving around but some marks may be left. If he is sure he was stopped at the intersection and a car hit him from behind, there will be a short skid mark from the car impacting the rear tire, depressing it and crushing the rim. There will also be scrapes in the pavement where the bike lays on its side (judging from the abraded side panels) or footpegs/handle bars. If he was hauling a$$ and wiped out there will be marks as well, such as long brake marks, curb strikes, or very long scrapes where his bike slid on its side. The accident happened in Texas. The victim needs to get a copy of the accident report, see exactly the methodology behind the cop's thinking, ask for his level of training in collision investigation/reconstruction and hire her own accident investigator. Law enforcement agencies do not receive the best training and can make mistakes based on their limited knowledge. She should also hire the "Motorcycle Attorney"(maybe Bill Lay?) that advertises in all the magazines here, or someone like him to assist in finding out what happened. They will probably never find the turd that possibly hit the victim but he could have compensation due to insurance or crime victim funds.

seruzawa 10-19-2006 01:00 PM

No, he's not. He actually believes that crap.

ER1B 10-19-2006 01:47 PM

I would have to agree with the family on this one. The back wheel is crushed and the exhaust is bent upward-all consistant with a rear end collision. During the impact, he slid backward into the tail piece of the bike which is likely what cracked his vertibrae; either that or he slid backward into the front of the vehicle that hit him. I had a similar accident myself where I was running around 80 down a major, multi-lane highway at night and was clipped from behind by a refugee from the 'Fast and the Furious'. The bike basically stopped and slammed to the pavement catapulting me 200ft down the highway. The bike exploded and burned. I was unconscious in the highway. The driver kept going. Like this kid, the cops arrived to find me and the bike in the road and no witnesses. You can guess the rest...Lucky for me, I only broke a collarbone, but the rest of me was pretty well shredded.

longride 10-19-2006 02:35 PM

Re: Sporbikes don't kill people who ride Sportbikes kill

"Yes if driven with in(sic) the traffic rules. "

So if I was going to drive within the traffic rules at all times, why would anyone want a sportbike? The whole point is to break the rules early and often, unless you can't brake or steer around something simple........say a branch in the road. In that case you better go slower than the law allows to stay within your skillset. Better yet, go charge the battery again and leave the riding to those that can ride.

orcyclist 10-19-2006 02:41 PM

And NO apparent damage to the bike front end? How do you get only damage to the rear, tail, rear wheel if you go off the road. "Laid it down" means scratches and likely a flip over of the bike, doesn' it? Why would you lay it down at an intersection unless you were going to hit something which means a witness or 4.

This seems obvious.

The cops never expected the kid to get a PI to investigate, did they? If you watch the video and think about the damage, it matches up quite well with being hit from behind. I bet that the light turned green and the vehicle didn't see the bike and rammed him before he could move. Game over.

I would like to see the PI's findings about broken glass, paint transfer, skids, etc. The cops now are in the "we can't admit a mistake" mode. Circle the patrol cars, bubba!

jmortensen 10-19-2006 02:44 PM

Good point. Some health insurance have exclusions for injuries related to certain activities (e.g. riding a motorcycle). I don't believe that this is real common now, but it could become the norm. Here's an article on this topic:

http://home.ama-cycle.org/membersonl..._dl.asp?id=598

Dangerousdave_2 10-19-2006 02:50 PM

You have waded into a long running buzzsaw about whether sportbikes are safer than cruisers because they handle and stop better. Save yourself right now, if you can.

Dangerousdave_2 10-19-2006 02:52 PM

I tried to warn you.

Dangerousdave_2 10-19-2006 02:56 PM

More and more, special 'exclusions' are being written for anything that has the slightest thing to do with motorcycles. The last time I hurt myself, I just lied about it, because I wasn't hurt that bad, and I could. I just fixed the bike myself. It's only a matter of time until there are exclusions written on skydiving, rock climbing, anything to do with water or snow, and probably it will stop when they try it with firearms, because them people got real clout.

Dangerousdave_2 10-19-2006 03:05 PM

Yeah, what is the deal with motorcycles and any sort of investigation? The cops get clueless, and reporters write some absolute nonsense about a kid on a dirt bike leading them on a chase at speeds 'exceeding 150 mph'. Most things on the news, I have no independent means of verifying--kinda makes you wonder whether they ever get ANYTHING right. Forget Liberal bias for a second--I'm just talking dumb and lazy.