Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 09-05-2006, 10:21 AM   #91
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: Excellent Point

LOL good one... Yep adrenaline is a good thing..

Thanks for the excellent explanation...
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2006, 10:25 AM   #92
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Flat Earth for Dummies

You'd think that such a genius of an engineer would know that a heavier mass gives more friction to the ground. Therefore any increased mass that you are trying to stop is cancelled out by the greater friction that same mass generates. The equations are quite clear on this. Twice the mass = twice the friction... both static and kinetic..... whoops....better stop here.... don't want to confuse any geniuses from Boeing who were asleep during basic physics.....

Old 09-05-2006, 10:29 AM   #93
bmwdude
Founding Member

Default Re: Balanced Story Regarding Motorcyle Accidents?

Re: "I have to avoid some cager trying to kill me....... "

I know, and to me the truly maddening thing is, they don't see anything wrong with their driving habits.

IMHO, all we are left to do as riders is to take our own safety more seriously. Granted we will never be completely safe. Heck, what about motorcycling is "safe"?

All we can do is wear the gear, ride defensively and practice practice practice our riding skills.

I may get laughed off the forum for saying this, but I think track days are one of the best places on earth to learn riding skills. Track days allow us to actually experience our bikes doing what they do in emergency situations. We can talk about things like braking at the machines limits and avoidance techniques all we want, but the only way to truly learn is by doing. The track is the place for this. Also, for the cruiser folks among us, I know mid Ohio is starting to offer track days for you as well. Perhaps other tracks will do the same?
bmwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:35 AM   #94
ksquid
Banned

Yes it is true in the classical block on inclined plane model friction is proportional to the normal force i.e weight/mass of the object * cosine of the angle of the plane. However since we are talking about a block on wheels already moving we are dealing with rolling resistance/friction given your logic a semi would stop quicker than a minibike... you are so good serasuzy.. I think in this case the difference in rolling resistance is neglible. i.e. I threw it out...I think Buz's point is far more plausible...
Old 09-05-2006, 10:40 AM   #95
Tadgh
Registered Member

hey was that not my point at the start? that the cruiser could apply more braking force due to its weight ?

my point was that although it could do it once or twice eventually the brake components being inferior would heat to the point of brake fade and then deliver inferior performance...

something that even happens on a track day or race you can feel the brake fade til you can bring the lever back to the bar with no problem....

Tadgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:07 AM   #96
seruzawa
The Toad

Yes, you were quite correct. There's one person here though who has difficulty with simple concepts and has to be beaten half to death before reality sinks in.

The original discussion centered on accidents caused by cagers. In street riding the brakes are seldom loaded to the point of fading. So in this case the superior heat dissipation of the sportbike's brakes wouldn't come into play. In street riding the sportbike really doesn't have any braking advantage and in some cases may be at a disadvantage. worse, the mistaken idea that sportbike brakes give substantially shorter stopping distances might encourage riders to take serious risks they would never consider while riding soemthing else.

Anyhow, some people are at serious risk of death due to incompetence no matter how good their brakes and tires are.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:23 AM   #97
ksquid
Banned

Default One last try..

Yes it is true a heaver vechicle given the same tires will have more traction. However it will also take more force to stop a heaver vechicle. So in theory if the brakes are matched to a heavy bike accordingly it could stop faster than a light bike with inadequate brakes. I don't think that is the case with modern sportbikes. i.e I think the force produced at the wheel by my ninja's brakesis more than the average cruiser's brakes. In addition the stickiness of tires and lighter weight should give the sportsbike a clear advantage. There is a debate on ABS. My feeling is the average rider could use ABS and stop shorter..
Old 09-05-2006, 11:24 AM   #98
Tadgh
Registered Member

yup you cant design stupidity out of the system no matter how hard you try
Old 09-05-2006, 11:35 AM   #99
Tadgh
Registered Member

Default Re: Bike most likely to be in an accident 1. GSXR, 2. TLR, 3. ZX-6, 4. CBR, 5. YZF-R

hey just out of interest how many (number) of tlrs have accidents ?

i dont see that many of them around anymore..maybe they are all crashed ..but did they ever sell in big numbers ? they never did in europe...

thought they all head shook themselves into the nearest ditches/fences/stationary objects..
Old 09-05-2006, 11:45 AM   #100
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Balanced Story Regarding Motorcyle Accidents?

I'm friends with everyone. I was just asking some questions, and not slamming you in the least.