Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Paranoid News Clips

Old 08-09-2006, 10:46 AM   #41
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Kill Ratio

I'm sorry, to be more accurate I should have defined the kill ratio as the number of second party deaths per each accident with an SUV.

pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2006, 10:59 AM   #42
TomSmith
Founding Member

Default Re: 'Sayonara, Hayabusa', says ESPN Writer.

Easterbrook doesn't care so long as he can get "free" trips on corporate jets. Maybe Mr Heinz-Kerry will loan him his from time to time.
TomSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:10 AM   #43
rick_1
Registered Member

My 0.002$ worth:

Mr Easterbrook,

Your artical blasting the Hyabusa is opinioned at best and factually lax. I'll concide, I don't agree with riding without a helmet. However, you said nothing of the fact the accident to Mr Rothberger was caused by the car driver. And the size, speed, power of the bike had nothing to do with this. BTW, you didn't mention the Hyabusa speed is limited to 186 mph and the zero to 100 mph is optimistic by about 2-2.5 seconds. Anyway, there are other areas to be outraged at--how about head injuries to horseback riders? How about the fatigued driver (ie, lack of sleep)? How about the availability of hand guns? etc, etc. The Hyabusa is an expert-only motorcycle. Why not go after those who allow the sale of this type of machine without ever having to offer any proof or demonstration he/she has command of the requisite skill set.

Next time, do a little research.
rick_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:12 AM   #44
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

I'm with you there killer. The Feds surfit of unconstitutional laws stem from a twisted reading of the "general welfare" and "inter-state commerce" clauses that the framers of the constitution warned us about.
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:13 AM   #45
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: I'm surprised no one else pointed this out

What do you expect from a talking pap smear like that?
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:17 AM   #46
bigdx
Founding Member

Default Re: Kill Ratio

Sure, but kill ratios of SUVÂ’s do not invalidate the arguments set forth in the article. Many motorcyclists have not got the presence of mind to realize they are engaging in irresponsible behavior that is going to cost all motorcyclists. In fact many feel incensed by the fact that their puerile behavior is rightly coined as such.

I have read a few posters responses to the article. You do the same as I rest my case.

bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:33 AM   #47
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"except I would wear my helmet "

Of course you would, you have to! )
Old 08-09-2006, 11:51 AM   #48
skeepee
Registered Member

I disagree with this Mr. Easterbrook, but don't simply dismiss him as a moron (though he may be). He is a perfect example of how much of the non-riding public views motorcyclists.

Dozens are killed/murdered/maimed in auto accidents every single day, but driving is seen as a necessary, perfectly normal thing to do. Almost a god-given right. Riding a motorcycle? That's the realm of suicidal idiots.

Nobody remembers the majority who ride reasonably. They remember the jrekoff doing the wheelie down the interstate. They remember the guy with drag pipes that woke them at 2am. They remember the article about some 18 y.o. kid who bought a crotch rocket and creamed himself 10 minutes off the lot. And at some point they're gonna get fed up with our perceived nonsense and do something about it.

It's a perception that we as a community need to turn around. It's not going to correct itself.

skeepee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:55 AM   #49
pudlepirate
Registered Member

Default Re: I'm surprised no one else pointed this out

yeah I saw it, the quarter is at just under ten, 0-100 in 3 must be closer to 6 second? teritory
pudlepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:05 PM   #50
wolfpack_fan
Registered Member

Default Ding, Ding, Ding! We have a Winner!

Finally somebody hit the nail on the head! Ben, while riding a bike capable of ridiculous speeds, WAS NOT SPEEDING when the accident occurred. If you send this a$$ hat a email, be sure to point that out. The accident report indicates that speed was not a factor. Period. An older lady failed to yield the right of way and TURNED LEFT IN FRONT OF HIM. I can't remember her age, but it doesn't matter anyway--she (or he) could have been 16, 26, 38, whatever, and done the same thing. Maybe his article should be "Sayonara, Grandmama" and argue for no driver's licenses for people over the age of 60. Riding helmetless is yet another matter, but Ben made his choice and has to deal with the consequences. Personally I prefer to have the choice, but I always choose a helmet.
wolfpack_fan is offline   Reply With Quote