Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-03-2006, 04:24 AM   #11
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Balanced Story Regarding Motorcyle Accidents?

"Every motorcycle accident I have seen this summer has involved a cruiser and a 50+ year old rider. I have not seen one sportbike down. "

So I guess that means that only 50+ year old riders crash and nobody on a sportbike ever crashes. Would that be correct? Please spare us your bullshyt for about 5 minutes and get back to reality. Hell, you don't even ride a motorcycle anywhere, so your chances of crashing is zero. A good rider on one of those slow, heavy bad-handling cruisers would hand you your ass on any twisty road you could pick. I'd bet everything I have on it. I think we could prove it easily if you have the guts to show everyone what you got.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-03-2006, 04:59 AM   #12
giuliom
Registered Member

Default Re: Casual Riders

Exactly! Motorcycle riding does require skills and habits that are lacking if you can only ride once a month or so. Can you handle a panic stop if you ride about 2000 miles a year? Maybe, but I ride ca. 1000+ a month both in traffic and up the canyons, and I know I have a feel for the way my bike handles and reacts. I also know how to scan traffic, react to small cues from motorists, etc.

BTW, the British actor who plays House on TV (it's a medical type show) says that since he moved to SoCal he rides his Triumph everywhere and he cannot believe that everyone isn't riding to work with the weather we have. It points out one difference with Europe, where a bike IS basic transportation, not just something you ride once a month.
giuliom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 06:08 AM   #13
Buzglyd
Founding Member

This "analysis" from a guy who claims everyone was asleep in statistics class.

KP give us that Indian analogy you always trot out after anechdotal information.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 06:21 AM   #14
Whatmough
Founding Member

I have a friend who had a close call on a 999 Duc and sold it, afterward. He had a Ninja 9 and many years on & off the track. If you aren't comfortable riding then logic dictates you shouldn't ride, whether you have loads of riding experience or very little. Deaths will rise with the increase in number of riders, it's a simple equation. You can however reduce your chances of an accident and your survival probabiltiy. It's a question of what are you willing to do to increase the good and reduce the bad. It'a all up to you.
Whatmough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 06:48 AM   #15
bdcrow00
Registered Member

I grew up in SoCal riding full time for 6+ yrs, 150k+ miles. I recently returned and bought a cycle-tool appropriate to the task. Given the fact that the freeways here seriously resemble video games, the old guy / cruiser combo is a recipe for disaster.

I bought a KTM Duke; 300 lbs and 60+ horsepower, able to leap curbs and speedbumps with a single bound.

A scapel, not a butter knife, is what's needed to give one a fighting chance.
bdcrow00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 07:29 AM   #16
ksquid
Banned

I love to get you guys pumped up. As W would say "Mission Accomplished!". As you know, longride we have had this discussion before. This summer I have been riding 100 miles a weekend. Remember I have beautiful twisty, hilly, evergreen lined roads just a few miles from my house. Ever kpaul beautful WA state mile = 100 longride flat, straight Chicago miles.. So yes I'll take that challenge. Next summer I'll make the trip to MO World HQ and we can settle this. I would gladly do it now but I am in a new job, managing a new group, etc. So as FoxNews Bill O'Really would say "What say you?"
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 07:30 AM   #17
ksquid
Banned

Excellent Post.. Well Said
Old 09-03-2006, 07:33 AM   #18
ksquid
Banned

"Can you handle a panic stop if you ride about 2000 miles a year? Maybe, but I ride ca. 1000+ a month both in traffic and up the canyons, and I know I have a feel for the way my bike handles and reacts. "

Excellent point. I ride 100 miles a week on the weekend..I know I am rusty in panic stops compared from when I used to commute to work everyday.. To me if anyone on MO is expert in commuting you have the numbers to be that person..
Old 09-03-2006, 07:45 AM   #19
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: It is, but.....

Nicely done. I agree the typical MO subscriber is not what you are talking about. Every weekend you can go to nay HD dealer and see the folks you are talking about. Well said.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:49 AM   #20
ksquid
Banned

Excellent Points. I was going to paint my bike black from yellow. My buddy who has a black big Triumph Daytona said since he bought his bright hi-vis yellow vest he has reduced his close calls. He showed me some pictures of him riding in shady areas with the vest vs without. It was pretty telling. Excellent Post.