Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 08-09-2006, 12:14 PM   #51
wolfpack_fan
Registered Member

Default Re: Ding, Ding, Ding! We have a Winner!

And by the way...what would the result have been if Ben had been riding one of his Harley Davidsons instead? Exactly the same--a painful face plant into an immovable object.
wolfpack_fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2006, 12:16 PM   #52
bigdx
Founding Member

Default Re: 'Sayonara, Hayabusa', says ESPN Writer.

"Nobody remembers the majority who ride reasonably."

True, and added to that, nobody forgets the irresponsible asshat.

"It's a perception that we as a community need to turn around."

That can only be done by eliminating the riders who ride irresponsibly. No amount of responsible riding can eliminate the perception caused by even a single asshat that rides irresponsibly.

"but don't simply dismiss him as a moron"

Nope, he is going to make bus riders out of all of us. Unfortunately the majority on this board has dismissed (and underestimated) him already.

bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:21 PM   #53
killer5280
Registered Member

"The courts seem to think otherwise."

Well, uh, gee, what do you think a federal court (often with a judge who has a lifetime appointment from the executive branch) is going to say. The Constitution is clear; the courts are confused and unaccountable.

"Sure thing, but then many motorcycles invade folkÂ’s lives by creating hazardous situations on public roads. I pay taxes and I vote. Why should I allow my childÂ’s life to be put in danger each time she crosses the street to go to the store?"

Your whole argument is classic straw man stuff. This kind of hysteria created the Hollister biker stereotype; for every time I feel my life is endangered by a motorcycle, I must see 10,000 bonehead moves by people in cars on cellphones, but I'm not calling for banning cellphones or cars. (Actually, I can't remember ever feeling endangered by someone on a motorcycle, although I have seen lots of stupid riding that endangered the rider.)

Your child is statistically much more endangered by thousands of other things besides sportbikes. If someone is endangering someone else, we have laws and remedies for it, but Easterbrook's column is about banning things as a kneejerk reaction based on emotion. Not only is it stupid (and ineffectual), it's unconstitutional. This is the same idiotic argument that guns, not people, are responsible for killing people.

killer5280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:40 PM   #54
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Kill Ratio

I don't disagree with the fact that a lot of riders don't have a lot sense. But this guy is calling for a ban of a motorcycle based on some percieved huge danger to the public. While there is certainly a danger, it's relatively small, probably very small, compared to the danger posed by SUVs. (Or probably even drivers using cell phones.)Yet, because of flawed perceptions, no one is calling for a ban on SUVs (nor would I advocate one) and many states don't have cell phone & driving laws.

I have been reading the responses, and in fact, have sent my own to Mr. Easterbrook.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:44 PM   #55
seruzawa
The Toad

Did you see the latest one? The Feds are saying they have the right interfere with local law enforcement any time they wish because they give out Homeland Security money.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:46 PM   #56
seruzawa
The Toad

One of the most dangerous things is a swimming pool.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:51 PM   #57
Fenton
Founding Member

I'm sure you don't agree with any majority. I'm glad you are here as the voice of reason.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:53 PM   #58
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Ding, Ding, Ding! We have a Winner!

Dude, this guy edits for the New Republic. You are wasting your time pointing out logic to him.

Make a senseless emotional argument incorporating false statistics instead. He might respond to that.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:53 PM   #59
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Yes, I need an editor

I usually don't bother responding to this kind of stuff, but it's a little slow at work. Yeah, it's really long. If he actually reads it, I hope his eyes bleed.

Mr. Easterbrook,

No doubt, soon youÂ’ll be flooded with e-mails from angry members of the motorcycling community stemming from your item in TMQ, "Sayonara Hayabusa," that is, if you havenÂ’t been already.

You may have expected some negative response to your piece, but IÂ’m not sure youÂ’re prepared for the magnitude of outrage. Why? Because motorcyclists are forced to read and hear the same kind of sensationalist, inaccurate drivel almost every day.

Your kind of nonsense threatens an activity that brings joy to millions of responsible motorcyclists. To call for a ban on any motorcycle based on your prejudices, flawed conclusions and outright incorrect reporting is the height of arrogance and irresponsibility. I only take comfort in the fact that anyone with any influence probably wonÂ’t take you seriously.

As evidence of your tenuous grasp of the subject, let me point out a couple of, eh, problems with your piece. You stated that a Suzuki Hayabusa can accelerate from 0-100 mph in three seconds. Actually, you seemed to be drooling over that "fact." Where did you get this fairy tale? ItÂ’s closer to 5.3 seconds, which is still quite fast, but nowhere near your claim. How you could put so much emphasis on that point and get it totally wrong is, frankly, mind-boggling.

You have also made an inference, which you seem to assume is fact, that somehow because the bike is capable of such acceleration and speed that itÂ’s responsible for a high, or at least significant, number of second-party deaths. How did you come to this (wrong) conclusion? Motorcycles of any type rarely hurt anyone except their riders and passengers. We canÂ’t say the same about SUVs, the worst kind of ego-machine. SUVs kill many times more people per accident than any passenger vehicle. There are also many more on the road. Should we expect an item calling for the ban of SUVs in TMQ next week? I wonder how all of those NFL players will get to the games this year?

You also imply that most of the blame for Ben RoethlisbergerÂ’s accident should be placed on the motorcycle itself. Huh? While Ben showed exceptionally poor judgment in choosing to wear no protective gear and was likely riding a bike that was beyond his limited riding skills, the driver of the car in the accident was deemed totally at fault, which by the way, the vast majority of car drivers in car-bike accidents are. The motorcycle was not traveling at a speed unattainable by any passenger vehicle. This is either a hare-brained deduction or willful deception.

You should also know that a large number of motorcyclists take riding skills and training very seriously (since it is somewhat more difficult skill in which to become proficient, than say, driving a passenger car). What kind of training or skill-building activity, aside from 11th grade driversÂ’ education, have you participated in to improve your driving skills?

And, incidentally, thereÂ’s at least one very good reason why motorcycles are quicker to accelerate than cars. One of the only things you managed to get right is that motorcycles have no real passive safety features. However, we use acceleration and agility as part of an active safety system to avoid all sorts of moving and stationary hazards, not the least of which is the inattentive, food munching, stereo fiddling, cell phone yapping droid in the 5000 lb. SUV. You may think that a motorcycle such as the Hayabusa is still overkill, and some of us may agree, but frankly, youÂ’re obviously not qualified to make that assessment.

Few serious motorcyclists condone reckless riding, stunting or outrageous speeds on public roads, In fact, many of us are active in reducing this behavior, but the danger that this type of minority behavior poses to the public is relatively small compared to, say, the small and often overlooked act of using a cell phone while driving a car.

I wonÂ’t even address your Constitutional insight as it is totally laughable. IÂ’m sure others will, though.

Leave the motorcycles to the experts and brush up on your "journalism." You need some practice.

Regards,

pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:58 PM   #60
seruzawa
The Toad

Sorry, the one thing that's going to save us is that so many legislators are baby boomers and own Harleys.