Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 10-16-2006, 11:36 AM   #31
pikehk
Founding Member

Default Re: Crown Vic will do 130-135

The Crown Vic will do 132 to 135 or so indicated on the speedo. I don't know what the actual speed is though. Thats low profile light bar and all. It definitely won't do 145. The one I drive stops at 132. It won't do 125 in overdrive. A motorcycle will dust any cop car its just all the turning and other cars that allow us to catch them.
pikehk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-16-2006, 11:52 AM   #32
bradbarker738
Registered Member

Default Re: Park Cty Sheriff Tops 145 mph in Chase.

Oh yeah. In my opinion, that officer should at least be fired if not prosecuted for assualt with a deadly weapon. But of course non-motorcyclists will say that if he wanted to be protected when getting wrecked by the police, he should have driven a car. The only way anything would happen to the officer is if the motorcyclist suffered serious injury or death.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:01 PM   #33
Buzglyd
Founding Member

So what do you think about the cop wacking into the guy's rear wheel?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:02 PM   #34
clively
Founding Member

The article was poorly written. The speeds got up to 145 mph but it doesn't say how the sheriff measured this, wether by pacing or guesstimating. The speed is possible but is it probable? The mc maybe, the cv, not likely but trained properly you can tell a speed of a vehicle. It does not say how fast the motorcycle was going when the PIT manuever was applied or other roadway conditions during the pursuit. The rider only had scrapes or bruises so he probably was not going very fast (maybe slowing for a curve). Was either right or wrong? The rider danced the dance and will pay the fiddler. Maybe the community accepts or desires the law enforcement officials to not tolerate squat and come down heavy fisted on violators. Maybe the Sheriff was under to much stress and snapped. Either way time will tell. The rider can sue the county/sheriff and reap big $$ or the criminal justice system will plant one between the rider's cheeks and send a message to potential law breakers. Right or wrong we don't live in Perfectville. I would like to know more about the story though and how it turns out if a fellow MOron has access to the whole story. In the mean time, try not to hit the Sheriff while you are breaking through the roadblock unless you can grab his car keys dangling from his belt.
clively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:16 PM   #35
clively
Founding Member

If the guy was going very slow, was wearing protective gear, had no curbs, poles, or any objects were near (other than soft grass) and he was about to enter a highly populated area I would say maybe. Based on what I read in the story, no, but it is a poorly written story. However, if the rider is wanted for murder or an aggravated assault where he posed a threat to society, then I would do whatever it took to stop that threat as long as I didn't threaten others.
clively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:40 PM   #36
orcyclist
Founding Member

And after intentionally hitingthe motorcycle and pushing him off the road all teh ride got was scrapes adn bruises? Ho is this sherriff's spin doctor? He makes Carl Rove look like a truthful fella! 145 - Yeah, right. Remember this is at altitude as well so ain't no Crown Vic that is gong to go that fast. He celarly is alegend in his own mind!

Ya big dummy! How many "innocent folks" did he endanger with his grandstanding? A hit and run with a car and a motorcyle? Isn't it usually the car that fleesd?
Old 10-16-2006, 01:50 PM   #37
allbikesbiker
Registered Member

I got my new nightrod up to 138 indicated. next time I'll bring the GPS and take a glance to see the real speed.

PD Crown Vics will easily do 130 if they're not "all busted" up municipal/metro vehicles.
allbikesbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 03:44 PM   #38
FrankS1
Founding Member

Pretty clear all the cop haters here haven't been on 285. Kenosha Pass is over 10,000 feet, and Jefferson & Como are under 9000. A Police model Crown Vic, which doesn't wallow like your mother's car, can make it downhill just fine; in fact I'd say that 145 mph is a good bit slower than the car was actually going.

Also, you have to figure that a biker who is thoughtless enough to leave the scene of an accident probably was lucky to make it as far as he did.

As far as I'm concerned, why dontcha all go back to reading the "car hits biker and leaves the scene" stories here on MO to work up a justified resentment, and reflect that maybe "biker hits car or pedestrian" should arouse just about as much.

If nothing else, deliberately running down a Police Officer at a road block isn't exactly a way to endear yourself. If a follow up story says that the biker was beaten up in the cellblock or "while resisting arrest", I'd just say that MAYBE he got a bit of the lesson he deserved..
FrankS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 04:08 PM   #39
ksquid
Banned

Stop Frank you are making me home sick for Colorado. Where men are men and sheep are scared. No thatÂ’s Wyoming... My brother-in-law was a deputy Sheriff back in Red-State country used to say "Shoot them all, God will sort em out"..One thing I miss out here on the blue coast is the efficiency of the Colorado law enforcement. In Seattle, one wacko guy running around downtown with a sword can shut the city down for a day. In Denver two cops take care of the same situation in 5 minutes. Granted the guy with sword may be going to the morgue.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:35 PM   #40
scottlit
Founding Member

Seriously. I can vouch for high 130's in an interceptor model, and it got there damn quick too. I wasn't driving, but it felt to me like there was still a little something left at that speed.
scottlit is offline   Reply With Quote