Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-18-2006, 09:57 PM   #51
demanufacture
Founding Member

Default Re: 'Wobble' to Blame for Officer's Death?

I just gotta say it.

This cop stuck his head out stupidly by pursuing a SPEEDER.

This isn't some heroic death chasing a real criminal.

If he just let the guy go and worried about things that matter, he'd be alive.

Let that be a lesson to other cops.
demanufacture is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-19-2006, 03:05 AM   #52
mikenomad
Founding Member

Default Re: Death in the Pursuit of Revenue

Maybe you should get a brain.
mikenomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:34 AM   #53
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

It says the bag was leaning against the guardrail.

If he was forced wide enough to hit a bag leaning against a guardrail, chances are he was probably going to hit that guardrail in another couple yards anyway. It is safe to assume that he was already out of control when he was forced onto the shoulder (or he wouldn't have been there) and he didn't hit the bag until after he had departed lanes and was within a foot or two of the guardrail. I'm guessing hitting the bag wasn't a "good"thing, but I'm also guessing a crash was in his immediate future either way.

Just a hunch.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:37 AM   #54
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

It is if you're riding an Electra Glide.

Old 09-19-2006, 04:47 AM   #55
Buzglyd
Founding Member

With carne asada burritos in the Tour Pack!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:50 AM   #56
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Harsh. (but probably true)
Old 09-19-2006, 05:10 AM   #57
wolfpack_fan
Registered Member

As a MCN subscriber, I've following MCN's instability claims since they originally reported it in 1999. Month after month, reader/Electra Glide riders wrote in to MCN with personal reports of Electra Glide instability. The fact that more than one aftermarket solution has resulted (see above posts) tells me that this is a real problem. Sure, steering dampers are sold for a lot of bikes, but they're intended for race track use. If you have a steering damper on your sportbike and never see the track, it's just bling. Unless of course you routinely ride at triple-digit speeds over rough public roads. In that case, well, that's just stoopid.

You're right that every motorcycle has negative aspects, but I would call this one inexcusable. Especially when the bike is to be used by police. The road that was being traveled has a speed limit of 60mph (I know, I live there). Cops generally ignore anyone doing less than 10 miles over the limit. So, let's say that our super-dangerous criminal was doing 72mph. It's quite easy to see that Officer Paul is going to have to get up to speeds of 85mph or more to catch said speeder, especially if he's giving chase from a standing start. Other local freeways have speed limits of 70mph...you get the picture.

I agree that motorcycles should not be used as pursuit vehicles, but in this case it appears the Electra Glide shouldn't be used on interstates at all. So police motorcycle use will be limited to city streets? Sounds like a serious waste of taxpayer dollars to me...just buy a big gas-guzzling car that can do it all.
wolfpack_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 05:22 AM   #58
Munson
Registered Member

Default Re: Death in the Pursuit of Revenue

Being inattentive at high speed is certainly more dangerous than at low speed. You'll have that much less reaction time when you finally notice what's happening around you.

Of course, if you don't take your eyes off your Blackberry until you hear metal grinding, then nothing will help.
Munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 05:39 AM   #59
seruzawa
The Toad

I don't understand the lawsuit at all. We have been authoritatively informed by the greatest motorcycle genius in history that MCN is run by GPTBs and that their information is false. So there is no wobble.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:02 AM   #60
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I've ridden at least 3 Glides for many thousands of highway miles and cruised at 80 to 85+ many times, 1 up and 2 up, and never had a serious wobble. The bike WILL tell you when you are pushing it too hard in the corners by starting to wiggle some, and I'm sure if you want to push it you will be tasting some turf. My 96 Gold Wing did the same thing at high speeds. I think there is more instability caused by the handlebar mounted fairing than by the frame construction. I don't think anyone that rides a Road King or Road Glide complains about wobbles as much as Electra-Glide owners, from the internet forums I check out. I know the frame can get out of alignment, which was the case with the MCN bike from what I remember, but that should be able to be fixed by anyone that can turn a wrench. I can't see how they could sell hundreds of thousands of bikes for 8 years and suddenly they are death traps. If the officer knew the bike didn't handle well, why the hell was he pushing it in the first place? Doesn't make sense to me.