Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-19-2006, 05:08 AM   #61
bbtowns
Founding Member

Default Re: 'Wobble' to Blame for Officer's Death?

I find the comment that all motorcycles wobble at high speed to be a bit misleading. True, but for some bikes (many) that speed is well into triple digits.

Basically 85 is not a high speed pursuit as many of us travel that fast routinely on the freeway, but passing a truck while in/approaching a corner is a high risk activity at best.

Even though I personally would not choose a Harley to pull over vehicles at ordinary interstate speeds, the officer should be aware of the handling limitations of the bike he is assigned to operate. Regardless my condolensces to his family.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-19-2006, 05:17 AM   #62
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Personal experience doesn't count.

You're just a GPTB Fox viewer.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 05:21 AM   #63
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

What did that cycle cop expect the car to do if he caught up with it??? Maybe hit it in the bumper to spin the car sideways. This cop wasn't thinking clearly and he paid the price. Same thing happens (at times) when the "chased" is on a motorcycle, the outcome can be very messy. My question is this: Why do police feel they can endanger the rest of the public with these chases in the first place?? Maybe if the suspect has committed some heinous crime but if it is only for some traffic offense I say chases are ridiculous and only turn a minor offense into a possible felony because of split second bad decisions by both the parties. Harley Davidson should not be culpable in this lawsuit because police motorcycles are not meant for taking on cars in high speed pursuits. Why not the construction crew who left the cement bag on the side of the highway?

By the way, the Buell Ulysses is much better suited for being used as a cop bike. I believe at least one is being used as a police bike somewhere.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 05:22 AM   #64
SmokeU
Registered Member

I haven't felt anything riding my dad's '06 Road Glide. It's solid and comfy, albeit a little weak. Great for touring.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:51 AM   #65
Buzglyd
Founding Member

The Road Glide has the fairing mounted to the frame. The E-Glide has the fairing mounted to the bars so the steering is a lot heavier and you can feel it wiggle when you pull up alongside an 18 wheeler.

I just relax and pass them and it's never really been a problem.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 05:56 AM   #66
seruzawa
The Toad

There ya go again. Trying to inject real world experience into a subject that is supposed to be settled through theory, secondhand rumors and spec sheets.

Tsk tsk.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:03 AM   #67
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Well put.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 06:08 AM   #68
johnnyb
Founding Member

No doubt the police like the Hogs because of the image they project, the same reason the CHP motor officers wear the silly 1920's uniform that pretty much guarantees nasty injuries anytime they come off the bike. It's like, the Chinese, they've seen the fork.

The CHP has seen Aearostich gear and flip-up full-face helmets, but they choose to put themselves at risk. Or the people in charge do anyway. Welcome to govt. agencies that defy logic.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 06:13 AM   #69
ksquid
Banned

LOL you beat me to it..

Though you your intuition probably is accurate

"The Road Glide has the fairing mounted to the frame. The E-Glide has the fairing mounted to the bars so the steering is a lot heavier and you can feel it wiggle when you pull up alongside an 18 wheeler"
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 06:15 AM   #70
ksquid
Banned

WSP uses proper gear flip full face helmets etc... I thought it might be a blue state thing.. Probably still is Northern Cal is blue and SoCal is red? Most CHPs motorcycle officiers are in SoCal...
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote