Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-03-2006, 07:56 AM   #21
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: Balanced Story Regarding Motorcyle Accidents?

LOL I agree Reminds me of when my brother-in-law and I stopped off at a HD boutique (dealership) to look at Buells, As I got off the Ninja and he off his Honda we felt the look of disgust of the GPTB. As we headed for the door some guy said to us "Come to trade you minibikes for real bikes?" My brother-in-law is real quick said "No we came to see if they still leaked oil" ....
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-03-2006, 08:01 AM   #22
Buzglyd
Founding Member

100 miles a weekend? You're really wearing that thing out!

A good Saturday or Sunday ride has to be 250-400 miles to be worth it. If I can do 400-600 mile days on my Ducati, a supreme being such as yourself could do at least 250.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 10:20 AM   #23
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Well, they do apparently, still leak oil. I stopped-in to the local NEW (one week ago grand opening) Harley/Buell dealer yesterday.

(Pigtrail Harley-Davidson/Buell in Rogers, AR - not named after the bikes; but rather the curvy highway south of Fayetteville, AR going to I-40 know as "The Pig Trail" [AR has The Razorback as its College Mascot])

While I wasn't treated strangely by any of the salesmooks, I did get a few weird stares from the badass/accountant types. So, I parked my Filthy FZ6 right in the middle of all of 'em, and walked in to check out the Uly's in the showroom (they had 4 - plus one slightly-used XB12 Firebolt).

When I came back out, all the Harleys I was in the middle-of were gone. Must've thought they'd catch a reliability virus from it or something (over 30k miles, and it's JUST NOW in need of a chain - that's the sum-total of problems I've had, mechanically). I took a look at all the (Motorcycle-Only) parking, (about 50-60 spaces - no $hit!) and couldn't HELP but notice about 75% of them had places where *somebodies* bike had "marked its spot", INCLUDING the one I was parked, plus the next 3 or 4 on each side of me. (week-old dealer, remember!)

Now that THAT is out of the way, I have to comment on the dealership and the Buells.

First off - very nicely done showroom. Harley-branded EVERYTHING (but I expected no less). I'm told there is 48,000 sq. ft. of Showroom in this Dealership, about 35,000ft is dedicated to appparel and accessories (Harley certainly knows where its bread-and-butter comes from!).

Buell, instead of being stuck in the back corner - they were actually up front by the entrance. It was the Sportsters that were relegated to the back. Of the Harleys, I'd say there were 120-135 of those total, inside and outside; including 6 V-Rods, and 7 or 8 Custom Choppaz, only about 2/3 of them "current iron" - there was a Pan, at least one Knuck, and a few others I didn't pay enough attention to in order to identify the engine.

So far as the Buells were concerned (what I was REALLY there to see!). I must say - Eric Buell has certainly engineered some very clever solutions to the problems inherent in an air-cooled sportbike engine. Overall, very well-done. Many strong, light-looking extruded parts for brackets, structural pieces, little widgets here and there. Clever details everywhere. The only place that looks cheap as dirt: The handlebar switchgear. It's plastic on every bike out there, no matter the expense of it - but this stuff *LOOKS* cheap and plasticky. Switches are small, and resemble the afterthought-like stuff you used to see on enduro-bikes from Kawasaki in the early/mid-'80s. In fact, might even BE from them.

That's it, without a ride (I was pressed for time, not enough time to beg-off a ride on one), that's the ONLY complaint I could come up with on a closeup examination.

I'd ridden an XB-9 a couple of years ago for a "spin around the block", but I don't remember anything of it other than the feeling of "quick and agile", and the thing shook like a paint-shaker at idle. This is the first time I got to crawl around and actually look the Buells over thorough-like.

Yesterday's experience coupled with my fairly fallable mem'ry; I think I could probably stand to ride one of the Uly's, if I could come up with the $12K one would need to gain entrance to the "club". I seemed to be the only person there taking the bikes seriously though, not even the salesmooks paid the bikes much attention. I crawled around them for 20minutes, only one person offered to help find me someone who could help me with them (?), versus I had every salesmook in sight offered to help me with the cruisers when I was walking through that section and checking-out the bikes.

Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 10:24 AM   #24
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

This is pretty-much the very theory I have. Two "groups" that have similar, non-attentive habits when on the road - combine them, and you have a recipe for a Dead Motorcyclist ('cuz a Moto loses in a contest of might with even the smallest car).
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 12:02 PM   #25
Fenton
Founding Member

400-600 and be able to post at 11am; that's what I'm talking about.

So is the 100 miles, 50 out spend the night, 50 home the next day?
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 03:29 PM   #26
MadScientistMatt
Founding Member

Default 4 years, 1,918 miles

Good catch on the mileage - that guy seems to ride less in a year than most members of this forum ride in a month.
MadScientistMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 04:18 PM   #27
ksquid
Banned

Actually its 120 miles, I clocked for yall today. It

s not the quantity rather it's the quality, Most of the roads have 45 speed limit 25 mph recomended curves which I take at 50 of course. In fact to get into the club you must ride twice the recomended speed limit in the corners. Frankly I think longride would chicken out cause its hard to practice on cloverleaf exit and entrance ramps in Chicago i.e that's the only curves of significance I saw when I worked in Lincolnshire for a few months...Flat and straight is the typical roadway in the Windy City.. My superior strength and cat like reflexs would be no match for the GPTB member longride.. Also you can only practice right-hand curves on the cloverleafs in Chicago.....Also they tend to be highly on camber. My "practice loop" has several corkscrews, hairpins, sweepers, sesses, chicanes, off camber, on camber, increasing radius, decreasing radius, etc. Buz, I suspect your miles are mostly freeway trying to get out of vast urban spawl that is SoCal
Old 09-03-2006, 04:22 PM   #28
ksquid
Banned

"I seemed to be the only person there taking the bikes seriously though, not even the salesmooks paid the bikes much attention. I crawled around them for 20minutes, only one person offered to help find me someone who could help me with them (?), versus I had every salesmook in sight offered to help me with the cruisers when I was walking through that section and checking-out the bikes." Same thing happened to us.. i.e when we went to look at the FXs two sales "associates" came and double teamed us... Proabably the high markup of the retail price and possible double sticker are the sale folks wet dream...
Old 09-03-2006, 04:53 PM   #29
ksquid
Banned

Default Video example of kpaul's training loop i.e. right out my backdoor

Click here if you dare
Old 09-03-2006, 04:59 PM   #30
ksquid
Banned

Default One more (watch it and weep)

CLICK HERE