Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-14-2006, 10:04 AM   #71
SmokeU
Registered Member

Default Re: OTHER CRITERIA BESIDES PRICE?

Chrysler's quality and selection of product has in my opinion improved greatly since the Germans acquired them.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-14-2006, 10:13 AM   #72
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: BMW vs Harley Police Motorcycle debate Revs Up in CO.

Seems like the best solution is neither bike i.e like SRMark says the ST1300 is a better bike allround. Its used in Europe quite a bit... I have see some police departments use ABS Gold Wings, which seems to be overkill at first glance. But Wing owners will swear by the machines agility and reliability. And good resale value.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:32 AM   #73
ksquid
Banned

"if Congress had decided to subsidize Boeing for an 380 equivalent" Whoa dude... Never heard that was ever considered (especially by in this Congress and administration) can you give me your source on that? Boeing hasn't received anything like that since the SST days... As far as defence projects Boeing bids against a number of companies for each and every project. Are there spinoffs from defence tech to commericial tech.. Sure but Airbus is jointly held by EADS (80%) and BAE Systems (20%), Europe's two largest defence contractors. In September 1967 the British, French and German governments signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to start development of the 300 seat Airbus A300. So Airbus has direct government support for a long long time...
Old 09-14-2006, 10:44 AM   #74
orcyclist
Founding Member

Harleys vs. BMW.

Umm, thatÂ’s a tractor vs. a motorcycle. Here in Oregon the motorcycle cops I know hate the Harleys and love the BMW's. Have not seen an ST1300 police bike, but I can bet they are better than the Harleys are.

All of this jingoistic "Buy American" might make sense if "American" were nearly as good. The taxpayer's money goes to maintain these bikes and the longer service life, better mileage and overall durability militates against the Harleys (which have substantial foreign made parts).

Maybe if people stopped buying the old tired technology pushed by Harleys maybe, just maybe they would be forced to make a modern motorcycle. The Koreans and the Chinese can do it, why not Harley? WHy, because there are still posers eout there who just must ride a Harley so they can be seen as "bad." Those are the guys I pass in the tiwisties on my BMW, my Yamaha or my Ducati. (Yes, I am saying that most of them can't ride to save themselves.)

Old 09-14-2006, 11:22 AM   #75
bbtowns
Founding Member

Here in a small suburb of Portland, OR the police just bought ST1300s after analyzing the Beemer, Harley and the Honda. The cop I spoke to said that the combination of incentives from Honda and a very close rider preference between the Honda and BMW tipped the scales. He did say heat radiation was a bit of a problem on very hot days, I thought they'd fixed that?
Old 09-14-2006, 11:30 AM   #76
ksquid
Banned

Yep here the King County Sheriff's Department and the WA State Patrol predominately ride new BMWs
Old 09-14-2006, 11:43 AM   #77
seruzawa
The Toad

Yeah. How dare Harley force people to buy their bikes? I'm glad the Harley goon squad hasn't shown up to force me to buy one yet.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:46 AM   #78
tomk2
Founding Member

Boeing has had plenty of success suckling off the taxpayer teat. Once in a while it backfires (crooked Air Force tanker lease deal) but in the end they get their share of pork.

K-Tom fearlessly predicts the gubmint will bail Boeing out on their failed Connexion investment

already lobbyists are dangling campaign $$$ in front of red state legislators to get the message across "maybe DoD could use that bandwidth for... ummm... for FIGHTING AL QUADA!!!"

well what the *****... what's a few billion more if it'll help win the great WAR ON TERRA? (tm) LOL
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 12:05 PM   #79
ksquid
Banned

Take out Boeing Exports out of the U.S. Export total and you have squat dude. Nothing but grain and potatoes are left.. You are so wrong...
Old 09-14-2006, 12:52 PM   #80
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

Default Re: OTHER CRITERIA BESIDES PRICE?

I bet you believe your vote matters too.
He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Kreb_Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote