Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-04-2006, 11:19 AM   #51
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Default Re: Balanced Story Regarding Motorcyle Accidents?

Deal's gap that thing where the fat boy forgot to follow the road on that video? Rossi could probably take me on that road, riding anything but a Gold Wing, but someone as good, or even slightly better than me? I would be ashamed to lose to a sportster on a road like that. They are the best handling true Harley, but that isn't really saying much.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2006, 11:31 AM   #52
ksquid
Banned

Default Be logical please

Come on think about this logically. In the hands of someone like Tommy Hayden do think a Ninja would stop in a shorter distance than a Mean Streak. The test that you are crowing about was done by some GPTBs that work for "independent" MCN. These guys are more comfrontable with the foot forward riding style especially under heavy breaking . i.e. they are more adapt to squeeze the front brake harder on a cruiser than a sportbike...
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 11:34 AM   #53
ksquid
Banned

You forgot the chick with the halter top clinging to the rider on the pillion...If my daughter ever did that she would be so grounded.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:03 PM   #54
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Be logical please

You, of course can list the names of these "GPTBs" and in some fashion prove that their data is false.

Hell, all of your opinions are entirely based on reading magazines. Cripes, what a joke!

Kpaul's universe is definitely an Irony Free Zone.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:31 PM   #55
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

And, by the way, I'm not a "primo rider" I'm merely competant. I went directly from an old style tubular frame, with flexy forks and skinny 19" tires to, what was to me a new age with a modern frame, contemparary forks and them tires, them tires, man! The new 17 inchers are soooo much better than the old stuff that it's just ridiculous. A man with a death wish is always going to over ride and that kind of individual, even Rossi would probably leave to go on ahead. You can only go so fast on public roads without living on borrowed time. I have been riding for 40 years. In that time, I have never, EVER been passed by any kind of Harley, unless you count Buells. What is your point anyway? I was the guy saying that I thought the key element in the increased death rate was old guys coming back to the sport with a huge gap in their experience. I don't know that cruisers are any safer or more dangerous than any other bike. My point is, they are not meant for going fast, and will show their limitations very quickly is pressed. Idon't know much about the new Sportsters, I'm guessing they're more reliable, and they have more reasonable fork geometry all that, but I have yet to encounter on that was going very fast. I'm sure the people riding them are having just as much fun as I am, but the couple I have encountered that didn't want to be passed have dragged all kinds of stuff and made for pretty entertaining viewing while I waited for a place to pass them. They're just not meant to do what those guys were trying to make them do. Can we all just be friends now?
Old 09-04-2006, 12:43 PM   #56
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

You know, I think you're absolutely right. Riding is a dangerous activity, and if you find that you've got too many other things in life that you enjoy, and you feel a little knot of fear in your belly, then quitting is the right thing to do, and you shouldn't have to apologize to anyone. My brother used to do a lot of rock climbing, even some free climbing, but when his daughter was born, he found himself at times asking himself 'what the hell are you doing? You've got a wife and kids depending on you' and he quit.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:57 PM   #57
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Default Re: Casual Riders

Yeah, I haven't ridden much in the last month, due to a new grandchild, a wedding and a couple of other family 'madatory fomations' as we used to say in the army. I can tell my timing is off. I need to ride a day or two to get back up to speed. We have two pretty bad roads here in the Napa area, Dry Creek Road, and the Monticello road, heading to Lake Berryessa, East of here. They are full of potholes cracks, blind, off camber curves, little mudslides, and much of the year, spots that are nearly always wet. If I can, I will ride one of those roads at a reasonably prudent speed until I can feel my chops coming back. One of the first things to go away appears to be feel in a panic stop, so sometimes I'll try squeezing the right handle until the front wheel gets funny, just in case I need to do it after hooking up with my friends. We always seem to ride a little faster when we're with each other, not so much out of competitiveness (We're all old guys, and have nothing to prove to each other) but because we've got help I we do wad one of our bikes up. If you just ride weekends, you might want to find a 'workout' road in your area and give your reflexes a chance to get up to speed before hauling ass.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:18 PM   #58
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Default Re: One more (watch it and weep)

Look like some pretty good roads. When you can see how the corner is going to turn out, like you can with most of these, you can dive in pretty hard. I guess you know not to get too close to the centerline on blind left handers. I almost got decaptitated that way by a guy who went a little wide going the other way.

This has got Fenton and I talking about some of the roads here in Norcal, which I think, all things considered, are about as good as any to be found. If we can figure out a way to get it on digital, and upload it, we'll show you what we do for fun down here.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:49 PM   #59
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

No. Because everybody here is an Enema.........

;^D
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 05:05 PM   #60
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Default Re: Be logical please

I cannot believe that you as an engineer think that a sportbike can stop quicker than a cruiser (all other things being equal - brakepads, disc swept-surface, tires). Put a sticky tire on the front of your average cruiser, and anyone that can use a protractor, a scale, and can do a bit of calculus can see that with the lower center-of-gravity, headstock rake angles, and amount of trail, - the cruiser has the distinct advantage in stopping ability.

That said, your average cruiser rider was most-likely taught by his "good buddies" to "Stay away from that there front brake - it'll throw you over the handlebars!" (On a Cruiser?) If you told me that it might smash my nuts against the tank, I might be more inclined to believe you.

Or the ever popular "You're gonna have to learn to lay-er-down to save it!" (??? How can one "save it" when one just crashed it on purpose?)

I swear, I have heard both of these from no less than 5 different "riders". Two of them I worked with for nearly 11 years.

When I left for this job, I think I had *nearly* convinced one of them that the front brake was OK to use, especially in a panic-stop. I was still working on that "counter-steering thing" with the both of them, but I had one of them at least accepting that I wasn't bug-fxin' nuts.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote