Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-20-2006, 05:20 AM   #91
bigdx
Founding Member

Default Re: 'Wobble' to Blame for Officer's Death?

Sweden has also just started changing for the better and started leaning towards the "red". I guess folks get tired having the state running their lives for them ...
bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-20-2006, 05:21 AM   #92
bigdx
Founding Member

Default Re: 'Wobble' to Blame for Officer's Death?

... and I suspect that is what the dealership is thinking too.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:09 AM   #93
lwatcdr
Founding Member

Default Re: Damning Evidence

More advanced technology than an HD? Any bike that uses an aluminum frame, variable valve timing, titanium connecting rods, anti-lock brakes, and or titanium valves.

So a Goldwing, most BMWs, VFRs, CBR1000s, ZX-10s, and many more.

I am not saying that more advanced is better. I am not even going to say that HDs make a bad choice for police motorcycles. I am going to say that yes there are more advanced bikes available than Harley Davidson sells to police forces and at least some of the technology is from long after the 1930s.

lwatcdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 02:21 PM   #94
bigdx
Founding Member

Default Re: Damning Evidence

"Any bike that uses an aluminum frame"

Chrome alloy is a later development than aluminum. HD is a couple of decade ahead on this one.

"variable valve timing"

I believe used by Mercedes in the 1950Â’s. Sure after 1930 but Â…

"titanium connecting rods" + "titanium valves"

Ditto. Titanium has been around since the 1950 too (I believe), definitely since 1960Â’s.

"anti-lock brakes"

Mmm, hardly modern though, at least 30 – 40 years old if not more?

Of course I can counter and say all HD use EFI, something Honda cannot say.

"I am going to say that yes there are more advanced bikes available than Harley Davidson sells to police forces and at least some of the technology is from long after the 1930s."

Swings both ways actually. Some may use different technology which has been highly refined because they have a requirement for it i.e. high horsepower from small CC.

Many of these "technologies" will serve no purpose in meeting the requirement for HD’s. Why in the world would I want titanium valves if I need a motor to peak out at 4000 – 4500 rpm? I think calling some thing old tech when it’s use in an application presents the best balance of performance/cost/reliability doesn’t make much sense to me.

Dual saddles are later development than single saddles, but I am sure you would agree that a single seat version of a 999 is no less advanced a dual seat version.

The only piece of tech that I think HD should get is antilock brakes.