Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-14-2006, 02:27 PM   #91
bigdx
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW vs Harley Police Motorcycle debate Revs Up in CO.

Big picture boy ...

The HD corp give a lot of US folks jobs. That translates into local spending and local taxation.

Rice built offshore gives the US jack.
bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-14-2006, 02:52 PM   #92
ksquid
Banned

Default Whoa Dude Apples and Oranges

That's really high end audion stuff dude...thats like a buying exotic sports car like a Maserati...or a Ducati Desmosedici RR...
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 03:04 PM   #93
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Foreign manufacturors who sell bikes in America pay exactly as much corporate income tax into the U.S. Treasury as domestic manufactorers do. 35%. In practice, it's usually more because foreign makers don't have the write-offs a domestic maker does. This is a great economic incentive for foreign makers to build factories in the U.S. and thus establish some tax write-offs. Which factories, gee, they employ American workers, buy American supplies, etc. So either way, a foreign maker contributes as much to the American economy as a domestic maker does, either by paying more taxes (practically) or by building and employing here.

And that huge after tax income (profit) you're worried about. Don't lose any sleep, my friend, because while BMW is investing in the critically important North American market, H-D spends most of their profit investing in China these days.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:21 PM   #94
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default Re: Whoa Dude Apples and Oranges

But I think that's Kreb's point. We're moving to a knowledge-based economy. the guys who make the big bucks in America today are teh guys who Know Things. How to do taxes, or how to swap out major organs, or how to prevent their clients getting the shaft from either the government or some insurance corporation. And so on. Repetitive-task maual labor jobs suck. They're hard on the body and not real great for the continual mental development either. American guys Know This. That's why they demand all sorts of too-much-money and fringe bennies to do it. But when some chinaman begs for that kind of job, I say let him have it. Then he can be mentally stunted and bent over with arthritis, while the American ex-factory worker can get a knowledge-based job. Let asian workers unionize and drag their economy down for awhile. They'll have to come to American doctors to get their vertebrae fused and their discs un-bulged.

It used to be that 80% of the American population was rurally-based...farmers or herders. Now we have large green machines (and small brown people) to do that backbreaking crap for us, and we're making even more food. Today, about 2% of the American populace works on farms. And that's a Good Thing. It lets most Americans go to college, instead of working 18 hours per day to harvest the pumpkins and tabaccy, and has thus established the knowledge (tech) edge we enjoy today. If we were to return to an agrarian economy, we'd be screwed, and we'd deserve to be....This "off-shoring" of manufactoring jobs is just the next natural step in that process of staying ahead of the curve.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:38 PM   #95
ksquid
Banned

Default You are little behind the times dude

You are about 15 years behind the times dude. Offshoring is not just limited to manufactering jobs.. Grad student huh? What are you studying? Software Development is outsourced overseas. Even Hardcore aerospace engineering...Tax prep i.e HR Block type work... Even Medical work i.e. reading X-Rays and ultra-sounds. The only jobs that aren't are things like health-care, farming, real-estate, legal services (not yet), construction, food service etc. It's a global economy dude but you are clueless if you think the U.S. isn't in a real battle and we are way behind in education. As evidenced by your response... I am on the frontlines of technology and I can tell you the competition from India, Japan, China, Russia is smart, hungry and better educated than you and I...Many can write better than most U.S. college grads including myself.. Their math and science skills are fantastic. Many hold advanced degrees from schools in the U.S. Meanwhile the U.S. leaves every kid behind.. It's hard to find engineering grad from the U.S. that is as qualified as the competion from Asia. Pay attention to the massive debt we are rolling up, massive balance of trade deficits. How do you think things will equalize? i.e. this is test of your econ knowledge kid..
Old 09-14-2006, 03:39 PM   #96
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

I wonder if there's a geographical factor? I remember when BMW of Atlanta got the first contract to sell Beemers to Fulton County (ATL) sherriff's dep't. AFAIK, they are in negotiations to supply the Georgia Highway Patrol, maybe next year. But Georgia has a good amount of mountains. So does Cali, which I think has had Bemmers for the CHiPs for awhile now. But Kansas? No hills. Flat earthers. I'd bet they are more pro-Harley than the hilly/mountainous states.

I've owned two H-Ds, and a BMW, and for flat earth, I'd take my old Road King...the same Road King on which I had to replace the floorboards from grinding them off around Suches, GA.

I dunno. Just a thought.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:47 PM   #97
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: Whoa Dude Apples and Oranges

'That we're NO LONGER ON TOP! We can't compete with the prices of foreign workers and we shouldn't try. We're executive management." Read this again slowly and think about what he is really saying...

hint sarcasm is used here.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:45 PM   #98
ksquid
Banned

Georgia has Mountains? Lots of Hills maybe... But you make a good point. Colorado has over 50 14,000 ft. mountains and 25 ski resorts... which makes it the Switzerland of the U.S. sorry UT, CA and WA but you just don't have as many. Being a Colorado Native I can say that in ski towns. Subarus, Saabs, Volvos, and the omnipreset Mercedes, BMW, and domestic SUVs are popular. In the metro areas like Denver, Bouder and Colorado Springs domestic are more popular but Japanese makes make a good share of the vechicles. Not like the West Coast where it seems like most cars are Japanese or Korean.

GJ isn't a ski town, it has a small college, believe or not some fruit growers (peaches, apples mostly), and is kind of the center of the what is called the Western Slope (a series of river valleys of the contintental divide that drain into the Pacific Ocean via the Colordo River) GJ probably has the same share of foreign makes as Denver.. maybe a few more domestics.. I don't think you would see a strong bias either way to be honest thus the debate.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:07 PM   #99
bigdx
Founding Member

Default The question was

"If this country actually starts manufacturing good DVD players then you know what that's evidence of?"

Obviously Kreb is the same ignorant mother f*cking a$$hole you are. US builds the best. The very best. No ifs, no buts, no maybes.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:12 PM   #100
bigdx
Founding Member

Default I always said liberals werenÂ’t Americans

And IÂ’ve always been right (no pun intended here). The US builds the best. Always have, always will. The leftwing monkeys consider the ***** the Japs feed them to be good.

I wouldnÂ’t ***** on a liberal even if he was on fire.