Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Paranoid News Clips (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/paranoid-news-clips/)
-   -   Motorcycle Accident Victim Disputes Police Report. (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/paranoid-news-clips/4008-motorcycle-accident-victim-disputes-police-report.html)

mikedard 10-19-2006 10:48 AM

Re: Motorcycle Accident Victim Disputes Police Report.

Wasn't able to see the video, but his injury a broken #1 Lumbar Vertebrae the biggest one in the spinal column down next to his hips.

Without any other injuries sounds like a hit from behind.

tripleripple 10-19-2006 11:03 AM

Wait a minute....he was riding a ZX9R. I thought sportbikes were supposed to be safe. If he were on a cruiser I could understand this happening....now I'm so confused.

ksquid 10-19-2006 11:12 AM

Yes that adds credence to the case it was a hit and run.. good point. Sportbikes are safer.. :)

jmortensen 10-19-2006 11:22 AM

I don't have enough details to make any conclusions in this particular case, but I low-sided at 30mph and came away without a scratch or bruise. Only my cordura riding pants had a minor scuff.

busa99999 10-19-2006 11:24 AM

Back rim split and exhaust can bent up and in half sure looks like he was hit behind to me. The NTSB should be called They are the only agency that does a great job of accident investagation if this man were piloting a plane that is what would happen instead the doughnut eatin crowd blames the rider as always.

ksquid 10-19-2006 11:28 AM

"Back rim split and exhaust can bent up and in half sure looks like he was hit behind to me." Yep I agree. You make a great point bout the NTSB and the donut crowd.

theDuke 10-19-2006 11:34 AM

I certainly don't know any facts that aren't apparent in the story and video, but I certainly have difficulty believing that a high-speed get-off could crush the back wheel, seat frame, and exhaust like that but not do any damage to the front of the bike or fairings. It sure looks to me as if he was rear-ended.

Of course, historically, the police are the first to admit when they make mistakes, so I'm sure the investigation was thorough. Not.

I also find the insurance situation strange. Why wouldn't health insurance cover him if the cycle insurance did not. It's entirely possible that he only had the minimum liability insurance on the bike. Given what it must cost to insure someone his age on a ZX-9 it's understandable that he minimum coverage, but it would be pretty dumb.

jmortensen 10-19-2006 11:39 AM

Without medical coverage on the bike's policy, only his uninsured motorist coverage would cover medical bills in an accident. If there are no witnesses, nor evidence of a hit and run, his medical bills are not covered.

If he had general health insurance (i.e. not tied to his bike's insurance), that would have covered it regardless of the cause.

Apparently he didn't have medical coverage.

It seems that most insurers don't provide medical coverage for a motorcycle. Anyone know one that does?

If you don't have health insurance, you're at risk unless you can get medical coverage for your bike.

longride 10-19-2006 11:52 AM

Safe sportbikers doing their thing HERE

tripleripple 10-19-2006 11:53 AM

I hope you are kidding.