Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 08-09-2006, 06:34 AM   #1
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: 'Sayonara, Hayabusa', says ESPN Writer.

Hope the legislators take Easterbrook's Corvette penis extension too.

Foist!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2006, 06:36 AM   #2
pplassm
Founding Member

Oof. The guy's a senior editor of the "New Republic". Big surprise.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:50 AM   #3
NLJ
Founding Member

His ingorant views are held by a vast majority of the populous. And untill idiot 20 somethings quit doing wheelies and endo's on the public streets this won't change. It's sucks but that's just what it is.
NLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 06:51 AM   #4
minglet
Registered Member

As an owner of a Hayabusa and a number of sport bikes including track bikes this is nothing surprising. This guy lacks the skills and knowledge necessary to operate a motorcycle and probably feels threatened and a little bit jealous. His line of thinking has been the typical method leading to limits on freedom throughout the history of mankind and ought to be fought against vigorously. And to think that the company that builds his glorious Vette will likely be bought and owned by the very Japanese companies that build the motorcycles he so despises. Perhaps they will create an even faster 6 cylinder bike called the Vettebusa!
minglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 06:52 AM   #5
Tigercub
Founding Member

...it took me a while to get past the calender...

I think the ESPN writer of 'Sayonara, Hayabusa', is just concerned about our safety. He doesn't mind if our little 600 sport bikes...

"...drag-race from stoplights, cut others off in traffic, speed like mad. Perhaps you've been on a highway when a couple colorful high-performance bikes have roared past you at far over the speed limit. The people on the bikes may be morons, which is their problem..."

...and for that he should be more clear.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 06:55 AM   #6
jimmyr
Registered Member

Okay, here's what I sent to that guy:

Facinating comments on fast sport bikes. I agree they're dangerous...all motorcycles are. Anytime you're riding on a motorized rail down a highway, you could end up dead. But by choice, I ride every chance I get.

Your call to ban all sport bikes, however, is patently ridiculous. You need to take a bit of a physics class; your Ford Fusion sedan (which I am sure you own, since you are so anti-performance) has the potential for much more destruction at 60 mph than a sport bike at double that speed, due to the mass involved. If you argue for banning all sport bikes, then you must call for banning all performance automobiles as well. You may want to watch yourself, though; you'll ***** off one of your sponsors, Toyota.

Some people will be dangerous driving anything; some people are just plain careless. Lots of people where I live are into guns, too. Don't give me that cop-out of motorcycles not being in the Constitution.

But that's okay...hang on long enough and you'll probably get your wish. I found it funny that you also talked about George Orwell later on in your column. We are moving in that direction, with help from people like you. When "they" come for YOUR favorite mode of life-enjoyment, just remember that.

Jimmy Rusidoff

Oh, and please feel free to quote me, like I trust you not to twist anything or quote me out of context.
jimmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 06:56 AM   #7
iamz
Founding Member

For the most part, I agree with him. Those bikes are stupid fast and not wearing a helmet is stupid. That said, where I disagree with him, is on the need for more regulation. Just pull over and ticket/arrest the offenders. Everythings working fine as it is right now.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 06:59 AM   #8
iamz
Founding Member

Let me add this; A lot of bikes are stupid fast and not wearing a helmet is stupid.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:00 AM   #9
bigdx
Founding Member

Not sure what he said that makes you say he is ignorant. The article is on point and (fairly) accurate.
bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:11 AM   #10
bigdx
Founding Member

Default Which views he expressed are ignorant?

"His ingorant views are held by a vast majority of the populous"

Which views he expressed are ignorant? That he doesnÂ’t feel you need to have access to a 200mph capable vehicle for use on public roads? Seems a very sensible view to me.

bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote