Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 08-18-2006, 09:11 AM   #1
gonevifferin
Founding Member

Default Re: Surprising Turn In CA Helmet Battle.

MY FIRST "FIRST POST", I've only got one head so I'll keep my lid on. Nobody ever PLANS to fall.
gonevifferin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-18-2006, 09:19 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Oh, goody. Another helmet thread.

Gotta hand it to Quigley, though. This is a pretty clever way to stick it the eyes of the safety nazis. And he actually found a judge in Kalifornia who evaluated a law based on what it said rather than what the judge thought the law should be. Pretty amazing.

It's pretty funny when someone who is dumb enough to ride without a helmet is still smarter than the clowns who wrote the helmet law.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:23 AM   #3
nesbit
Founding Member

While I support, in theory, Mr. Quigley's quest, I wish he had spent more of his time and energy taking care of his health.
nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 10:19 AM   #4
bigdx
Founding Member

"Quigley has stage 4 lymphoma. Doctors gave him five months to live. "

I would say wearing a helmet is somewhat redundent for Quigley
bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 10:30 AM   #5
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Judge Barton wrote: "The CHP is the only State agency authorized by the statutes to adopt reasonable regulations establishing specifications and standards for motorcycle safety helmet. The CHP's failure to adopt such regulations, and make them available to the public, has rendered the helmet law statutes void for vagueness as applied.

It is a shame that the judge relied on the vagueness of the law instead of just saying that the state has no business interfering with an individualÂ’s right to make decisions about his own safety.
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 11:25 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Making that ruling would require the elimination of about 80% of the State budget. Where would all those lazy freeloaders on govt paychecks find work? Have a heart!

Just having judges interpret law as it's written rather than according to some personal belief system is at least a step in the right direction.

Old 08-18-2006, 11:41 AM   #7
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: They call me Mr. Danger

Just got back from picking up a script at Kaiser in Hollywood. Wore my camo shorts, t-shirt and non-dot approved helmet. The flip-flops were replaced this time with Adidas Stan Smiths.

Made it back just fine. No broken bones or a fractured skull. Of course I was riding like death itself was right around the next corner.

Let those who ride decide. I think Mr. Smith and I can agree on that...
Old 08-18-2006, 11:53 AM   #8
SuperBill
Founding Member

The result is good, and God bless Quigley for his civil disobedience, but it won’t take CHP long to take the vague out of it. Here, I’ll do it for ‘em:

"All operators and passengers on motorcycles operated on public roads shall wear helmets certified by the manufacturer to meet United States Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 218 for motorcycle helmets. The outside back of all such helmets shall bear the letters "DOT" as originally applied by the manufacturer of the helmet."

Case closed, and California can go back to protecting law-abiding citizens from themselves.

Commies!

SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 12:27 PM   #9
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

My God, I find myself agreeing with Seruzawa! I guess I'll have to check myself in somewhere and get fixed.

I can't but think of something some redneck once told me, talking about self destructive behavior in general. "It's your mouth. You can haul coal in it, for all I care."
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 12:36 PM   #10
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

For a Bush lover you actually made sense. That in itself gives you some hope.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote