Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-02-2006, 12:25 PM   #1
SuperBill
Founding Member

Default Re: Balanced Story Regarding Motorcyle Accidents?

Excellent. There's one more overweight fiftysomething Harley poseur off the road. One down, a zillion to go.

Wonder why he kept the bike. Maybe he kept the riding costume as well (logo-festooned jacket, black tee-shirt, doo-rag, fringed chaps) so he can dress up as a "biker" at Halloween!

Anyway, other than the opening paragraphs, the article wasn't that bad. Wish we could see more of the same pointing out that the cagers are a big part of the problem.

SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2006, 01:06 PM   #2
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Being an ass seems so easy to you.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 04:11 PM   #3
smithrob75
Founding Member

Don't worry, Harley rider still have it covered in the a**hole dept. I don't think they'll be overtaken anytime soon. I've even heard that's part of the agrement when you buy a Harley, you cannot wave and must be an ass to all that you meet.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:07 PM   #4
ksquid
Banned

On a recent workday in Seattle, there was two fatal wreck involving motorcycles. Both involved 700 lb Harleys and 50+ riders. Since this summer has been dry the number of motorcycle riders commuting to work has increased dramatically. It seemed for awhile there was an motorcycle accident every day for awhile. I travel 62 miles a day on the two most congested freeways in Seattle, 5 days a week. Every motorcycle accident I have seen this summer has involved a cruiser and a 50+ year old rider. I have not seen one sportbike down. I have seen an increase of young sportbike riders. These kids ride fast and agressive but I haven't seen one of them down.. I think there is something to the superior reaction time theory of young riders and of course kpaul's own theory that says the safest bike is the modern sportbike.

kpaul's theory is that because cruisers are such dogs (heavy and non-agile), cruisers are sitting ducks for commuting.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 05:41 PM   #5
Fenton
Founding Member

You just couldn't wait to post that could you? I got another scenario for you; how about we assume those driver that don't pay attention also buy motorcycles. While I do think riding a bike helps with driving skills, I refuse to believe many drivers/riders continue to practice basics or seek advanced instruction.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 06:09 PM   #6
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

I think a lot of the +50 cruiser types may be a lot less experienced than they think they are. And older guy can delude himself into thinking he's better than he is--it just takes him longer to talk himself into it. Reactions may be a bit slower, but the real killer on motorcycles is judgement. You have to realize that you have chosen a sport that is inherently dangerous. You cannot kid yourself about that. People don't see you. You can disappear into someone's "blind spot" and stay there a lot longer than a car, just because you're smaller. I ride, and I've lost track of motorcycles myself--it just goes with the territory. The prudent man considers himself invisible, and rides in the part of the lane where he can be seen the most. Most of us who have been riding a while know this, but to a lot of guys who rode a little when they were kids, then came back to the sport when the kids were out of the house and they had a few bucks to spare may not realize how many different ways there are to get yourself in trouble. By the way, Squid, on a trip to BC many years ago, all the people in Portland seemed to think we should be extra careful in Washington, because 'they all drive like idiots' When we were leaving Vancouver (BC) coming back to the states, they were all saying to watch out for those 'nuts in Washington' I think they were talking about the state. Is it still like that up there?
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 07:20 PM   #7
ksquid
Banned

Hmmm.. I actually think WA drivers are actually more polite than CA, CO, TX, and FL . i.e the other places I have lived... OR folks are probably overwelmed with Seattle traffic. Everytime I go to Portland I think wow nice little city... I think its a matter of scale. Compared to OR ...WA seems probably nutty.. But to me compared to CA ...WA is tame..Everytime I go down to SoCal and see the lanesplitters I think wow this is a different league..

I think you are spot on your analysis. I ride to a old drive in (has car shows ever weekend) ever other weekend to meet some friends to go riding. Each time we go there we see 50ish guys riding cruisers who have a hard time negotiating the parking lot.. Some of these guys are way overweight etc. Just think their bikes are at least 300 lbs heavier than mine..
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 07:32 PM   #8
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Seems as though someone else has struck a nerve with you electraglider. Are you fifty something and relatively inexperienced? I'm fifty something and have owned Harleys in the past, but I also shake my head in dismay at the amount of people my age to which a motorcycle is a newly acquired life-style affectation.
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 02:28 AM   #9
SuperBill
Founding Member

Default It is, but.....

Surely you donÂ’t think I talking about you, electraglider. Maybe I should have capitalized the word POSEUR in my post.

From what IÂ’ve seen, everyone on this forum is passionate about motorcycles. Passionate about their Harleys, Ninjas, Airhead BMWÂ’s, whatever. Many of us seem to have more than one brand of bike. Most of us seem to have a long-standing love affair with all things motorcycle. The pool of technical expertise among us is amazing. CanÂ’t say that IÂ’ve seen evidence of a POSEUR among us.

Now, compare your typical MO subscriber with Kubitz. He is a software company CEO that rode motorcycles "as a kid," but apparently took a 30-year break while he was making his fortune. In 2000, he plunks down $15,000+ for motorcycle that he rode 1918 miles over the next four years. I’m guessing he took exactly zero rider training, and probably never bothered to get the M/C endorsement on his license. One close call and he parks –but doesn’t sell - his motorcycle.

Does this sound like a guy that is passionate about motorcycling? Or does it sound like all those people we both know that finally get the kids off to college, cruise into the local Harley boutique, buy a bike and a costume to match, have the dealer install $5,000 worth of chrome and straight pipes, and then commence to tell everyone they know all abut the Harley "lifestyle."

IÂ’m guessing these guys annoy you more than they do me!

SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 03:34 AM   #10
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Casual Riders

Motorcycle ownership my be up in Arizona, but I ride everyday to work here and don't see many more riders out actually riding their bikes on a day to day basis.

What I see is a whole lot of weekend casual riders that ride once in a great while like once a month on weekends.

It's no wonder their accident avoidance skills are somewhat lacking.
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote