Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-13-2006, 09:44 AM   #21
bigdx
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW vs Harley Police Motorcycle debate Revs Up in CO.

"I'd want the best for my taxpayer money"

Sure, so do I. And helping the American economy is better than helping the German/Japanese/etc economy no?

"and a Roadking just doesn't cut it for me when compared to an ST1300"

Maybe not for you, but the bike is not for you. The cops have requirements other than what you have. Low saddle height, loads of packing space, good parts availability, low/inexpensive maintenance etc. etc. Contrary to popular believe cops main requirement is not to give chase Â… a helicopter is better for that.

"Â…for less money."

Taxpayer money spent on an American product is cheaper than a lower price foreign product as the money goes to pay American who in turn pays tax again. You need to see the big picture here.

bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-13-2006, 09:47 AM   #22
bigdx
Founding Member

Default Re: OTHER CRITERIA BESIDES PRICE?

Sure, but when your job gets outsourced will you still be waving the global economy flag? Don't think so buddy.

And believe me, whatever you do for a living, there is some foreigner out there that will do a better job for less.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:12 AM   #23
seruzawa
The Toad

I'd figure that BMWs would be better for patrolling highways but that HDs would be better for urban patrolling.

Another consideration is the extreme wear that the clutches get under cop use. HD clutch jobs take an hour. BMW clutch jobs take all day. This might not be that big of a deal since they only have a few bikes.

Let the users decide. If HD doesn't like it they can build bikes that the cops want rather than play that stupid "buy American game".

Old 09-13-2006, 10:18 AM   #24
bigjames
Premium Member

Ok, unlike the rest of you, I own both, now and have for over 10 years. Listen to the voice of experience.

BMW's are insanely expensive to maintain, twins less so than the K. $500 min. for basic service. Harley's? Just change the fluids thank you. $250 for entire service (that is what I paid in Fairbanks, AK last year, not a a figure I pulled out of my a$$), that also includes a bunch of stuff most Harley riders ignore, because you can. Belts relatively cheap to replace (~$200 for belt, about same for labor, if you ride like a human, can get +70,000 out of a belt), rear drives +$1000 just for parts plus many hours of labor (been there done that, but you can get +100,000 out of a final drive if you ride like an adult. Unfortunatly, that is not a luxury cops have a lot of the time). You have to adjust valves on the BMW, not on the Harley. Ever replace the clutch on a Beemer? Step 1, break bike in half...many hours later you are done....on a Harley, remove cover, remove spring, remove clutch, put new plates in, put spring (a little more is involved, but not by much) and cover back on, done, may be an hour....ever hear of lubing splines? Beemer folks have (and Gold Wing and everyone else with a shaftee), Harleys? No, lube is what you do to wheel bearings.....and when you are done with the bike and want to sell it, well, let's just say their ain't much of a market for used Police BMW bikes, there is a HUGE market for used Harley cop bikes...I could go on and on.

A friend of mine bought a retired CHP Beemer recently, just cost him $3,500 at the local BMW shop, mainly for maintenance (and a rear end drive). Have had MANY friends buy used copy Harleys. Some needed major repairs that cost about that same figure, most, just continued to be ridden after a little tlc...

Longevity? My '88 HD has 190,000 miles on it, the last 50,000 hauling a sidecar, '03 HD has ~ 60,000, my BMW K has 100,000. My previous K had 95,000 when I sold it, my last twin had 50,000. Yeah, all newer motorcycles last and last...so that point is moot...

I ride and love both my Beemer and my Harleys. I know and accept that the BMW is more expensive to maintain, but don't really care, police departments have these things called budgets, they have to care. I personally have never understood, from a purely economic standpoint, why any department would by the Beemer over the Harley or the Harley over the now defunct Kawasaki (except for resale on that one).
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:23 AM   #25
seruzawa
The Toad

A lot of my friends have bought copy Harleys too. They're called Shadows, Stars, Vulcans, etc.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:37 AM   #26
fassettbd
Registered Member

I live in Colorado. Last year I was doing a bicycle event and CHP motorcycle officers were working the event, most on motorcycles. I noticed some of them were on Harleys and some on BMWs.

I went up to one of the cops and asked him how the department decided who got to ride what.

He answered that they had tried the BMWs, but were going back to the Harleys. He cited the durability/maintenance factors as deciding in favor of the Harleys (things like the rebuild time and cost). He also indicated the officers generally like the Harleys better, but that was mostly based on the same factors that divides the civilian wolrd.
fassettbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:40 AM   #27
bigjames
Premium Member

good one...need spell check on this thing!
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:00 AM   #28
bigdx
Founding Member

Cops also want to get laid ...
Old 09-13-2006, 11:03 AM   #29
bigdx
Founding Member

Not so stupid considering the Chinese and Japanese game called lets buy America Â… lock stock and barrel

Old 09-13-2006, 11:12 AM   #30
seruzawa
The Toad

Well, then you buy inferior schlock so that some fat lazy UAW employee can get a paycheck while staying at home and watching TV.

When Ford builds a car as well as a SubaruAWD for the same price I'll buy it. Otherwise they can fock off.