Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 08-09-2006, 04:23 PM   #71
rapier
Founding Member

Default Re: 'Sayonara, Hayabusa', says ESPN Writer.

Easterbrook also writes about science and doesn't know much about it. Writes about the entertainment industry and is pretty dumb about that too. http://beldar.blogs.com/beldarblog/2...brook_is_.html

He writes a huge amount on things he doesn't know a lot about but except for the little dust up linked to above it has served him well for within his seeming irreverance and pretense of coolness he is a transmitter of the conventional wisdom as held by the Republican political establishment. Like most all you hear and read it is meant to manufacture consensus.

It's not news that most people are more than happy to hate sport bikers for a few minuets in response to an invitation from the likes of Easterbrook to do so. That said, it doesn't really mean a thing. No draconican laws against bikes are going to comed down the chute. It was just a throw away comment meant to stir the pot. Wrtint him in protest is beyond futile.

rapier is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2006, 04:40 PM   #72
DC_Dave
Founding Member

Default Ninja Deal Machines (NDM)

The problem may not be "max performance" bikes as much as the emergence of the outlaw sportbiker crowd. Police have no way to stop the behavior, and it's this inability to police the roads that may lead to legislation against the dreaded Ninja Death Machine.

Case in point-- I was coming home from a 700 mile ride this past Sunday when a gang (?!) of sportbikers passed me on the highway in heavy traffic just outside the DC beltway.

They were keeping the revs up, and lane splitting/weaving, etc., etc. These guys can ride with almost impunity because it will be nearly impossible for the police to stop them.

If the police can't stop them, I wouldn't be surprised to see legislation that will.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:10 PM   #73
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Kill Ratio

Hell Yeah. See my response? I'll live down to his lowest expectations every time. F$ck him and the horse he rode in on.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:20 PM   #74
bigdx
Founding Member

According to Easterbrook's way of thinking , we should ban all small Toyota's?

Really? Can the Toyota top out close to 200mph? No? Oh? Does it out accelerate a Corvette? No? So maybe youÂ’re talking about your interpretation of Easterbrooks thinking. Maybe you need to read the article again Â…

bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:37 PM   #75
obandoj
Founding Member

Well done!
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 06:37 PM   #76
Jvliv
Registered Member

Here is a copy of my e-mail to Dan Easterbrook,

OK Dan, I guess you don't like motorcycles. I am 53 years old, and although I do not own a Hayabusa, I do own a motorcycle with a significantly better power to weight ratio than a Corvette. Since we are on the subject of Corvettes, I guess that they should be banned along with a number of Ferraris, Porsches, Maseratis, and any other high performce automobile or motorcycle.

The Hayabusa exists for exactly the same reason as the Corvette. However, the average person can get 4 Hayabusas for the price of one Corvette. I agree that the Hayabusa does not have all of the safety equipment that the Corvette has, but neither does a moped, a bicycle, or my daughter's horses, and I don't think you have an issue with them.

I do not ride motorcycles in order to behave in an antisocial manner. If Dan Rothlesberger, or me, or anyone else chooses to ride a motorcycle, it is none of your business. Personally I think the idiot tailgating my family car in his 6000 pound SUV is just as antisocial as the motorcyclist zooming by at excessive speed or the Harley with loud exhaust pipes.

I guess I will stop watching ESPN until you nolonger work there. That is a shame, because I enjoy ESPN coverage of some sports.

f my e-mail to ESPN:
Jvliv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 06:58 PM   #77
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: Kill Ratio

Oh, longride, now you are just acting out with puerility.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:01 PM   #78
cgarrison2k6
Founding Member

Default Re: Which views he expressed are ignorant?

"No need to wonder, the government (either state or federal) will make..."

This sounds like you are endorsing the government deciding what is "sensible."

How will I have a motorcycle accident if I can't ride one? Obviously this question needs no answer.

I hope that the imbeciles you speak of do moderate their behavior, or better yet, that the imbeciles who endorse legislating away irresponsiblity lose their ability to enact or enforce legislation.
cgarrison2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:19 PM   #79
seruzawa
The Toad

But... but... but.... it's for the children! I mean, if it will save just one life! And if it will protect our borders.......
Old 08-09-2006, 07:46 PM   #80
JBAXX
Registered Member

Big Ben didn't crash His Hayabusa because he was speeding or driving recklessly. He crashed due to an inattentive car driver making an illegal left turn directly into His path. Let's ban moronic car drivers instead. Freakin' idiots...
JBAXX is offline   Reply With Quote